• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    I've got 4 in the oven now, 3 cast, 1 carbon.

Hand glaze with soybean oil, wipe "dry" with paper towel, buff with plastic shopping bag to remove lint, 425 for 1 hour, cool in oven.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Just fried a couple of eggs... in cast iron as usual.

Like others said, make sure its hot before you start to cook and keep it lightly coated in oil...doesn't seem to matter what kind as far as I can tell.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Mine is not Lodge brand but it it similar. I always keep it oiled, and I always get the skillet hot before I put the food in. But like others have commented, it has some texture, and isn't very smooth. I'm thinking that may be the problem. I might need to buff it down.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    The new additions cooling after a seasoning session...

Clockwise from top left... SK6, SK8, CRS10, and 90G
    D3rOQuC.jpg

Last edited:

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    I have 2 old Griswold skillets, one 8" and one 10'. Have had them for about 15 years. I have never seasoned them, even after the couple of times someone washed them with dawn and steel wool. I remember once, mine was scrubbed down to fresh light grey iron. I just went back to cooking something in oil and they reseason fine. The big trick, to me at least, is not letting someone near them with detergent and water if possible. To clean them all I do is add a little oil back into the skillet and reheat it, it doesn't work well after you let it cool off, then add course salt and scrub really well with a paper towel until any stuck remnants release. Discard the salt and the used towel and then wipe clean with a fresh paper towel. I don't have a lot of experience with new cast iron. I assume the surface texture is rougher than mine which have had about 70 years to be worn smooth.

That being said, the only time I use my cast iron anymore is if I have to finish cooking in the oven or on a camp fire. Otherwise, I love these cheap ~$25 new non stick coatings in my cookware. As long as you never put non-stick spray in them they work great. They brown pretty well too. To clean them I taken them right off the cooktop and run them under water. The steam lifts everything right off and I haven't had any problems. They have plastic handles so they can't go in the oven though.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    To break in or re-season frying a pound of bacon is the best thing. Use peanut oil for before grilling to make great char marks on the lodge square grill and also to season skillets. It took a little time but works great now. To clean use a green scotch bright to scrub with salt on the tough stuff this also helps make the cooking surface smooth. For the really tough warm up it up on stove a little. After cleaning place on heat dry out all moisture, wipe down with oil.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    FWIW, the ONLY way I ever clean my cast iron is by deglazing with water while they are still hot. Bamboo or wooden scraper while it’s still sizzling to get anything that might have stuck.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    When I cook with my cast iron I've yet to find anything that salt, a touch of water or oil and a paper towel won't clean up. When my wife uses it I typically end up removing everything and starting over.

I've had good luck with flax seed oil, bacon grease and crisco. I honestly haven't found too much of a difference between them. A couple of cycles of baking it on and letting it cool before I start cooking with it has been sufficient for me. That said, I have a non stick pan I use for eggs and don't plan to stray from that approach anytime soon, I like things easy.

Top Bottom