• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    Jim, this is just my personal opinion, and take it for what it is.

I am not endorsing the violation of state law.

I am a law enforcement officer in the state of Indiana.

If it were me, I would not hassle you for carrying while waiting for your IN LTCH. You have LTC's from three other states, so I can certainly respect that. However, if you get involved in a self defense shooting, you make end up getting charged by an over ambitious prosecutor.

I cannot advocate that you violate state law. But I can advocate that you always carry a gun. And get the lifetime.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    (b) Licenses to carry handguns, issued by other states or foreign countries, will be recognized according to the terms thereof but only while the holders are not residents of Indiana. As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32

I got this from IN.gov and the way I read it, when I become a resident Indiana will no longer recognize my Florida or Utah. The Illinois will be invalid when I become a resident of Indiana. Jim.

Correct. You CAN be a resident in multiple states.

chenowethpm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 12, 2019
    Indianapolis
    Because Indiana only honors them if you are a non resident. Once you become an Indiana resident, you need an IN LTCH.
    This is exactly what I learned researching if my Tennessee permit would make me legal to carry once I moved here, it’s been over two months since I could legally carry here in IN and I still feel naked everyday. They definitely need to work out some sort of “grace period” for those of us that are waiting on our IN LTCH to get processed through. Thankfully I was approved on 3/5 so it should be in the mail soon. My advice is get to the bmv ASAP and get your DL and register to vote si you can apply as quick as possible.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    This is exactly what I learned researching if my Tennessee permit would make me legal to carry once I moved here, it’s been over two months since I could legally carry here in IN and I still feel naked everyday. They definitely need to work out some sort of “grace period” for those of us that are waiting on our IN LTCH to get processed through. Thankfully I was approved on 3/5 so it should be in the mail soon. My advice is get to the bmv ASAP and get your DL and register to vote si you can apply as quick as possible.
    I think this is something that needs to be addressed. As a resident of another State you can lawfully carry a handgun because you have a license/permit from another State. The next day you trade your (State here) drivers license in for an Indiana drivers license and you are now an Indiana resident, who can no longer lawfully carry a handgun.

We have some outstanding pro-2A legislators here in the Great State of Indiana. I could see Jim Lucas introducing this for the 2020, same for Ben Smaltz, Jim Tomes, Jerry Sandlin, Chris Judy, you get where I'm coming from. I think this can happen.

chenowethpm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 12, 2019
    Indianapolis
    It is a bit of an inconvenience, luckily I’m a pretty patient person and I will not do anything that could jeopardize being able to carry in the future.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    It is a bit of an inconvenience, luckily I’m a pretty patient person and I will not do anything that could jeopardize being able to carry in the future.

Since you are approved you can carry since there is no requirement to have your LTCH on your person.

Notropis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2018
    NWI
    As a relatively new resident( and a communist voter) , I can say the LTCH process was fast and only moderately inconvenient. Any inconvenience was purely bureaucracy and not malicious. I assumed during the wait, my permits from other states were valid and carried on:dunno:

output

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 13, 2014
    NW Indiana
    I did the same thing about 5 years ago. I grew up in ****cago. I moved my business and home to Indiana. I wouldn't worry about the lapse in license coverage. The move is worth it... If you have family in Illinois you're still a short drive away but have lower taxes and all of your rights.

I don't think the wait time between types of licenses varies I did the lifetime option and never looked back. You couldn't pay me to move back.

Best wishes.

output

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 13, 2014
    NW Indiana
    I did the same thing about 5 years ago. I grew up in ****cago. I moved my business and home to Indiana. I wouldn't worry about the lapse in license coverage. The move is worth it... If you have family in Illinois you're still a short drive away but have lower taxes and all of your rights.

I don't think the wait time between types of licenses varies I did the lifetime option and never looked back. You couldn't pay me to move back.

Best wishes.

10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    LTCH wait times will vary. I let my 4 year one laps and went ahead and applied for the lifetime along with my wife. We did everything on a Wednesday and mine was in the mailbox Monday. The wife's showed up about 2 weeks after filing.

Top Bottom