• ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    USCCB Committees Call For Action In Response To Newtown Tragedy

Appears they are speaking out for their flock and in favor of weakening the 2nd Amendment.

Yes the Catholic Bishops tend to favor gun control.

Fortunately within Catholic doctrine is the authority for individuals to decide for themselves on issues of social justice. So we are allowed to not only be faithful Catholics but also reject the opinions of Bishops on this type of issue.

12many

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    over there

Fortunately within Catholic doctrine is the authority for individuals to decide for themselves on issues of social justice. So we are allowed to not only be faithful Catholics but also reject the opinions of Bishops on this type of issue.

:yesway::yesway: from another Catholic

Osobuco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010

Indeed. It is considered a case of prudential judgement where the circumstances must be weighed to determine the correct action. Generally, it applies to situations where two people could weigh the circumstances differently and ethically come to different conclusions. Because they could come to different conclusions "ethically" it is not and cannot ever be a matter of doctrine. Same goes for going to war. It too resides in the realm of prudential reasoning. The bishops merely offer an opinion. It is not dogmatic church teaching.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I just wish the Bishops would stick with speaking publicly on faith and morals.
    I know such statements aren't binding on individual Catholics, but it wouldn't stop me from writing them a letter expressing my disdain for insertion of their opinions into this matter similar to when we write our Congressman etc.

neraph

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    To be perfectly fair, this is 3 bishops out of about 450 in the USA. These three don't speak for all of them.

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    **** the Vatican II-loving Modernist bishops.

thank you for that intellectually stimulating, well-reasoned post.

Anyway, This is not a matter of faith, it is a matter of Politics. A priest once told me he had faith in 2 things at the altar: Transubstantiation and the .45 under his robes. I do not agree that there needs to be more restrictions placed on handgun purchases.

I do agree with the aspect of that letter that decried the violent culture we live in. When children are exposed to the callous disregard for life shown in most video games, movies, TV shows, News articles, etc... they are going to pick up on that.

Top Bottom