• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    The carbon steel will still take on the smell and taste. It is not the iron or steel that absorbs the odor but the layers of seasoning on the pan. Get a dedicated "fish" only pan. I am one of the weird folks that has a dedicated fish, potato, egg, bacon, sausage, etc ... pan. There are at least five pans stacked on my range at all times and plenty in reserve just in case.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    ...Now I know why I have two Lodge 10" pans.

So, Christopher Kimball's Milk Street Radio had a segment on the cult of Griswold. I happen to be a card carrying member, because my Grandmother gave me that membership long before I understood the joys...

Anyways, I wanted to see what the current value of that Griswold 12 is... checking Ebay... :faint:

Griswold is great and all, but at those prices, a Lodge from TJ Maxx is the best value.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]So I started this project a few months ago and it’s final finished. I needed to come up with something different to store my cast iron skillets. Did a quick google search and saw something like this. I had a 4 foot by 8 foot butcher block that my grandfather had for a work bench in his wood shop. I cut out a section of it 24”x32” and only did a light sanding on it because I wanted to leave the tool marks that my grandfather had made on it. For the base I used 3/4” black galvanized pipe and 2” wheels so I could roll it around the kitchen. I finished the top with Howards oil and conditioner. Three coats of each and it turned out really nice, I love seeing those tool marks from my grandfather, it sure brings back some memories working along side him in the wood shop.

[/FONT]

[/FONT]

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    [FONT=&amp][FONT=&amp]So I started this project a few months ago and it’s final finished. I needed to come up with something different to store my cast iron skillets. Did a quick google search and saw something like this. I had a 4 foot by 8 foot butcher block that my grandfather had for a work bench in his wood shop. I cut out a section of it 24”x32” and only did a light sanding on it because I wanted to leave the tool marks that my grandfather had made on it. For the base I used 3/4” black galvanized pipe and 2” wheels so I could roll it around the kitchen. I finished the top with Howards oil and conditioner. Three coats of each and it turned out really nice, I love seeing those tool marks from my grandfather, it sure brings back some memories working along side him in the wood shop.
    [/FONT][/FONT]

Sweet!

I wish I had space for my cast iron children to be seen.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    Very nice Jay!

I have an excellent condition vintage House of Webster Country Charm electric iron skillet (model S 60).
    If anyone wants to trade a gun or some ammo for it let me know
    :cool::ingo:

bacon#1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2014
    Outside The Matrix
    [FONT=&amp][FONT=&amp]So I started this project a few months ago and it’s final finished. I needed to come up with something different to store my cast iron skillets. Did a quick google search and saw something like this. I had a 4 foot by 8 foot butcher block that my grandfather had for a work bench in his wood shop. I cut out a section of it 24”x32” and only did a light sanding on it because I wanted to leave the tool marks that my grandfather had made on it. For the base I used 3/4” black galvanized pipe and 2” wheels so I could roll it around the kitchen. I finished the top with Howards oil and conditioner. Three coats of each and it turned out really nice, I love seeing those tool marks from my grandfather, it sure brings back some memories working along side him in the wood shop.

[/FONT]

[/FONT]

I like this very much. Recently I used black pipe for my daughters bedroom. I can get some oak flooring out of semi trailers for the top at no cost. Gonna steal this idea, it will clear out an entire cabinet and display the cast iron. Yay, reason to get the router out!

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    The carbon steel will still take on the smell and taste. It is not the iron or steel that absorbs the odor but the layers of seasoning on the pan. Get a dedicated "fish" only pan. I am one of the weird folks that has a dedicated fish, potato, egg, bacon, sausage, etc ... pan. There are at least five pans stacked on my range at all times and plenty in reserve just in case.

