• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rusty

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2011
    Any ideas for a CCW for my daughter? I promised I would give her a handgun when she graduated High School. Currently, she has been learning with my Ruger 22/45.

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    I would try a PF9 or a Kahr CM9 or CW9 or a DiamondBack DB9. Much better option for a CCW than a .22 IMHO... not that there's anything wrong with a .22, I don't want to open that can, just better for threat neutralization.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    This is strictly my opinion, and has worked in many years of firearms training, and for men and ladies alike. Buy a handgun just like you would buy a pair of shoes. If Ol' Joe over here says he likes Charlie China tennis shoes, and you're looking for a new pair of shoes, do you run out and buy Joe's pick, just because HE likes 'em? Probably not. If a new shooter is asking what to buy for a carry gun, it doesn't matter what works for me, or anyone else. I suggest telling that new shooter to go to many gun shops, and/or gun shows, and handle all the guns they can get hold of. Just like they would try on shoes. Before long they'll be able to make a list of guns that feel ok, pretty good, real good, and "that really feels great in my hands". The last two are the ones to pursue, and here's why I say that....
    If a given handgun doesn't feel "right" in your hands, you'll not shoot it enough to become proficient with it, because it's not comfortable, and you won't like shooting it. Just like you rarely wear shoes that are UNcomfortable. If you're not gonna become proficient with it, save your money, and buy a ball bat to carry. With proper training, and fundamentals, he/she can learn to shoot almost any handgun, or any caliber. Very few folks can re-train their hands to make just any handgun feel comfortable. The last suggestion.........proper shooting techinques, practiced slowly, but proficiently, will breed speed. Do it slowly, and do it the right way, every time.......If you practice speed first, and introduce less efficient techniques into your training, you'll have to do it all over again to get it right.
    Start with a .22 caliber something, and as your technique/accuracy improves, work up from there. Caliber doesn't count until after you can hit your target.

There always will be a trade-off..... light weight, more recoil...... shorter barrel, more recoil... just sayin....

Again, just my ramblings.... but they work for me...

Shoot Safely....

That ^. :)

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Aww, what, you're not gonna let Jay come post the thing he has saved on his computer somewhere and has copy and pasted into countless threads?

What?! And let him get the free cookie? Are you out of your mind?!
    P.S.
    Regardless of the method of it being posted here (or anywhere, for that matter), the content is constructively beneficial and applies.
    (Or are you saying you disagree with that?)

kamum76

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    Take her to a gun shop. Let her try 9mm and 380's to see how the guns feel and fit in her hands the best. Also see if she can rack the slides on the guns.
    This what my husband did with me. I got a Kahr CW9 for my first CCW gun. Now I got a Kahr P380.

_0llZll0_

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011
    There are alot of choices out there. As a woman i do feel she should be involved. We have things to consider like smaller hands and different body types that come into play on how we carry and what we choose. It took me forever to decide. I finally went with the Walther PPS 9mm. It is not hard at all to use the slide. I found it easier then the glock slides. I may still get a smaller one maybe a kahr for when the outfit just wont allow anything bigger but it comes with a cost of greater recoil.

Z

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    My daughter normally carries a Sig P-239 when she is not at school in the criminal protection city of Chicago. Nice, accurate and reliable. Not as small or light as some of the newer pocket pistols, but she is amazingly accurate and comfortable with hers which is the important thing.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Something really damn ugly. And I'm only half joking. Unless she is an extraordinarily mature teenager, she is going to be tempted to show it to her friends (boys and girls), which may result in some kind of, hopefully not serious, grief. Get her something she won't want to show off.

This was a hard post to write, as I feel they can and have seen some youngsters display much better gun handling skills than some supposed "old hats"; but if any of her contemporaries hear or find out your daughter carries a gun, they're going to badger her to see it, then hold it, and I really hope she's ready for the responsibility. Only you and her know.

And I'll butt out now.

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    Where are you located? if you happen to be close to Lafayette I would be willing to meet up at a range and let her shoot all that I have so so she can make a choice. Its a wide variety at the moment, 4 revolvers I n, 2K's, and a J frame, 2 1911's ( 1 all stainless the other aluminum framed) a .22mag derringer, 2 glocks, an hk, and a few sigs. You'll just have to provide ammo.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Let her pick.

I agree...best thing is to have her try shooting a few different ones. I got my daughter to start shooting this past spring. she likes the 22's...but i would like her to get a little more gun for her own safety. At least a .380, but she doesn't like a lot of recoil when she shoots. She hated shooting my 9mm.

Even a 22 is better than nothing. But it needs to be HER choice...something she will SHOOT and learn to use.

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    I would take her to the next INGO meet & greet shoot & the members usually have a wide variety of pistols & revolvers to choose from. This would help her understand the differences in recoil & what feels right in her hand .A father /daughter trip to the local gun shop is in order as well to at least get an idea of what she likes.Where are you located?

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    You might also consider enrolling her in a class; it's probably the least expensive way to have her try several different models and calibers.

bender574

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2011
    Middlebury
    I trying to talk my wife in to a .375 mag revolver I know it a little over kill. The reason why is so she can have .38 in the first 4 shot and if need be last 2 shot .357 mag in case the first 4 don't stop the thret... main reasoning is for the bad stuff happening in South Bend and in Goshen. just to throw my 2 cents in there

Top Bottom