• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Crydaddy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 30, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Im seriously considering casting as my next journey to the reloading hobby. I have a question about sizing. Do i need to size bullets everytime? Is there a mold that eliminates this step? I found a lee 6 mold that people state they do not need to size yet i see a lot of people size as well.

Im planning on shooting around 2-300 a week. Can you recommend a sizer that is efficient and easy to operate as well as a heating pot that is reliable?
    Thanks!!

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    You do need to size and lube all of your bullets. The easiest way I have found is the Lee sizing dies and the Allox Lube they have. You use your press to size them and also to install gas checks if needed and you lube them with a liquid lube then lay them on their bottoms on some wax paper to dry overnight. All of this is laid out in the instructions which you can download and read for free at the Lee Site.
    Lee Precision the Innovative Leader in Reloading Equipment

You need to find the correct diameter die for the bullets you are casting to use this or ANY system you will use to size & lube your bullets. I also use a Lee Furnace.

if you do a search of this forum, you are sure to find a :poop: load of threads just like this one on the subject that are sure to answer this in more detail. If you still have a question, then ask away.

mac45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2008
    The as cast size of a bullet can vary depending on the alloy used, so yes, bullets should be sized after casting.
    They MUST be lubricated before loading.
    Some folks, like Warthog above, use Lee's liquid Alox.
    Others, like myself, prefer traditional sizer/lubricators such as the Lyman, or RCBS.
    Lee's has the advantage of being cheaper, (and that is a big advantage).
    Traditional lubricators have the advantage of being cleaner, and you can load 'em as soon as you're done sizing.

FWIW, I have a Lee furnace which I like a lot, and a Lyman 450 Sizer Lubricator which I don't like as much as my buddy's RCBS.

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    Supposdly if you use the Lee Moulds with the small grooves which are made for liquid Alox you do not NEED to size them, so sayes Lee.

I do not use that style of mould and I use a convential lube sizer, so do as you wish.

Regnar

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Knox
    You need to slug your barrel and compare that to your cast boolits.
    Your castings will change with your alloy. So just because your first batch was "X" your next batch may be different.
    Do your reading, because if you screw up, YOU will pay for it one way or another.
    There are folks using hBN for cast and others using powder coating.
    Research...

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I have a Lyman Lubrisizer too, a 450 as a mater of fact. I use it too. I just try to use the Lee more. It is cheaper and I am on a fixed income so money is tighter than it usually would be. Even the so called "Tumble Lube" molds are supposed to be calipered for oversized bullets and those are supposed to be sized. I use those molds and they work just fine, I even used them before I used the Lee Lube dies.

I wasn't sure the Allox stuff worked well. So I steered clear of it as I didn't want to waste my money. One day someone gave me a few bottles of the stuff so I sized the bullets as usual and a small batch I didn't lube with my Lubrisizer. Instead I put them in an old snap top tub, squeezed way too much of the lube on them, didn't know how much to use after all, then picked them out of the mess, one by one with my fingers and set them out to dry overnight. I loaded them onto some cases and shot them later that week. I wanted to make it a good test so I loaded them a bit hotter than I usually would have and fired them then, when cleaning time came looked for leading. I also fired 500 of these things over a weekend without cleaning the gun. No leading was found and I was sold.

It's messier and you do have to let the bullets dry before you can use them. There are also some calibers/diameters that are not available to the Lee Sizer system but they are slowly but surely expanding to cover things, even where they don't have molds. I still cast and load .25 ACP for instance, took me a while to find a mold and when I did it was an old Lyman 2 cavity mold at a Flea Market that was being sold as kitsch since the guy didn't even know what it was for, even had the original box. I guess he didn't know that you were allowed to make your own ammo because he seemed a bit dubious when I told him what I was going to do with it. Like some folks look at you when you tell them you brew your own beer, they think it is illegal but do say anything for fear that you are some sort of mobster? That's how he looked at me. LOL

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    I have a Lyman Lubrisizer too, a 450 as a mater of fact. I use it too. I just try to use the Lee more. It is cheaper and I am on a fixed income so money is tighter than it usually would be.

Lee Cheaper? I make my own lube, it basecially free. My Lee catalog states "Micro Band Bullets usually require no sizing".

One thing to really watch for when using Alox tumble lube it deposits a coating on the seating rod of the seating die, this coating gets thicker and thicker to the point of seating the bullet deeper and deeper, thus increasing pressure upon firing.

This is the main reasons I went to a Lyman sizer/luber. I have 2 sizer/lubers one I got for $10.00 the other cost me $15.00. Most of the dies I've p/u used at gun showes.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I am able to wipe the stuff off. That is how I manage the build up.

The instructions say USUALLY, which means they need to be inspected, which is what I said I believe. You are free to do it your way of course, this is America :patriot:

I would be interested in how you make your own lube though, if you would share it. I have the one and I can't remember what I paid for it. I got it when I bought out a guy who was going out of the casting business along with his molds, a ton of bullets and other equipment and sundry items. I like it fine, I just like the Lee system better. I do find it both cheaper and easier to use. Not here to argue.