So now i need to decide between CI and CS. I read that some CS warps at high temps. I'm tempted to just get another Lodge CI, as that would be the cheapest... it wouldn't get used more than 2-3 times a month. I grill salmon outdoors, only do the panfish indoors. My nonstick skillet isn't so nonstick these days, and I'm trying to get away from those, anyway.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]So I started this project a few months ago and it’s final finished. I needed to come up with something different to store my cast iron skillets. Did a quick google search and saw something like this. I had a 4 foot by 8 foot butcher block that my grandfather had for a work bench in his wood shop. I cut out a section of it 24”x32” and only did a light sanding on it because I wanted to leave the tool marks that my grandfather had made on it. For the base I used 3/4” black galvanized pipe and 2” wheels so I could roll it around the kitchen. I finished the top with Howards oil and conditioner. Three coats of each and it turned out really nice, I love seeing those tool marks from my grandfather, it sure brings back some memories working along side him in the wood shop.

[/FONT]

[/FONT]

I'm out of rep so I had to quote you. What an incredible work of art and a future family heirloom!! I was very very impressed reading and seeing this. Nice job! I love it when people can preserve the past and also put their own modern spin on things

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    Lonehoosier,that is a real nice piece.There is also more room for the pieces that you will obviously add in the future.It is a addiction.

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Thanks, HS. I haven't done anything with them yet. I just switched to 3-12s on days instead of 5-8s on evenings and I'm getting used to it so will be doing more. i think I will build an outfit like Lone Hoosier posted. I could find a bunch of uses for it. Is the lye just to remove the grease that is burnt on? These pans don't have any grease on them. I also have one Lodge square pan that is cracked. I've seen cast iron brazed successfully and also using nickel rod. What do you think the chances of success are? If you ever have a morning free in the middle of the week I'd meet you for coffee in order to pick your mind. Nothing in Charlottesville that I know of but there is Carol's next to the jail in Greenfield. Let me know.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    Thats very nice, lonehoosier... We've been collecting cast iron skillets at auctions, family hand downs, etc. Now I know what/where to place them. Could you upload a pic looking up at the bottom of the top where the legs and hangers meet.

Very nice! :yesway:

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    I found this griddle in a wooden box, that I had forgotten about. I cleaned it up and coated it with some lard.

H5QXWY4.jpg

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    Thanks, HS. I haven't done anything with them yet. I just switched to 3-12s on days instead of 5-8s on evenings and I'm getting used to it so will be doing more. i think I will build an outfit like Lone Hoosier posted. I could find a bunch of uses for it. Is the lye just to remove the grease that is burnt on? These pans don't have any grease on them. I also have one Lodge square pan that is cracked. I've seen cast iron brazed successfully and also using nickel rod. What do you think the chances of success are? If you ever have a morning free in the middle of the week I'd meet you for coffee in order to pick your mind. Nothing in Charlottesville that I know of but there is Carol's next to the jail in Greenfield. Let me know.

Lye will remove anything organic. Seasoning, crud, oils, food, etc... it will not do rust though. The etank will take care of that. Or a soak in vinegar and water. As far as the cracked lodge, it can still be used for baking, but I wouldn't use it for anything with grease or liquids due to the fact if it breaks you have a mess or fire hazard on your hands. As far as repairing it, I wouldn't mess with it. It isn't worth it and often times it doesn't work well and it looks bad.

wakproductions

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Good cast iron will be nearly glass smooth on the cooking surface. Most newer stuff is cast more roughly and has an almost pitted surface.

I notice this as well. Recently bought a Lodge cast iron skillet and have to constantly reseason it because stuff keeps sticking to it. In comparison, an older pan that's been in the family has a smooth surface and always cleans easy.

I wonder if taking a power sander to the newer skillet to smooth it out would be effective. Other than the oiled seasoning, they wouldn't happen to have any factory special coating on them, would they?

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    I wonder if taking a power sander to the newer skillet to smooth it out would be effective. Other than the oiled seasoning, they wouldn't happen to have any factory special coating on them, would they?
    That will solve the problem.I have done it with a air angle grinder,and quick change sander wheels and watered down rubbing compound.I have some older NOS Lodge which came from the factory baby butt smooth.But now,they seem to be the only game in town so they don't have to smooth polish it.The iron quality is top notch,but I am sure they are saveng money by not polishing the inner surface.

Top Bottom