• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Turn Key

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I seen sooo many barrel manufacturers "Not recommend the use of Stingers in their barrels.

Can anyone please tell me Why?

Also, what barrel would you recommend running Stingers with.

Thanks in advance :+1:

TK

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    they are a real hot round and the brass is slightly longer than lr but still chambers in lr. i have good reports with my green mountain barrel on my 10/22

nova512

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    west side of indy
    i have shot them alot,and its a good round but i like the cci mini mag and remington cyclone alot very accurate imo.they are the badest 22 lr shell you can get,if your squirrel hunting with them you better hit them in the head if not you wont be cleaning that bad boy lol.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I use them in my 10-22,and our little walther p22.It is the best 22 round in my opinion.I have never heard a modern 22 not being able to use this round.

SPC Richardson

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2008
    its the only round that will cycil in my jennings pos. hahaha!
    they are excellent in my ruger mki and give a pretty good group.

Wesley Willis

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    Indiana
    I have a Kel-Tec SU22 rifle. Fed through a magazine, it loves Stingers. Fed through the 50 round drum I have, it hates Stingers! Weird...

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    I seen sooo many barrel manufacturers "Not recommend the use of Stingers in their barrels.

Can anyone please tell me Why?

Also, what barrel would you recommend running Stingers with.

Thanks in advance :+1:

TK

stinger are a hot a little round..the case is a bit longer than the standard .22 round. alot of after market barrels have a tighter chamber and the stinger tends to be pushed up into the rifling of these tighter chambers and over time will cause damage to the lower rifling near the chamber which can and will effect accuracy over time as the rifling gets "fouled" up. most all barrels that are "sporter" chambered will handle stingers just fine but when you start getting into the match barrels you will most likely experience problems when it comes to ejecting a live round and even some feeding problems depending on how tight the chamber actually is.
    what kind of rifle are you wanting to shoot the stinger from? if its a 10/22 or other semi auto and your looking to put an after market barrel on it and your wanting to shoot nothing but stingers out it I wouldnt recommend any barrel that is "bentz"/match chambered. look for something that is "sporter" chambered.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Stingers have worked fine in my standard 10-22, but the manual for the targer barrel 10-22 says not to use them due to the extra case length and tighter chamber. If in any doubt, might try the CCI quick shok. I have never really compared the two in terms of velocity, but really like the quick shok and its accuracy.

nighthawk80

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Trafalger
    I use them in my 10-22,and our little walther p22.It is the best 22 round in my opinion.I have never heard a modern 22 not being able to use this round.

Technically your not suppose to use stingers in the P22. Well at least that is what the manual says. It can cause stress on the slide rails if I recall. RFC Home has alot of good info on it.

Turn Key

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Thanks!

Thanks for all the great input.

I'm going to have to investigate the "Sporter Barrel" for the receiver that I have been working on.

The current barrels I have are the Tac-Sol threaded, a Green Mountain ported SS and a super lightweight carbon fiber one that has the lined barrel, I think it is a Volquartsen. The carbon fiber barrel is the one that came on the Magnum Research receiver that really gave me problems when it was new. It has run probably 400 Stingers already. That manufacturer is one of the ones that 'do not recommend Stingers'...

If anyone can post a link or two on the 'Sporter Barrels' that are good, please do.

I knew I could count on my INGO friends on this question. :ingo:

TK

Turn Key

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Thanks RelicHound!

Looks like what I am after, the spec's do not give the actual weight of this barrel. I'll call them on Monday and find this out...

Ruger 10/22 Barrels Blue Fluted Barrel 1:18 Twist

Ruger 10/22 barrels, .920 & Sporter Diameter Barrels - High grade 10/22 target barrels, blue & stainless in several configurations. This is a 20" x .920" Blue Fluted barrel for Hyper Velocity ammo 1:18 twist Stinger Chamber for the .22 LR

Top Bottom