• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • columbusprepper

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    I've lived up here for about a year and a half. I've gone to places like Rural King and Wal-Mart in Angola and seen people OC with no problem.
    Recently i purchased the Keltec Sub 2k Gen 2 from my gun dealer (i'll keep him annonymous) and we walked about CC in fort wayne.

My G/F and i like to do alot of what Fort Wayne has to offer. Taste of the arts, Johnny Applessed Festival, Movie night on the lawn (can't remember what the place is called), we like to go see the theater, zoo, we just recently watched Mary Poppins....so anything and everything FUN the city has to offer.

My gun dealer told me that it was illegal to carry in any of Fort Wayne parks. So far I've googled it and cannot find anything on this.

Anyone in Fort Wayne ever had a problem OC or CC?
    What places can you not CC?
    are cops really bad when it comes to OC?

thank you all!

Kurr

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Jefferson County
    SB 292 struck down municiples banning firearms in their parks.

IC 35-47-11.1-2
    Political subdivision regulation of firearms, ammunition, and
    firearm accessories prohibited
    Sec. 2. Except as provided in section 4 of this chapter, a political
    subdivision may not regulate:
    (1) firearms, ammunition, and firearm accessories;
    (2) the ownership, possession, carrying, transportation,
    registration, transfer, and storage of firearms, ammunition, and
    firearm accessories; and
    (3) commerce in and taxation of firearms, firearm ammunition,
    and firearm accessories.
    As added by P.L.152-2011, SEC.4.
    IC 35-47-11.1-3
    Voidance of political subdivision ordinances, measures, enactments,
    rules, policies, and exercises of proprietary authority
    Sec. 3. Any provision of an ordinance, measure, enactment, rule,
    or policy or exercise of proprietary authority of a political
    subdivision or of an employee or agent of a political subdivision
    acting in an official capacity:
    (1) enacted or undertaken before, on, or after June 30, 2011; and
    (2) that pertains to or affects the matters listed in section 2 of
    this chapter;
    is void.
    As added by P.L.152-2011, SEC.4.

PS: I h-a-t-e the new Indiana code look up pdf format!

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    Yep. As Kurr stated, SB 292 says municipalities cannot make their own gun laws. If you did get confronted by LE, remember that; 1. Municipal code violations are not arrestable, the most they can do is cite you, and, 2. They can't enforce municipal codes that violate state law.

TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    IANAL

In Indiana no local government can make any law/ordinance any stricter than state law. In other words, they can't make any enforceable ordinances in relation to the carry of guns. Pretty much the only thing they can say is you may not fire guns inside their limits. However, they can't cite you for firing in self defense (well, they might but you could beat it in court). Study up on the state wide GFZs and you'll be okay since that list will apply state wide.

Keep in mind though that a few years ago cities could ban guns in their parks. Some still even have the old signage at some parks which is of course not enforceable. Some cities even still have the old unenforceable ordinances on the books. Further, there are still many city police officers, city counsel members, and park employees across the state that think they can still enforce such ordinances. Of course, like was said prior you can't be arrested for an ordinance violation (its an infraction not a crime). You would get a citation which would be thrown out in court.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    My G/F and i like to do alot of what Fort Wayne has to offer. Taste of the arts, Johnny Applessed Festival, Movie night on the lawn (can't remember what the place is called), we like to go see the theater, zoo, we just recently watched Mary Poppins....so anything and everything FUN the city has to offer.

A question for all the internet lawyers...

While a City Park in Indiana cannot ban guns what happens when the City rents the park to another organization? Can the renting organization (festival organizer) ban guns at their event just like many retail stores and restaurants do? Then they could ask you to leave or be trespassed. I believe that is what the Fort Wayne Three Rivers Festival does for their summer event. Isn't this the same approach at Lucas Oil where the event organizer (Colts or NRA) determine the event gun rules (not laws).

As an aside, living in Fort Wayne I rarely see people Open Carry. I do see some sloppy concealed carry with printing or exposure when shirts pull up a bit.

BADWOLF

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 24, 2015
    Small Town USA
    I think parks need to take the stance when a rental agreement is signed that the signer has to agree to abide by all Indiana laws while using the public property.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    While a City Park in Indiana cannot ban guns what happens when the City rents the park to another organization? Can the renting organization (festival organizer) ban guns at their event just like many retail stores and restaurants do? Then they could ask you to leave or be trespassed. I believe that is what the Fort Wayne Three Rivers Festival does for their summer event. Isn't this the same approach at Lucas Oil where the event organizer (Colts or NRA) determine the event gun rules (not laws).

Yes.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I've lived up here for about a year and a half. I've gone to places like Rural King and Wal-Mart in Angola and seen people OC with no problem.
    Recently i purchased the Keltec Sub 2k Gen 2 from my gun dealer (i'll keep him anonymous) and we walked about CC in fort wayne.

My gun dealer told me that it was illegal to carry in any of Fort Wayne parks. So far I've googled it and cannot find anything on this.

You and your [dealer] walked around Fort Wayne concealing a Kel-Tec SUB-2000?

I say out this guy for his misinformation. Someone in the business of selling guns should know about the laws.

Steve's right, 3RF and other groups can make their own rules; it's not laws, but they can ask you to leave.

And I've never had problems OC'ing here in the Fort.

Last edited:

BADWOLF

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 24, 2015
    Small Town USA
    So far noblesville parks department is the only one with a clauses in their rental agreement that's states it as a violation to break state or local ordinances. So I would think that if they refused to let you carry with a licence to do so would violate the rental agreement. I could be wrong and if I am Freeman will be by to correct me.....

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    You and your walked around Fort Wayne concealing a Kel-Tec SUB-2000?

I say out this guy for his misinformation. Someone in the business of selling guns should know about the laws.

Steve's right, 3RF and other groups can make their own rules; it's not laws, but they can ask you to leave.

And I've never had problems OC'ing here in the Fort.

They fit in a suit case or a rose box just fine.

Top Bottom