Caught in Cook County, Illinois with a gun in the car!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    Is it possible he said yes when LEO asked if there were NE weapons in the vehicle? Not that that matters.

New England weapons? Like a Mass-compliant pistol? :):

FYI right on your handgun permit it states "THIS LICENSE IS SUBJECT TO SUSPENSION AND/OR REVOCATION FOR FELONY ARREST AND/OR IMPROPER OR RECKLESS USE OF A HANDGUN

Sounds like he was arrested for a felony- it does not say conviction. Improper/reckless use does not apply imho as he was not using the handgun- use to me is firing it at the range and being a dumbass doing tricks...

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I wouldn't be surprised if a personal protection permit popped up when they run a person's license.

Next thing they are going to do is search the vehicle for weapons in the police state of IL

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New England weapons? Like a Mass-compliant pistol? :):

FYI right on your handgun permit it states "THIS LICENSE IS SUBJECT TO SUSPENSION AND/OR REVOCATION FOR FELONY ARREST AND/OR IMPROPER OR RECKLESS USE OF A HANDGUN

Sounds like he was arrested for a felony- it does not say conviction. Improper/reckless use does not apply imho as he was not using the handgun- use to me is firing it at the range and being a dumbass doing tricks...

Doesn't really sound much like a "right" reading about it in this thread. Sounds more like a "mother may I" granted at their leisure by politicos and their lackeys. Something you might have to PAY for or APPLY FOR, may be fill out AN APPLICATION and get PERMISSION to exercise.

Sure isn't sounding much like a "right" that shall not be infringed.

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    Sounds like a Plaxico without the ND. Without knowing a lot more, its hard to say what his chances are really. Pleas can be affected by things like prior records and how big a hard-on the prosecutor has for out of state offenders. In short, its hard to say, but I wish him the best, he'll need it.

P.S. Tell your friend not to date such idiots when there are single guys who're not complete retards.

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    I know a guy that did more or less the same thing. He was able to pay a lawyer, lost the gun in question and avoid a felony charge. He still has his IN LTCH. However, this happened 20 years ago.

Backwoods

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    You might want to post this on illinoiscarry.com. The site is for people trying to get CC in IL. They would have the names and info to help you out with a lawyer.

ChrisK

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Starke County
    It is very common for the police in Illinois to search a car from Indiana if they see NRA stickers or they happen to see the PINK PAPER. They will come up with something to cover the probable cause.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Hobart
    That really sucks bigtime. I carried once by mistake, and I didn't know the laws in Illinois. I was on S Exchange thank God, and I turned around and went over the state line. Then I was safe.

bradp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Jamestown, IN
    Probable cause is a touchy subject on a TO stop. The officer better damn well be sure they have it to search the vehicle. Never, I repeat never give consent to search. The officer does not have the right to violate your Constitutional right to illegal search and seizure. Maybe a lawyer on here will speak up. But I forgot Il can make up their own rules. I just stay away from the armpit of America (Cook County)

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Probable cause is a touchy subject on a TO stop. The officer better damn well be sure they have it to search the vehicle. Never, I repeat never give consent to search. The officer does not have the right to violate your Constitutional right to illegal search and seizure. Maybe a lawyer on here will speak up. But I forgot Il can make up their own rules. I just stay away from the armpit of America (Cook County)

+1 Back when I had my 2001 dodge intrepid w/ 20% tinted windows I was stopped at least once a month in ILL. Every single time I was asked if they could search. Most times they gave me the "nothing to hide" guilt trip, just fighting drugs, line of crap to a full on third degree. Every time I politely declined the search and they didn't write me a ticket.

I got pulled over for some really stupid stuff, "GPS window obstruction", tail light out that came back on when I pulled over... ect. ect.

On a few of those stops they almost had me convinced I should let them search, lol! Almost ;)

I also got stopped quite frequently here in Indiana as well, however I don't recall being asked about searches. All my IN stops were great compared to ILL. Once in ILL they ran a drug dog over the hood of the intrepid! TWICE! Total b.s. being in ILL.

Anyway now I roll in a new Trail Blazer with 5% window tint and haven't been stopped once in the year and half I've owned it. Go figure... darker tint and no one wants to screw with me, lol. :dunno: Best investment for saving myself time I could have ever gotten :cool:

The reason I related my ILL stories is that they pressured me (from state to city cops) like crazy to search everytime I was stopped. Had me wait for half an hour to bring out a drug dog, under the pretense it took 30 minutes to write a GPS window warning. Convient just as he got done wiritng it was the same time the K9 pulled up eh? :rolleyes:

If your friend consented he was a complete idiot. No other way to put it. I hope he didn't. On the occasion I cross over and have a gun on me it gets unloaded and locked in the glove compartment. He should have unloaded it and it'd be a misdemeanor IIRC.

I had a neighbor about 10-15 years ago (guy was in his 60's when I found out) that went into chicago for a wedding and got searched. He lost his gun but got off with a $500 fine and that was in the city of chicago. He's moved and I don't know how he pulled that off.

Get a very good lawyer and write off the gun. I hate to hear these stories. Moral of it. NEVER consent. EVER.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    This is just so sad and sickening to me.

Why does some "imaginary" line on the land make some a criminal of a victimless crime!
    You step 1 foot over into IL with a load gun and you are a criminal yet you can walk all over IN (some exceptions) and be completely OK when our federal law (BOR) says it's okay to carry arms.

*sigh*

spainy79

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    I've ventured into IL a couple times with a hand gun. The first time me and some friends were going 4 wheeling but I didn't know we were going to IL. As soon as we crossed over the Wabash I put the gun under the seat; out of sight, out of mind and that was in 2001. I made no mention of it to anyone while we were there plus one of the guys we met up with was an IL state trooper. The most recent was in Feb. of '07 when I had to go to Paris to pick up a buddy and his kid (long story). When I left my house I grabbed my 45 and didn't think anything of it until I actually got to Paris. I opted to take highway 150 back as it was my quickest way to get my ass back over on the good side.

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    It isn't just out of staters, I know of a fella from IL who was coming to a SASS shoot in IN and was stopped. He was in an RV with all his guns in cases in the back and they impounded his RV, confiscated his guns and arrested him. When he stopped, they asked him if he had guns (presumably, they saw the stickers on his RV) and being in compliance with IL law, he said yes. Then all hell broke loose.

Lucky for this guy, his relative was the Attorney General of Missouri and a phone call later he was released, had his guns, RV and an appology.

34oSc

Sounds like the guy DID break the law, so lets look for a loophole and try to get our little Plaxico out....naw.
    My bet is the pistol didn't go under the seat till the reds came on.
    If you can't do the time don't do the crime.

Top Bottom