• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    I Know everyone is focused on the deer rifle proposals right now and the upcoming turkey season but please take time and comment and support these proposed regulations. As of now there are absolutely NO regulations on catfish on the Ohio river and Inland rivers being commercially fished. Catfish are then sold to pay lakes. These regulations will change that. They are long over due

http://www.in.gov/nrc/files/lsa14510_proposed.pdf

Here is the Link to give input; www.in.gov/nrc/2377.htm

Thanks -

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    Yea they are. The guy who runs indy pay lake was under investigation for how he was harvesting fish for his lake. He was basically running turtle cages 24/7 but submerged.

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    I'm not getting it either. Pay lakes, even though I avoid them at all costs, are businesses making money, providing jobs, and hopefully paying taxes. It's not like the river is going to get over-fished.

FWIW, I don't know if I could eat catfish that came from either place.

ETA: Can a case be made to require someone doing this to acquire a commercial fishing license? And, what would that accomplish?

Last edited:

throbak

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2015
    United States
    Hello All I will try to explain Pay lakes used to be a place to go and get a mess of catfish for dinner farm raised fish . Now they are places to go and gamble on who catches the biggest catfish and to Bust the jar , a pot where all who want donate and the biggest fish wins all these Big Catfish are coming from our commercially fished rivers in Indians there used to be just a few P Lakes in the tri state now there are close to 1000 all wanting big fish .. these big cats are being taken UNREGULATED faster than they can be replaced in a river environment on avg a 10 lb blue or flathead is 10 to 15 yrs old a 50 lb is over 40 yrs old Ohio , Penn,West VA, allow NO commercial fishing (CF) Tenn has some regs the rest of the states where the PL fish had at one time got fish as ALA does no live fish can leave the state INDIANA and Kentucky Have NO regulations and the CF are Killing the rivers taking these publicly owned fish and turning a profit for a few if this practice is not stopped or regulated there will be no large catfish left in the river also new studies have just come out that these fish are flat tearing up the asian carp and zebra mussels a huge help in keeping these invasives at bay pay lakes can still operate with FARM RAISED fish and CF can still fish for other species just not unregulated catfish

Top Bottom