• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LegatoRedrivers

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2011
    Hey, I did a search, but didn't spot anything pertinent right off the bat. :joke:

I wanted to see if anyone knew about the caving restrictions due to white nose syndrome in bats. A friend told me that they confirmed the fungus wasn't being carried into the caves by humans, and thus lifted the restrictions - but I can't find anything about that online. You know the old saying, "Trust, but Verify." :patriot:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Both the US Forest Service for our district, and the State of Indiana have not lifted the restrictions for state or federally owned properties. You can go caving on private property (with the owner's permission of course).

www.caves.org for the National Speleological Society website which links to all the information you can ever need.

The specific WNS page is http://www.caves.org/WNS/index.htm

And just in case you are wondering about my credentials regarding this subject, I am a lifelong caver, the head of one of the commissions of the NSS, and manager of one of the NSS Cave Preserves.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I am assuming that this is a DNR issue. If you can't get the information you need via the usual methods, you can go to the front door and call the governor's office at 317-232-4567 and speak with someone who will likely be able to steer you to the right person and probably even transfer the call without any effort on your part.

How about that? You get better information from shibumiseeker in the time I spent typing!

LegatoRedrivers

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2011
    Both the US Forest Service for our district, and the State of Indiana have not lifted the restrictions for state or federally owned properties. You can go caving on private property (with the owner's permission of course).

www.caves.org for the National Speleological Society website which links to all the information you can ever need.

The specific WNS page is White Nose Syndrome Page

I am assuming that this is a DNR issue. If you can't get the information you need via the usual methods, you can go to the front door and call the governor's office at 317-232-4567 and speak with someone who will likely be able to steer you to the right person and probably even transfer the call without any effort on your part.

Thanks for the info, guys. It's a little cold to be caving right at the moment, but I should probably let my friend know he's mistaken before spring rolls around and he decides to go through some caves. :yesway:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Thanks for the info, guys. It's a little cold to be caving right at the moment, but I should probably let my friend know he's mistaken before spring rolls around and he decides to go through some caves. :yesway:

Cold is no restriction to caving ;) I go a couple of times a week.

Even though caving on public lands is almost completely restricted (and the DNR is serious about enforcement) but private properties are open, it's a good idea to stay out of caves with significant bat hibernaculum until May.

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    I am not a tree-hugger or bat-lover or anything of the kind, but it probably is not a good idea to go into any cave used by hibernating bats. To wake them up from hibernation causes them to burn up fat reserves needed to help them make it through the hibernation period. If they are disturbed, they will likely not make it through winter, especially if it is a longer than normal winter. The white nose syndrome, to my understanding, causes them to wake up and leave the cave for food which will not be there at this time of the year. They burn up all reserves in their futile search and just end up dying from starvation. I used to go caving year round when I was at IU and for many years thereafter. I thought nothing of it if I disturbed hibernating bats on my way through the caves. Now, I wish that I had known then what I know now as I do regret my carelessness.

Clay319

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2012
    Boone County
    Has any one heard if Cave River Valley is ever going to open back up? Once the DNR got in charge I figured something would happen to close it. The WNBS seemed to be the excuse they wanted. That used to be a great place to go.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Never heard of WNBS and the caving restrictions until now. I use to go caving with my father when I was around 6 or maybe younger, we were in Indiana at the time ( In the Westfield/Noblesville area I believe )
    I was wanting to go caving this year, so glad this thread came up!
    Remembering things from when you are little, is kind of hard. But I will put it out there, and hopefully someone can answer.
    I remember two caves. One had a huge entrance that you just walked into, down a lazy decline, and it was filled with graffiti, mostly blue graffiti.
    The other was a hole in the ground, you had to drop into it vertically.
    I know, not many details, but maybe some of you cavers will recognize the descriptions.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008

The specific WNS page is White Nose Syndrome Page

And just in case you are wondering about my credentials regarding this subject, I am a lifelong caver, the head of one of the commissions of the NSS, and manager of one of the NSS Cave Preserves.

Oh, what do YOU know about caves? :whistle:

:rofl:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Has any one heard if Cave River Valley is ever going to open back up? Once the DNR got in charge I figured something would happen to close it. The WNBS seemed to be the excuse they wanted. That used to be a great place to go.

Indiana DNR as an organization has no real interest in allowing people to cave recreationally and WNS was a real convenient excuse for them to close the caves. I predict that it will be quite some time even after the feds reopen caving in the National Forest before IDNR does.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Never heard of WNBS and the caving restrictions until now. I use to go caving with my father when I was around 6 or maybe younger, we were in Indiana at the time ( In the Westfield/Noblesville area I believe )
    I was wanting to go caving this year, so glad this thread came up!
    Remembering things from when you are little, is kind of hard. But I will put it out there, and hopefully someone can answer.
    I remember two caves. One had a huge entrance that you just walked into, down a lazy decline, and it was filled with graffiti, mostly blue graffiti.
    The other was a hole in the ground, you had to drop into it vertically.
    I know, not many details, but maybe some of you cavers will recognize the descriptions.

You are talking about Buckner and Trapdoor. Trapdoor is (and always was, actually) closed per the landowner's wishes. People just trespassed for years there until they got serious about towing people's cars away. The entrance and part of Buckner is owned by the NSS now and managed by the RBNC, Inc. I'm the property manager and we allow caving by responsible people who agree to abide by the standard safe caving guidelines and who will behave properly as guests on the property, which, sadly, a percentage of our visitors don't as we still get garbage and graffiti left. Several hundred volunteers have spent several thousand man-hours cleaning up the cave and it looks better than it has at any time in the last 30 years. We've successfully prosecuted several vandals since the RBNC has managed the property.

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    I spent a couple of years doing active caving in central Missouri (not 24/7 of course). There are about 4-5 very 'deep' and awesome caves near Columbia and Jefferson City.... all but one are on State or Fed land.

One of those is similar to Trapdoor... enter thru a vertical hole for about 12-15ft and then thru narrow passageway that becomes a string of quite open and amenable large 'rooms'.. all natural, of course. It has an active spring that enters the main shaft about 75 yards in and then goes underground for a hundred yards or so, then re-surfaces for a ways and even has a small 'pond' in one place, about 250-300 yards in. You have to traverse the side wall to pass that section if you're not properly equipped and dressed. Great memories, man.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    i was camping at McCormicks creek last year and the cave system that runs through there was "closed" due to WNS. I stopped a ranger as we were the only people tent camping during the middle of the winter to ask about the cave. He gave us permission to check it out and go through it as much as we wanted to. So yes, they are closed due to white nose but it you talk to a dnr in your area then he may give you a go ahead if you arn't part of a large crowd. just my experience.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    The "ranger" may have given you the go ahead, but if a CO pulled up while you are walking out you are getting busted.

I tend to agree with this.

Unless, of course, it was a CO in the first place. Doesn't mean he had proper authority to give permission, though.

For a short time, I was a "seasonal security guard" at a state park. I was, as folks called me, "a park ranger". :rofl:

I, along with the majority of the other park employees (exceptions for the mgr., asst mgr, and the full-time security guard) had, in reality, no more authority than the salamanders I'd find in the talus.

-J-

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Unless, of course, it was a CO in the first place. Doesn't mean he had proper authority to give permission, though.

This is the case. It may mean he wouldn't take any action, but that's different than granting permission. Only the director of the DNR can set the circumstances where access is granted and thus far only scientific ones are allowed, and of course the state owned tour cave because it is mostly about money afterall.

Top Bottom