• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tom Terrific

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    Marshall County
    I read that some states require that a legally armed citizen must disclose that fact when confronted by a law enforcement officer. Does Indiana have such a law? Am I required to notify the police when or if I am armed, even if he doesn't ask?:dunno:

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    As noted, there is NO 'duty to inform'. However, if (for whatever reason) a LEO runs your driver's license (traffic stop, whatever) it pops up if you have an LTCH. That doesn't mean you ARE carrying at that moment, but any LEO worth their salt is going to deduce that you, most likely, are.

IF they ask me, I have no issue responding in the affirmative. I have nothing to hide from them, so it's of no detriment to let them know if they inquire.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    IF they ask me, I have no issue responding in the affirmative. I have nothing to hide from them, so it's of no detriment to let them know if they inquire.

After you read a number of the horror stories posted by INGOers who used to think the same thing you might change your mind. :)

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN
    As noted, there is NO 'duty to inform'. However, if (for whatever reason) a LEO runs your driver's license (traffic stop, whatever) it pops up if you have an LTCH. That doesn't mean you ARE carrying at that moment, but any LEO worth their salt is going to deduce that you, most likely, are.

Sure the guy in the STEEL MASK has NOTHING TO HIDE!!! LOL

Go for it ACE! :laugh:

Somemedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    "Sir, I see you have applied for a weapons license in this state. Are you currently carrying a sidearm?"

Select one of the following:

A) "Nothing illegal officer"
    B) "Go pound sand"
    C) "Here's my license to carry"

State v Richardson:
    Once a valid LTCH is presented all questioning about the weapon should cease.
    Answer: C

If you answered A then:

"That's not what I asked, sir. If you have a side arm I'm going to ask you to step out if the vehicle and disarm you for your safety and mine. If the serial number is ok then your weapon will be returned and you will be free to go..."

A) "I've already told you there's nothing illegal here"
    B) "Go pound sand"
    C) "If you're asking me officer if I'd like you to handle my weapon during this stop I'd prefer not. I feel its safer where it is, and that's in its holster. I respect the job you do and don't wish to take up anymore of your time or mine so I don't consent to a search of my weapon, my vehicle or myself. Will I be free to leave now or is there something else I can assist you with?"

Indiana Code 35-47-14
    Officer safety is not a reason to disarm you without a warrant. If a single officer is on a stop and doesn't do a felony stop on you, it could be construed he doesn't feel you are a danger...(I ain't a lawyer...blah blah)

If things seem to escalate after that you may have encountered John Law on a bad day. Cooperate as much as you can agreeing with everything, smile alot and be polite . Record whatever you're able to without angering the bear any further and consult a reputable 2A lawyer if so needed. Knowing your rights is good, getting them on the side of the road may vary but please, be careful in doing so. Remember Rosa Parks as right as she was still went to jail.

J

JChapman

Traffic Stop

I was returning home from work and had my gun,in a holster, in my right saddlebag (locked) on my bike. Work does not allow weapons, so the gun must remain secured in my vehicle.

I was pulled over for speeding and realized my registration was buried in that right saddlebag. I knew the officer would be watching as I dug for the registration and I do not trust what reaction would of occurred.

So, I handed my license and LTCH to the officer and said 'My registration is in my locked saddlebag. I have a loaded, holstered gun in that same saddlebag'.

He instructed me to unlock the saddlebag, then proceeded to remove the gun, drop the mag out and clear the chamber. He placed the mag and round on the seat, took my paperwork and gun back to the car.

Now, I know that I could have argued these actions***but I also know an officer on a bad day, or one who is a prick (as pricks can be in any job) may decide to arrest me....thats okay, but my bike being hoisted onto a tow truck and put in impound does not appeal to me.

The officer returned, gave my ticket and instructions. He put the gun on the seat and said you may reload it after I am gone. I asked...."sir, what would of happenned if I had not informed you about the gun?". Response was priceless.."You would of lost your carry license for 6 months'.

Yep, I made the right decision as obviously this officer had no idea of the law and appeared to be the type that would take offense if I questioned him.

dlbrown75

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 90.9%
    9   1   1
    May 2, 2011
    Newcastle, IN
    "Sir, I see you have applied for a weapons license in this state. Are you currently carrying a sidearm?"

Select one of the following:

A) "Nothing illegal officer"
    B) "Go pound sand"
    C) "Here's my license to carry"

State v Richardson:
    Once a valid LTCH is presented all questioning about the weapon should cease.

If you answered A then:

"That's not what I asked, sir. If you have a side arm I'm going to ask you to step out if the vehicle and disarm you for your safety and mine. If the serial number is ok then your weapon will be returned and you will be free to go..."

A) "I've already told you there's nothing illegal here"
    B) "Go pound sand"
    C) "If you're asking me officer if I'd like you to handle my weapon during this stop I'd prefer not. I feel its safer where it is, and that's in its holster. I respect the job you do and don't wish to take up anymore of your time or mine so I don't consent to a search of my weapon, my vehicle or myself. Will I be free to leave now or is there something else I can assist you with?"

Indiana Code 35-47-14
    Officer safety is not a reason to disarm you without a warrant. If a single officer is on a stop and doesn't do a felony stop on you, it could be construed he doesn't feel you are a danger...(I ain't a lawyer...blah blah)

If things seem to escalate after that you may have encountered John Law on a bad day. Cooperate as much as you can agreeing with everything, smile alot and be polite . Record whatever you're able to without angering the bear any further and consult a reputable 2A lawyer if so needed. Knowing your rights is good, getting them on the side of the road may vary but please, be careful in doing so. Remember Rosa Parks as right as she was still went to jail.

:thumbsup:

Top Bottom