• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

redwingshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Greenwood
    So I will be casting my own bullets in short order and I had a question about molds. I'm a volume shooter, so one and two cavity molds are not going to be ideal, so with that in mind what are everyone's preferences? I'm mainly looking at the Lyman 4 cavity molds and the Lee 6 cavity molds though I do see that Saeco has a 4 cavity offering. I am somewhat familiar with the benefits/shortcomings of steel vs. aluminum molds. Namely, steel will stay at a more consistent temperature longer compared to aluminum but aluminum is a lot cheaper. I'd rather not drop ~$200 per set on Saeco molds but if someone can give me a good reason why they are better than Lyman or RCBS I will definitely consider it. I'd just love to get a consensus on here about what people have had success with and what all of your preferences are. If you do take part in the poll please leave a comment as to why you picked what you did, I think it would be good for future reference for new casters. Thanks in advance!

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    It all depends..

Wing,as you know from my posts, I am NOT a Lee FanBoy, but...I only cast handgun bullets, and for my use the Lee 6 Gang mould is my go-to..

They do get to temp quick, and drop good bullets usually on the second mould full.

I lube-size all of my bullets, so the "Tumble Lube" style is NOT for me.

If you are looking at rifle bullets then I would go for a higher quality mould..

My 2 cents worth..Bill

Harley46982

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 85.7%
    6   1   0
    Oct 18, 2010
    Over the years I have had good luck with the Lee 6 bangers. I keep a hot plate next to my casting bench and pre warm the mold on it and set the mold down on it if my arm gets tired and I need a break. I always lube the mold befe each session and sometimes halfway thru if I'm doing alot. Some will tell you that they do waer out faster than steel and I have found this to be true but I got at least 100k out of my last 9mm 125 gr mold and when you consider the cost it paid for itself over and over.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Almost all of my molds are either Lyman or Saeco and two Hensley & Gibbs gang molds that were my Grandfathers. I also have a few custom molds from Steve Brooks. Years ago I bought a few Lee molds trying to save a few bucks and I was just not happy with the life span ( the pivot pins got sloppy and caused problems with the mold aligning pins ) along with bullet diameter and weight fluctuated more than what was acceptable to me. The hotter the molds got the larger the bullets got. Now with pistol bullets that's not that big of a deal, but with rifle bullets that's different. Most of my rifle bullets I shoot as cast I still use a lubri-sizer but I use a die that is one thou larger than my bullet diameter. With steel molds once you break them in you are GTG for decades.
    I would say depending on what kind of shooting and what volume you shoot will dictate the nessessery quality of the equipment you need.
    Are you just goofing with Pistols on the weekends and a shoot a match a few times a year ?
    Or are you a precision pistol / rifle shooter ?

Amended... I never got 10% of the lifespan from a Lee mold that the above post has gotten. I just can't see that many bullets being cast with steel pins wearing in a aluminum mold. I would think if a Lee mold lasted that long, a company that casts bullets for a business was would set their casting machines up with 18 dollar molds verse 85 dollar molds. JMHO

And I will ad that I'm not bashing Lee here, Lee makes some great products and for a huge portion of guys that cast they will be quite happy with Lee molds. It might be beneficial for you just to start with Lee molds and save a bunch of cash..

Last edited:

redwingshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Greenwood
    I should have mentioned this was for pistol shooting. The plan after casting is to powder coat them and then run them through a sizer to bring them down to proper diameter. Thank you all for your comments, rep coming for all of you!

ETA: As far as what I call volume, I have shot probably 3-4k 9mm this year so far. I suspect I'll end the year around the 5k mark so this is the volume I'll be casting at.

Last edited:

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    I should have mentioned this was for pistol shooting. The plan after casting is to powder coat them and then run them through a sizer to bring them down to proper diameter. Thank you all for your comments, rep coming for all of you!

ETA: As far as what I call volume, I have shot probably 3-4k 9mm this year so far. I suspect I'll end the year around the 5k mark so this is the volume I'll be casting at.

Why not just get a mold that will drop bullets at the diameter you need with the Alloy you plan to use and bypass the sizing all together ?
    If you plan on volume like you say, eliminating steps greatly increases output volume.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    At the volume you shoot, myself I would just buy Lee 6 gang molds and I would spend my money on a Lyman or a rcbs 20 lb bottom pour lead pot.

perminator

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    east side indy
    ive used the lee 6 cavity mold with tumble lube for years but for the last year ive been using a hardline 2 cavity no groove mold and powder coating then sizing them. i really miss the volume and operation of the 6 cavity mold the aluminum really heats and cools quicker than steel. ive since decided im ordering a master caster this week.

noylj

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2011
    Never had a problem with ANY bullet mold and never had to do any prep or modifications. Only complaint about lee aluminum molds is they cool too fast.
    My favorite mold is the RCBS 452-201-SWC

Lee S. Forsberg

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2011
    I have molds by all of those makers including other. Some drop bullets well some don't a situation shared by all mold makers. I tend towards SAECO because most of my SAECO mold drop bullets well, that is consistently. Molds other than Iron work well for as long as they last.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Used about everybody's brand molds and modded some for special work. Each has its advantages, and types of bullets available. A piece of advice on Lee 6 cavity molds it to not let them sit long after filling. Much hard yanking on the sprue cutter shortens the mold life.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    For me it's Lee. They are cheap, easy to use and work every time. I picked up a couple other brand molds second hand but definitely prefer the Lee molds.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    We use a wide range of molds, it all depended on what we could find when we were buying. Plus we inherited quite a few. All seem to make good bullets.

mac45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2008
    I voted for Lee.
    Not that I don't like the other molds I have, but Lee gives you the most bang for your buck.
    Try one of their 6 bangers. I think you'll like 'em.

jstory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2015
    Wabash
    Another vote for Lee, it was said earlier, best bang for the buck. I buy the 2 cavity, don't know about life span, never had to replace any...

parson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    New Castle
    Most of my molds are Lee. I have one NOE mold that is very good, but doesn't cast any better bullets that the Lee molds. As for the 6 bangers, keep the mold hot or else the sprues are difficult to cut. I've of more than a few sprue cutters being broken on Lees.

Top Bottom