• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SHCdvldg

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    Waukesha
    So, I'm a bartender at a popular local spot. I'm also a firm supporter of the 2nd Amendment and an employee at a local gun shop. I carry daily. I know in Indiana that it is legal to carry in bars, even drink (I choose not to while I'm carrying). I have not found any laws on the books in Indiana that prevent someone armed from serving alcohol either. Maybe I'm not doing enough thorough research :dunno: and thats why I'm asking for everyone's help. I have been carrying every time I work. I havent had anyone see me or question me at all, so I'm asuming they dont notice or dont care. My boss talks about how much she hates guns everytime anyone mentions it and how she thinks no one should have them. I keep my opinions to myself. She has no policies specifically written down nor ever mentioned to the employees about anything regarding the issue of being armed while working. Now please dont hesitate to correct me if i'm wrong here folks, but I think I'm well within my rights to CCW while bartending.

donnie1581

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    Elwood, IN
    IANAL = I am not a lawyer and JMHO = Just my honest opinion. There are a lot of them that are used here lol. You're not breaking any laws but the only situations where I would use it is if I were being robbed or someone was forcefully threatening my life. I wouldn't use it to try and be the hero of the night by stopping a bar fight or anything.

norman428

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    I know a couple local bartenders that carry, Ill call out their CC sometimes, they are cool with it and normally it starts a gun related conversation. But its perfectly legal to carry, the only problem you could face is work policy related, all your boss has to do is ask you not to carry, and you are no longer allowed to, make sure you know the policy book well for where you work in the event that she finds you out. But then again, concealed means concealed.

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    Before they closed the local bar down the owner/bartender OC'ed while serving drinks. Turned a once rowdy place into a calm place to enjoy a drink. As for your boss, don't ask, don't tell if she doesn't think anyone has a right to own a gun then by all means if something happens when your at work dont bother using it unless your life is in danger, if she wants to be a victim then let her.

SHCdvldg

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    Waukesha
    Thanks guys, I appreciate all the advice. I never plan to use it to end any fights (Its never that sort of place anyways) unless I'm drawn on first. Also, I'm absolutely sure of the fact that there is nothing in the employee policy where I work about that sort of thing. Again, thanks everyone!

Bigshep

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2012
    New Albany
    For some reason I was thinking it was illegal to be in the bar and drinking while carrying.....Am I wrong? Please tell me I'm wrong.

As far as carrying while working in one.....Do it. By all means, do it. And if your boss is that against guns don't do anything at all that might make her or someone else think that you are carrying. Concealed means concealed.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    ... Ill call out their CC sometimes, ...

Always a welcome thing :rolleyes:

the only problem you could face is work policy related, all your boss has to do is ask you not to carry, and you are no longer allowed to, make sure you know the policy book well for where you work in the event that she finds you out. But then again, concealed means concealed.

Well, in Indiana, you can be terminated for no cause, so that's not the only thing she could do... but then she can decide to fire him, gun or no gun anyway.

That said, I'd probably keep it concealed and not say anything nor ask any questions about any policy, etc.

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Which bar do we have to avoid if we don't want be giving our money to a bar owners that's Anti-2A?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    Columbus, IN
    IMHO I would rather get fired after the fact and be able to protect myself if some drunk guy made a situation where I'm in danger. Plus maybe that would turn your employers views on guns around if she saw a real scenario first hand. But I didnt go to law school, I don't argue the law, and I don't enforce the law.

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    "I have been carrying every time I work. I haven't had anyone see me or question me at all, so I'm assuming they don't notice or don't care. My boss talks about how much she hates guns every time anyone mentions it and how she thinks no one should have them. I keep my opinions to myself."

Sounds like you are handling things properly. I hope you don't have to use your gun, but I am glad you have it.

Top Bottom