• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 6, 2009
    Jasper county
    Sorry if this is a dupe didn’t see it anywhere else when I looked.

Reading the article it seems odd as it mentions only firearms parts no actual guns, but then states the reason for Seizure was lack of an FFL.

Thoughts?

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Sorry if this is a dupe didn’t see it anywhere else when I looked.

Reading the article it seems odd as it mentions only firearms parts no actual guns, but then states the reason for Seizure was lack of an FFL.

Thoughts?

I've read this, I've heard it, I keep hearing there were no guns. Slings, grips, sights, but .gov is keeping illegal guns out. Whu??

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I've read this, I've heard it, I keep hearing there were no guns. Slings, grips, sights, but .gov is keeping illegal guns out. Whu??
    Exactly what I've been hearing.
    All parts, and not a single mention of receivers or frames, so no serialized parts.
    Now maybe they violated some import rule, but "illegal guns"?, Me thinks not.

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Wonder if it could be counterfeit stuff. I know magpul gets alot of counterfeit stuff shipped in

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    Seems shady. Either the government is in the wrong (what a shock) or the story is missing key information. From my understanding, gun "parts" non-receiver are allowable to import.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Unless these were "glock switches" I don't see what the problem is.
    (I don't see a problem with glock switches either, but that is another discussion)

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Seems shady. Either the government is in the wrong (what a shock) or the story is missing key information. From my understanding, gun "parts" non-receiver are allowable to import.
    Probably several things in play here:
    Quantities: It MAY be legal for your uncle Maury to send you a part or two because he can get the parts over there that sellers here just dont have. But its probably not legal for Crazy Yosef to ship a case of parts here for his cousin to resell.

Or the items were not properly declared, making them prohibited no matter that they are legal to own here. I'm pretty sure you cant import a case of firearm components and call them scrap metal. They may have even balked at "machine parts".

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    Or the items were not properly declared, making them prohibited no matter that they are legal to own here. I'm pretty sure you cant import a case of firearm components and call them scrap metal. They may have even balked at "machine parts".
    Quite Possibly. When I had to ship guns, I would classify them as "tools". IMO they are tools so it's true. (always shipped per federal and state regulations, e.g. to manufacturer, to or from ffl, etc...) But no sense in letting anyone who can see the bill of lading know what they are.

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    Here's the key issue IMO.
    CBP said the importer was not a federally licensed firearms manufacturer or dealer with no registration of being an importer.
    I believe this means that the persons/company importing these articles were not set up as a valid Importer of Record.
    The valuation of said articles exceeded the threshold whereby a Licensed Customs Broker would have had to transact the business with CBP.
    They probably thought it would slip through the consignment or express shipping channels without notice as up to a certain value shipments are actually cleared by the Fedex's, UPS's of the world.
    Not sure about the regs concerning gun parts, but with the status of the current ATF, anything is possible.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Probably several things in play here:
    Quantities: It MAY be legal for your uncle Maury to send you a part or two because he can get the parts over there that sellers here just dont have. But its probably not legal for Crazy Yosef to ship a case of parts here for his cousin to resell.

We banned "Crazy Yosef's Cousin" for skirting the classies a while back. He claimed he had a 53' sea-van full of AKs. Please, it was a 40-footer and it looked like somebody painted "Uncle Maury's Machine Parts" with spray-cans. Plus one of the pics had a toilet and another showed feet.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    And to put a finer point on my ideas, I'm sure the more "offensive" you get in regards to the items, the more likely they are to follow the rules to a T.

So if you fudge the description on foodstuffs, meh. No big deal as it doesnt offend anyone's senses. He said they were cookies but they were really brownies. But if they are anti gun and you dont declare "gun parts" they are going to confiscate for any related description. Yes, TECHNICALLY a gun is a machine and those were parts for a machine, but since you were not specific enough, kiss them goodbye.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    And to put a finer point on my ideas, I'm sure the more "offensive" you get in regards to the items, the more likely they are to follow the rules to a T.

So if you fudge the description on foodstuffs, meh. No big deal as it doesnt offend anyone's senses. He said they were cookies but they were really brownies. But if they are anti gun and you dont declare "gun parts" they are going to confiscate for any related description. Yes, TECHNICALLY a gun is a machine and those were parts for a machine, but since you were not specific enough, kiss them goodbye.

I have only shipped handguns a couple times but would not declare them as tools or anything but a firearm. I would worry about if the package was damaged showing what it was. Worse than that if it was lost or stolen, what then? You now have your firearm in the hands of a thief or at least some who sees no reason to return to owner. How do you file a report for something you lied about when shipping? Jim.

Top Bottom