• how do you carry

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

zz502

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2008
    to all that carry. do you cary in a holster or just tucked in pants? discuss

i have a holster for my glock27 but it sticks out to far and is really noticeable. so most of the time i just tuck in pants and belt. stays put suprisingly well!

Last edited:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Absolutely, 100%, without-a-doubt, ALWAYS, with a holster.

Carrying without a holster, in my opinion, is just asking for a ND.

I will give you this: carrying mexican is very comfortable and it conceals very well.

When I was new to carrying, I bought a Galco USA IWB holster (for my Taurus Millennium Pro). But it was too thick and bulky, so I carried "mexican" because it was more comfortable. I even went as far as buying a "Clip Draw" to make it more secure.

HOWEVER-- I have since learned that carrying a loaded firearm with a round in the chamber, and no covered trigger guard, is a mistake. ESPECIALLY a Glock.

Think how easy it would be for something to become lodged inside the trigger guard, inadvertantly pulling the trigger. And what if you had to jog or run for any reason, would the gun stay in place?? Or what if you fell on the ground (fighting, for example), your beltline tends to loosen anyway, and your pistol could fall out and be out of your control.

Case in point: A certain friend of mine, who MAY or MAY NOT be a member on this board, took a quick trip to the gas station the other day. He decided to carry his single-action cocked-and-locked, but without a holster (I would assume to save time). As he was standing in the store, he suddently realized that the gun had slid UNDER his belt and into his pants leg. Being a full-sized handgun, he had quite a time just retrieving it. I'm sure the customers had to wonder what he was doing! lol

And there are less life-threatening reasons. Like a LEO assuming you're not a legitimate CHL holder due to the fact that you carry like a gangbanger. Or the constant wear on your pistol's finish from rubbing on your clothing.

The key here is finding the RIGHT holster for YOU. If your current holster doesn't work, find another holster.

zz502 - if you would like, I would be willing for you to try either of these holsters for your G27 for a couple weeks. If you like them, I will make you good deal. That would be better than risking a ND.

6z41p2g.jpg

8foqpfo.jpg

You can read more about these holsters here:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/thread3441.html

zz502

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2008
    ok you convinced me to quit going the easy route. i never carry chambered in waist band. the only reason i ever started is easy and comfort. i have never had a problem with it falling but just got lucky i guess. here is the holster i have. thanks esrice i might have to take you up on that one of these days.

blackhawk cqc
    DSCN3236.jpg

am94pm

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    I carry both P7 or 1911 in a UCH (Ultimate Concealment Holster) by Blade Tech. The holster conceals very well.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Always in a holster. The thought of a loaded firearm "hanging around" in my pants makes me very uncomfortable. Appears to be less than a good decision.

jjmglocktrumpet

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2008
    bloomington
    You should always carry in a holster. It is just completely unsafe and not very secure if you do not carry with a holster. It is important to get a holster that fits your body and a good gun belt, not a cheap dept. store belt. Also I am not 100% sure but I believe it is illegal to mexican carry in some states, I am just not sure which ones. I am not trying to flame you but i also suggest that you carry with on in the chamber at all times. If you need your gun you are not going to have the time to put a round in the chamber. Also, you may need the other hand to defend an attack.

zz502

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2008
    You should always carry in a holster. It is just completely unsafe and not very secure if you do not carry with a holster. It is important to get a holster that fits your body and a good gun belt, not a cheap dept. store belt. Also I am not 100% sure but I believe it is illegal to mexican carry in some states, I am just not sure which ones. I am not trying to flame you but i also suggest that you carry with on in the chamber at all times. If you need your gun you are not going to have the time to put a round in the chamber. Also, you may need the other hand to defend an attack.

didnt take it as a flame. ask a stupid question get a stupid answer. its all good man i understand 100%. you make some very good points and didnt even think about it being illegal.

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    Always.

I like the Sparks Summer Special IWB for my "main" carry.
    On the rare times I carry OWB, I use the Alessi CQC/S.

I use a pocket holster for my Kahr, and a Ken Null ANK ankle holster for the S&W 442.

HoosierShooter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2008
    Shelby
    I use an Uncle Mikes Sidekick holster IWB for my main carry gun. It's pretty comfortable and attached to my pants snuggly, as I don't wear a belt. I looked for a pic, but didn't find one. I have a couple of them that I picked up for cheap (under $10). I carry my PT-111 in a fobus paddle holster and I have a nice leather belt holster for my Ruger wheel gun, but I never carry that one, if i did it would be in a shoulder rig.

I have been looking for a nice leather holster for my 24/7, but I'm not finding what I want. I guess I'll have to start wearing a belt.

Pitmaster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    South Bend, IN
    Ditto to everyone's comments about the need for a holster.

I've got 5 holsters for 2 guns and a VMII on order from Milt Sparks. I keep guns in holsters even if they are just laying around. I consider using a holster to be a safety issue.

From my perspective holsters don't lose much value if you buy one and don't like it. Just sell it on one of the boards. They seem to go fairly quick and the depreciation isn't that bad. I searched and read about every holster maker out there before I bought my first holster. I bought a holster that allows for IWB & OWB carrying so I could try both methods and see which I preferred. I prefer IWB and the majority of future purchases will be IWB.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    I keep guns in holsters even if they are just laying around.

All due respect sir, but leather will draw moisture, and if left in a holster, a firearm or a knife can and will rust.

I have several holsters but none of them hold firearms unless I'm wearing them. Same goes for scabbards for my knives.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    My most recent method of carry has been the Comp-Tac Infidel. Usually with the two leather loops. Or the one big plastic clip. The other attachments don't work well for me.

Infidel_ani_sm.gif

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    I think the poll sums it up right now 13-0 in favor of holster.

I have a blade-tech IWB and it works great!

Top Bottom