• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tyler318

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2017
    Washington
    This was my first time casting lead in muffin tons. I have saw online videos of people using cheap muffin tins and haveing no problems.
    I tried today and once the lead set up in tins it would not come out for anything. How are u guys using those cheap Walmart muffin tins and haveing good results? Any help would be much appreciated

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Do you mean they were stuck in the tin? How long are you letting it cool in there? You should let them cool just long enough that they aren't liquid and won't fall apart.

That being said, I've never used the cheap tins. I use either a proper mold or cast iron. I've never had a problem with either one.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I've never used the muffing tins, just the standard ingot molds. They slide into the Lee pots easier.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Did you spray them with Pam first? :):

Sorry, I can't speak to the tins. I discovered that the lyman ingot mold worked best for my setup early on. Invested in a couple more during a Midway sale later.

I fill them on a wet towel. By the time I'm to the end, the first are ready to tap out, upside down onto concrete.

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    I've got some Lyman ingot moulds but I'd rather use the gingerbread men moulds I got at Goodwill. They have a good release angle and drop ingots readily. Look for stuff that has a shallow angle or radius to the sides.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    We use garage sale special muffin tins all the time. Let them set just long enough to set up and dump them.
    We water quench our ingots, let them sit after dumping out of the tins to make sure they're set up completely and throw them into a bucket of water.
    We have a master caster and the muffin tin ingots fit nice. They worked great in the RCBS caster and the Lee pot

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    I also use the Lyman ingot mold. I bought the Lee ingot mold but sent it back because it was such poor quality that there was an actual hole in one of the cavities.

Top Bottom