• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • reno

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    Indiana
    I have been casting bullets for a few years, not as many as my father did and not as many as several others have. Generally I have few problems.

In the past few years I purchased two hollow point molds from Lyman. One was for my 44 calibers and one for the 45 auto's and revolovers.

These two molds really gave me fits to cast a decent bullet. I had read on a message board or two how hollow point molds can be difficult. I would get one occasionally but more than usual they went back into the pot.
    I finally wrote to Lyman and simply asked them how best to correct this. I explained my process and technique,and asked for their help.

I received a reply the next work day. It was very helpful. The instructions were to the point, easy to understand and they simply said what works best for them but to try doing this and try doing this.

I went home from work, turned the furnace on, then started casting. At first I noticed a difference trying one of their suggestions. Then I found what seems to the technique for me using these hollow point molds. I now cast bullets pratically every time with them.

I wrote back and thanked them and explained their suggestions were almost perfect for me.

Just wanted to say that the guys at Lyman know what they are talking about, and obviously they also cast bullets.

It is great in this day to have experienced and helpful people.

Thumbs up to the folks at Lyman technical services or customer service departments.

Thanks again,

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Most of good casting is temperature and alloy. Temperature you can control, alloy is getting harder to scrounge these days.:)

reno

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    Indiana
    any chance posting their suggestions to possibly help some of us beginners out?

Sure, Here is what the problem was, I was not getting good consistency with the hollow point bullets being cast. Very seldom did the point of the bullet form correctly, also at the base of the bullet, the base was not perfect. I asked if I needed to pour direct from a furnace, and then just asked for them to help me out and explain what works best.
    I explained all of this to Lyman.
    Their suggestions were ; They said that generally using these type moulds it is best to use a dipper pouring into the mould from the dipper. That I might increase the temperature some of the pot. I could try either of these methods. Putting the spout of the dipper into the sprue hole of the mould and pouring , or leaving a gap to actually see the molten lead pouring into the mould. They said I should try each method. If I was using one of these now, to try the other method.
    I had been placing the spout of the dipper into the sprue hole. So I tried keeping the dipper spout out of the sprue hole and seeing the molten lead fill the mould. This works perfectly. I now rest the bowl of the dipper on the mould block and tilt the dipper a bit to pour the molten lead into the sprue hold. This give me almost perfect control over the pour and a very small sprue to cut off.
    I did increase the temperature of the pot also. This does seem to help fill the mould better and completely.
    Then allowing the mould to get to heat is very important. It does not take long. It seems that seeing the pour allows air to escape and the mould to fill completely.
    You will have to find the technique that fits you I am sure, but resting the bowl of the dipper on the mould block helped me a great deal plus, watching the pour go into the block.
    The folks at Lyman all seem as though they cast bullets themselves, or at least those who answered my questions. So they are speaking from experience just hit this one perfectly. Plus the fact it did not take a lifetime to hear back. Next business day they sent the suggestions to me.
    I could not be better satisfied.
    Hope this helps you out.

Top Bottom