• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    central IN
    A sign at the gatehouse says, "Firearms may only be used or possessed in the legal pursuit of game or in designated areas".

I thought LTCH carry was legal at state parks now?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I'm pretty sure Cataract Falls is managed by the ACoE. That's federal and off-limits.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    IIRC, only parts of it are ACoE, not the entire park. I don't know which parts, though.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Here is some additional info:

ACoE Info on Cagles Mill;
    Corps Lakes Gateway: Indiana - Cagles Mill Lake

There is a link to the property map on the right side of that page.

Anything inside the project boundary (pink area) is ACoE property, and you cannot carry there. It looks like the Lieber State Rec. Area is outside of the boundary (green area), as long as you stay well away from the water.

Silly ACoE. They only federally managed rec areas that still snub their nose at the 2A.

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    central IN
    The lake map (link title "lake map", left side of Corps Lakes Gateway: Indiana - Cagles Mill Lake , leading to a dl of the map article.asp.pdf ) shows yellow, green, and tan areas. Yellow="Operations Area", green="Recreation Area", and tan="Approximate Project Boundary".

Page Corps Lakes Gateway: Indiana - Cagles Mill Lake
    says, toward the bottom, that only the Dam / Tailwater is Corps managed. Also it says that the "Cataract Falls Rec Area", "Cunot Boat Ramp", and "Lieber State Rec Area" are managed "by others". By "others", do they mean DNR?

Since the Cunot boat ramp falls in the map's "Approximate Project Boundary", and is said to be managed by others, should we believe that only the area in gold (i.e the "Operations Area") is ACoE off-limits? If the ACoE area includes the tan "Approximate Project Boundary", then some homes and everyone driving through on the roads within (including 42) are in violation?

Seems needlessly confusing.

Last edited:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Seems needlessly confusing.

You've got that right.

Take this for what it's worth (and it's worth just what you pay for it!), but I believe that the only areas that are "off limits" are the Operational Areas.

Operational areas vary widely between each ACoE property. Heck, there's even one ACoE property in IN, Roush Lake, that has a public shooting range. It's because that particular spot is "managed by others" and isn't in the "operational area".

The above post is wholly my opinion...keep that in mind.

-J-

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    You've got that right.

Take this for what it's worth (and it's worth just what you pay for it!), but I believe that the only areas that are "off limits" are the Operational Areas.

Operational areas vary widely between each ACoE property. Heck, there's even one ACoE property in IN, Roush Lake, that has a public shooting range. It's because that particular spot is "managed by others" and isn't in the "operational area".

The above post is wholly my opinion...keep that in mind.

-J-

Shooting ranges at an ACoE property is exempted from the "no loaded firearms" rule.

§ 327.13 Explosives, firearms, other weapons and fireworks.
    (a) The possession of loaded firearms, ammunition, loaded projectile firing devices, bows and arrows, crossbows, or other
    weapons is prohibited unless:
    (1) In the possession of a Federal, state or local law enforcement officer; (2) Being used for hunting or fishing as permitted under §327.8, with devices being unloaded when transported to, from or
    between hunting and fishing sites;
    (3) Being used at authorized shooting ranges; or
    (4) Written permission has been received from the District Commander.
    (b) Possession of explosives or explosive devices of any kind, including fireworks or other pyrotechnics, is prohibited unless
    written permission has been received from the District Commander.
    [65 FR 6901, Feb. 11, 2000]

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Which is why you should call your congressmen and ask them to support the Recreational Lands Self-Defense Act, HR1865, which is designed to protect the rights of gun owners on lands owned or managed by the Army Corps of Engineers (similar to recent legislation that made it legal to possess firearms for self-defense on National Park Service and National Wildlife Refuge System lands). Eliminate the patchwork! Eliminate the confusion!

NRA-ILA :: H.R. 1865, The Recreational Lands Self-Defense Act Introduced

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    Unless it has been changed in the last couple of years, the person in the gatehouse accepted my state park pass and allowed me to enter. I also used it to get into Richard Lieber state park. Both of which would normally indicate IDNR control. You used to have an IDNR boat pass to launch from the big boat ramp area. I am pretty sure that the ACOE, since the lake was constructed as a flood control facility, only controls the dam, the spillway and the surrounding areas that they purchased in the 50s for the construction of the facility. It is the IDNR that seems to patrol the lake outside of the larged boomed in area above the dam. There might be some control over the land that might be covered by ordinary high water or the normally highest pool level. I will have to see what more I can find out. I have a cottage over in Hoosier Highland at the base of the dam on Mill Creek. 15 years ago the manager of the dam used to let me target shoot, both black powder and modern rifles and pistols in the spillway area. You probably would not be able to do that nowadays.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    Unless it has been changed in the last couple of years, the person in the gatehouse accepted my state park pass and allowed me to enter. I also used it to get into Richard Lieber state park. Both of which would normally indicate IDNR control. You used to have an IDNR boat pass to launch from the big boat ramp area. I am pretty sure that the ACOE, since the lake was constructed as a flood control facility, only controls the dam, the spillway and the surrounding areas that they purchased in the 50s for the construction of the facility. It is the IDNR that seems to patrol the lake outside of the larged boomed in area above the dam. There might be some control over the land that might be covered by ordinary high water or the normally highest pool level. I will have to see what more I can find out. I have a cottage over in Hoosier Highland at the base of the dam on Mill Creek. 15 years ago the manager of the dam used to let me target shoot, both black powder and modern rifles and pistols in the spillway area. You probably would not be able to do that nowadays.

The whole area is owned by the ACoE. It is only managed by the DNR.

Since it is OWNED by the ACoE you have to follow the ACoE rules while there.

That rule is written into the IAC covering "public use of DNR lands" & in the rules promulgated by the ACoE.

Top Bottom