• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    Suggestions for a CC holster for around town and on the bike trail. Need to lose weight and bought a bike to help me. There are bike trails all over the area and beaches on the shores of Lake Michigan to ride all over. Have both small revolvers and pistols I can carry. Thanks for any information.

cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    The only way I have found to be be anywhere near comfortable is Small of back carry. I hate doing this, but IMO its the only way to keep one on my person while on a bike.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    The only way I have found to be be anywhere near comfortable is Small of back carry. I hate doing this, but IMO its the only way to keep one on my person while on a bike.

You dont want to have a solid piece of steel in your back, right against your spine, if you fall from the bike. :dunno:

Maybe a shoulder holster would be a good option.That way you can freely move your legs while riding the bike.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Belly Band styles are washable but depending on the firearm, your sweat is going to mess it up good. They're not really accessible to draw from quickly either.

I cc and oc different pistols on my hip (about 3 o'clock or wherever it's most comfortable). I'm not an off road rider or shredder or anything, just a point A to B rider.

Good luck getting healthy and enjoy ridin'.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    Fanny packs. Forget what anyone says about them being unfashionable. They're useful and comfortable.

Try a IWB holster or pocket holster inside the fanny pack.

Personally I OC while on my bicycle. If I want to CC I just pull my shirt over my firearm.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    As I have posted before check out Survival Sheath Systems' chest holster. I do not make any attempt to conceal. I ride between 5-10k per year and this is the best set up I have found because it keeps my pistol up out of the way of my legs, even in the drops on my road bike, I get zero sweat on the pistol because it gets plenty of airflow being in front of me and it is much more stable than a belly band or jersey pocket. I am currently in the process of having a similar set up built by Knapp Custom Holsters for my Kahr CW45 that also stacks a double mag holster on the front of the pistol holster.

http://www.survivalsheath.com/holsters/index.htm

Last edited:

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    As I have posted before check out Survival Sheath Systems' chest holster. I do not make any attempt to conceal. I ride between 5-10k per year and this is the best set up I have found because it keeps my pistol up out of the way of my legs, even in the drops on my road bike, I get zero sweat on the pistol because it gets plenty of airflow being in front of me and it is much more stable than a belly band or jersey pocket. I am currently in the process of having a similar set up built by Knapp Custom Holsters for my Kahr CW45 that also stacks a double mag holster on the front of the pistol holster.

SURVIVAL SHEATH SYSTEMS : Kydex Shoulder and Chest Holsters
    Wish they had a larger list of pistols for the chest holsters. I do like the system for carry.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I bought one for my J-Frame that I no longer have and as stated the selection is limited to the more popular models, so I am using the harness and having Knapp Custom Holsters build a replacement for my CW45.

Dick

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    Ive also been thinking of a good way to carry when offroad. On-road, I just carry my normal IWB holster so far, with no problems. Offroad though, im going to be wearing lighter shorts, and probably no belt, so the IWB isnt gonna work. Ive come up with plenty of ways to attach it to the bike, however I dont like that concept. If im going to be attacked on the trail, chances are its gonna be initiated by me being knocked off my bike, therefore Id be away from my weapon. I want to keep it on my person. That leads to a whole new set of issues though. You are going to go down from time to time. I dont want the gun to be in a spot that im likely to bash after falling and probably tumbling a little. So small of the back, hip, and ankle got ruled out by me. I do like that chest holster posted above. Looks as though it would be kept out of the way, a smaller gun could easily be accessed through the neck of a loose jersey, and during a crash, your arms should help keep you from bashing your chest. Think that may be the route I go

EDIT: nevermind, spoke before checking the gun list. None of mine are on it :xmad:

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    I bought one for my J-Frame that I no longer have and as stated the selection is limited to the more popular models, so I am using the harness and having Knapp Custom Holsters build a replacement for my CW45.
    I have a J-frame and will go with this holster first and one of the NWI INGO members on the other side of town makes holsters. Thanks for a suggestion update. Rep is on the way for you.

djhuckle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2012
    Seriously, uncle mikes fanny pack. It keeps it away from your sweaty body and you can position it in front or side for comfort or ergonomics. You will not get a second look on a bike with a fanny pack. Place for your wallet, cash and keys and use it when you stop for breaks and it's just right. You can wear clothes to "hide" it a little if you want too.

I also recommend putting it in a holster inside the compartment or creating something to prevent it from moving too much. Depends on if you will carry with or without a chambered round. You can also use the regular zipper areas for wallet/keys/cash. I've gone into tons of convenience stores/gas stations riding a bike with my G19 in the fanny pack and no problems.

Since you have your stuff in there, if anything goes down - it looks like you are just getting cash or whatever they want. Rip it open and take care of business.

Using a fanny pack at any other time is unacceptable... :)

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I often use a SmartCarry holster and move it to my strong side instead of what they advertise. I usually wear biking shorts and looser shorts over those and it conceals well under the looser shorts. I usually carry a mouse gun while biking.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    I carry my SP101 in a fanny pack when I ride the trails. Mine has multiple compartments. I use a lightweight Uncle Mike's holster to secure my gun inside the fanny pack.

I also carry my cell phone, Benadryl, Bandaids, peppermints, a granola bar or other snack and anything else I feel like taking when I go out for the ride. I put the items in the fanny pack that I want to have instant access to.

Using the fanny pack has worked out really well for me. If I were to fall or be knocked from my bike I would still maintain possession of my gun and my phone.

I have bags on the bike for tools, food for wildlife and other things. I also have multiple water bottle holders since I usually go through a lot of water when I ride.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    I used to carry a drop leg when riding my bike, but normal OWB with a Serpa works, too. I don't much carry drop leg, but that works.

Edit: Ohhhh. Concealed? Why would anyone do that?

Top Bottom