• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    I am going to drive our church van to Missouri for a competition in February. Based on the Missouri highway patrol site and NRAILA site it is legal to carry in Missouri. The real question is about carrying in church owned property. I know according to my research in MO churches are a nono unless you have permission but in a vehicle is the real question. I will have 8-10 kids with me plus my family, I am stuck as to carry or just put it in my luggage and take it out when we stop. What do I do?

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    The van might be church owned property, but does it have MO plates? It's a gray area.

Concealed means concealed. If the MO state law let me CC with my Indiana LTCH, I'd CC and just keep my mouth shut.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Or you could get permission from the church(es) involved. My friends who live in states where such permission is required haven't seemed to have a problem getting it.

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    So I should leave it in the trunk with ammo in the front of the vehicle. Pardon my ignorance and overlooking the Iliinois issue.

The Firearms Owners Protection Act has got your back. When travelling through IL, you should have the firearm unloaded and cased in the trunk. Since you will be in a van with obviously no trunk, I suggest having a lock on the case. I would also recommend having a trigger/action lock on the gun. Do NOT store anything in the front of the van. It is fine to have ammo and gun in same case, as long as it seperated within the case. The link below shows more specifics about the Firearms Owners Protection Act of 1986....you should check it out. It's also not a bad idea to keep a copy of the Act and laws of areas travelled through within your case. You can never be too prepared. ......As far as church being a no-no, I don't think that is the case, unless your church has a school on it's property or is directly related to a school, you should be fine. Churches do have the right, however, to instate their own rules. I would suggest clearing it with the church "authorities." :twocents:

THE FIREARMS OWNERS' PROTECTION ACT: A HISTORICAL AND LEGAL PERSPECTIVE

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Per MO state statutes
    Section 571-107 Endorsement does not authorize conceale
    (14) Any church or other place of religious worship without the consent of the minister or person or persons representing the religious organization that exercises control over the place of religious worship. Possession of a firearm in a vehicle on the premises shall not be a criminal offense so long as the firearm is not removed from the vehicle or brandished while the vehicle is on the premises;
    IMHO while the van may be owned by the church, it is not a place of worship. And since it is a vehicle, your allowed to possess in it.

ETA Also since you would be the person that is exercising control over the van, you could grant consent if they did say it was a church or place of worship.

And here is a site I like to check on different states.
    Handgunlaw.us
    IANAL, TINLA, YMMV Etc.

Last edited:

OutaAmmo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2010
    church van

The law has changed in Illinois. Check the ISP site.

Firearm Owner's Frequently Asked Questions

A firearm can now be carried in a case. A case may be a console or a glove box. A handgun must be unloaded but a fully loaded magazine or speed loader may be in the same case (Right next to the gun).

Hope this helps.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN

A firearm can now be carried in a case. A case may be a console or a glove box. A handgun must be unloaded but a fully loaded magazine or speed loader may be in the same case (Right next to the gun).

Hope this helps.
    I read the FAQ, and I didn't see any mention of a console or glove box, but it did mention "not immediately accessible, or broken down in a non-functioning manner". That leads me to believe that it would be a no-no to keep it in a console or glove box unless it is broken down in a non-functioning manner.

Am I missing something?

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    :ingo:

Hope this helps.

WRONG...unless you are an Illinois resident with a FOID card, this does not apply to you. The only semi-safe way to transport through IL is following the Firearms Protection Act guidlines.

I read the FAQ, and I didn't see any mention of a console or glove box, but it did mention "not immediately accessible, or broken down in a non-functioning manner". That leads me to believe that it would be a no-no to keep it in a console or glove box unless it is broken down in a non-functioning manner.

Am I missing something?

Correct......transporting in this was would be a big mistake....it is not worth the risk.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    There is only ONE rule that covers this...you have a vanload of children to protect. Carry your gun! Neither the authorities in Illinois or the ones in Missouri will protect them for you!

Top Bottom