45-70

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Cale
    I have not re-sized my 45acp or 45-70 rounds for years I just make sure that the mold is dropping 1-2 thousandths over bore size, tumble lube and load. The only bullets I re-size are those with gas checks making sure that they too are 1-2 thousandths over bore size. For everything up to 1800 fps 45-45-10 lube works just fine. Jump in and get your feet wet after a while you'll figure out for yourself what works and what doesn't. It's another hobby within a hobby etc all the way to pulling the trigger.

Lots more info here Cast Boolits

A parting thought, never use a factory crimp die with lead bullets period. Doing so re-sizes (under sizes) the bullet which will result in leading every time.

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    I am able to wipe the stuff off. That is how I manage the build up.

The instructions say USUALLY, which means they need to be inspected, which is what I said I believe. You are free to do it your way of course, this is America :patriot:

I would be interested in how you make your own lube though, if you would share it. I have the one and I can't remember what I paid for it. I got it when I bought out a guy who was going out of the casting business along with his molds, a ton of bullets and other equipment and sundry items. I like it fine, I just like the Lee system better. I do find it both cheaper and easier to use. Not here to argue.

I still do not understand the cheaper thinking, but thats entireally up to you and your decision.

Regarding making the lube I use bees wax, which around here with all the Amish bee keepers is not expensive by any means, or one can substitute yellow wax from toilet bowl seals, new of course. I then add parafine wax, this can be purchased at grocery stores or you can use whats left from old candles. Carnuba wax is my next item, use the was from makers mark whiskey bottles or the wax that covers guda cheese, or you can use auto wax that is carnuba wax, I happen to have a number of cans of it that I use. I then thin it with mineral oil till I get the hardness/softness I wish, this step might take 3 or more melts.

The waxes I use about the same amount od each then add the oil, just a little and melt it all together, then let it harden then add more oil if not soft enough. If you get it to soft add more parafine or bees wax.

Nayls47

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2009
    Noble County
    Im seriously considering casting as my next journey to the reloading hobby. I have a question about sizing. Do i need to size bullets every time? Is there a mold that eliminates this step? I found a lee 6 mold that people state they do not need to size yet i see a lot of people size as well.

Im planning on shooting around 2-300 a week. Can you recommend a sizer that is efficient and easy to operate as well as a heating pot that is reliable?
    Thanks!!

I use the Star Sizer and have no experience with the others. I like this one because the sized and lubed bullet gos out the bottom into a bucket as the next one is sized and lubed. I also use the Lee production bottom pour pot
    Magma Star Lube-sizer :twocents:

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Thanks jcwit, I like the way you mix that up. I may look into that and perhaps I can then get more use out of my Lubrisizer which is a 4500, not a 350. I checked it last night. I need to get a new heater for it as the old one won't heat up any more. If I was making my own lube the way you are I suppose I wouldn't call the Lee way cheaper but I'm not. I use store bought stuff and between the actual lube and the difference in time it takes me to do one over the other it is cheaper for me to use the Lee. YMMV and it seems it does. :)

Anyway, I still use the Lubrisizer now and then, mostly for rifle bullets that will be pushed a bit faster. The Lubrisizer does a better job if seating gas checks for sure but for everything other than rifles, even this is done well enough with the Lee system for me with the handguns.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    I have been using the Lee Tumble Lube style bullets with the micro bands for several years, with very good results. I do not size, but shoot as cast, with no problems and tumble lube with a 50% 50% mix of Alox and Johnsons Paste Wax with no leading. Warm both the JPW and Alox slightly whisk the JPW to liquify it, then whisk in the Alox.

mongo404

Master
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Frankfort
    If you dont size your bullets its not if it will bite you its when. I shoot between 15,000-20,000 40s a year and all of them get sized and yes I use lee molds in .356 and .401 I got bit twice in matches not sizing and case guaging my ammo. It will never happen again!! I tumble lube with lees alox and mix it 60/40 with mineral spirits. Smokes a bit but isn't a big deal to me.

Duke Short

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2013
    Casting Boo-lits

Please bite the bullet and get sizer lubricator lyman rcbs personally I have 2 star mfg machines. You can use allox without a heater works this works fine unless you plan to shoot rocket loads. Magma is the parent company, easy to use and set up. Get on the websites for all do your research but others have already advised slug the bore, size, lube load carefully, get good alloy. If you do so you will have a good product. If not as always you end up with dookey. Oh and lead is hot and will burn you not an if thing it's when. Don't forget ventilation.

tallend

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    always---use eye protection when casting---long sleves and gloves-------

from experience-----I dropped some folded lead in the lead pot---it had a small ammount of water in it-------the pot erupted--I had burns on my face,hair,neck and wrist---If I did not have glasses on I would have lost one of my eyes,as the lead totally covered one lense

as I primarily cast for 45-70 BlackPowder Ctgs----sizing and lube is mandatory

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Yeah, I slid a wheel weight that apparently had some water on it into the pot and got a big surprise as well.

I always wear a face mask, the flip down kind so I can wear my glasses, and welders gloves along with long sleeve COTTON shirts. Always wear natural fibers as nylons and other chemical polymers will melt to your skin and make the burn worse while natural fibers simply burn through and don't make it worse. In fact they resist burn though better and may give time for you to take the garment off and avoid a burn altogether.

Top Bottom