• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    walther is making a single column 9mm that is a gas gun it should be very pleasant to shoot

Yes, that is the Walthar CCP. I checked out some online reviews (I know...) on both the Walthar CCP and the older, more expensive Walthar PPS, both of which are sub-compact CCWs. The results of the reviews were not as glowing as I had hoped (mixed at best). I still want to check them out in person obviously, but those reviews took some of the steam out of my enthusiasm. I understand that this is the internet, etc... The most common complaints are about the trigger and the take down ability. That Walthar CCP looks like a total PITA to take down, requiring a tool.

Unfortunately, I have also seen some less-than-glowing reviews on the Sig P938, less than accurate, etc., so I am trying to load up with as many grains of salt as I can. I obviously need to make my own decision, but it is interesting to see patterns in several of the reviews, which once you begin to see a pattern, it at least makes you stop and think a bit. I actually shot the gun pretty well, personally.

I shot the larger Glock again yesterday (G23 .40), and let's just say I am not a Glock fan and leave it at that. There is a gun for everyone, and the Glock is not the one for me. That does not make it a bad gun, it is just not going to be my gun.

Need to look at the Ruger and the Kahr a bit more still, and of course another look at my original choice, the Sig P938.

I am finding this more difficult than I thought. There are obviously *LOTS* of choices, but that does not mean that I am in love with any of them (yet) other than the Sig P938.

Someone asked my what I am shooting now, and I responded that it is the VP9. This seems to indicate that I would get along best with the H&K P30Sk or maybe one of the Walthar's due to the similar design. I dry fired the P30SK, but did not actually put any lead down range, which I should probably see if I can do. That DA/SA action is not my first choice, but I'm sure I could learn to shoot it without issues.

Sheesh! This shouldn't be that difficult, eh? I should probably just buy the Sig and be done with it. I can always sell it if it does not work out. and start all over again! :)

James

Last edited:

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I wouldn't worry about reviews that say whatever compact pistol you're looking at is less accurate. It comes with the shorter barrel and lower mass of the pistol. If you want better accuracy, carry a full-sized pistol. That said: the accuracy of compacts is just fine for their intended purpose. They're for self-defense, not for winning tournaments. So, if you like the Sig, get it and shoot with it until you're comfortable with it.

(But I still recommend trying out the others. Even if you end up with the Sig, you'll have a better idea of what you like/prefer, and why.)

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I ended up purchasing the Sig Sauer P938 this afternoon at Tim's in Westfield (Great people)!!!

Over the last week, I have shot the Sig, the M&P Shield, the Glock and the Springfield XD. I have also dry-fired every other sub-compact gun I could try, and gave them all a pretty serious once-over without shooting them (Walthar CCP, FNH FMS, Ruger LCP9s, HK P30SK, and a few that I cannot even remember at the moment ). I did not get a chance to check out the Kahr or the CZ. I do have some regrets that I did not check out the CZ, but at some point, I needed to stop all of the madness and make a decision.

All signs kept coming back to the Sig P938 every time I shot it (or even dry fired it).

I love the size, making it easy to conceal. Some of the other guns were too close in size to my H&K VP9, and I was specifically looking for a smaller gun that I could easily conceal. The trigger is really incredible with very little take up, and a crisp snap at the break point (hammer-fired SAO). I am going to have to get used to the Locked and Cocked aspect before I take it out of the house as a CCW, but I think I should be OK within a week or two or three. I am also going to have to get used to the "standard" U.S. magazine release compared to the paddles on my VP9 that I am already pretty used to. I don't want to have a slip up in the middle of a crisis situation.

The build (fit and finish) are just incredible, and I love the way the slide is so smooth (I know I have mentioned this before in this thread). If I remove the mag, and pull the slide back 4 or 5 times really quickly in succession, it is just as smooth as butter compared to any of the other guns I looked at, and I really that quality feel.

The standard magazine only holds 6 rounds, but I purchased a second magazine that holds 7 rounds with the pinky extension that I will surely want to use 99% of the time. I hate having my pinky dangling out in the air without it! The kit only came with a single mag, which is a bit disappointing, and it is the 6-round magazine at that, but I can keep it around as a spare, and will pick up another 3-4 of the extended mags for most uses. It also comes with some decent 3-dot tritium night sights, which I really like and that will save me some money from not having to replace them right away. There is also a 10-round version of the magazine, but I think that is going to extend the handle a bit too far, and will defeat some of the size advantage that the P938 had over some of the competition.

My version is the P938 "Nightmare", which has a black frame with a Nitron-coated slide, and nickel levers. I love the look! :) Here are some really quick snapshots. I have not even had a chance to clean out the factory grease yet, much less actually shoot it, but here are a couple of quick images, and then a 3rd image sitting next to my VP9 (excuse the shadow).

_DSC4014_SM_cr2.jpg _DSC4015_SM_cr2.jpg _DSC4016_SM_cr2.jpg

Thanks again to everyone for all of their great advice and recommendations. It gave me a lot to think about, and some options that I had not considered before.

Now, to get out and shoot the heck out of it!!!

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    Check Ebay for 7 rd mags. I picked up two in factory bags for 35 a piece shipped.

I did just that last night after posting! I ordered 2 more 7-round mags ($35 each), and one 10-round mag (just to check it out). I also ordered a set of the rosewood grips. Thanks for that advice, there are lots of great deals on P938 accessories on eBay!

Last edited:

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    Very nice gun, good choice. If those Sigs didnt have external safeties then I'd still have one myself.

Yeah, I am a bit worried about that myself, and that was one of the hesitations I had with this gun. The hammer-fired design plus the external safety. I can see why with this design that it is needed (the hammer is pretty exposed and it is a small gun) as it would be pretty easy to get an accidental discharge in your pocket or in your IWB holster.

We will see how the next couple of weeks go with practice.

Top Bottom