• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • B-rye

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    I have done some research prior to coming here, however, Id like some more information. I come from a very conservative family, however, you could say i'm a "black sheep" not in a bad way of coarse. I would be the first to carry a firearm, there's still a few dark areas in the rules and regulations of carrying a firearm i'd like to clear up before I get started. Nothing specific, I just think I should know a little more.

-Bryson

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    It might be easier for us to answer them for you, if you actually post them.

Welcome..

B-rye

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    Well, like I said, no specific questions really, I just like to know the situation of things before I go into them. I would like to know what the application process is like. What to do if confronted by an officer, or someone in authority. Or perhaps just a few random tips and interesting facts to help me along :)

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Read the FAQs. A lot of useful info there as a starting point. Browse the site for a while. INGO is a great resource. Use the search function (which isn't the best quality) and if you can't find something to answer your specific question, feel free to ask. If you say you are a newbie, people will cut you a lot more slack.

SyntorX

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I'd suggest you check out a local gun instruction course. There are several instructors on this site that can clear your mind.
    Some Sheriff's Dept.'s like Morgan offer classes from time to time that are centered on gun carriers' responsibilities and when and when not to shoot etc.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I'll get the ball rolling here and give you a little start. Indiana does'nt have a CCW license. We have an LTCH (License to Carry Handgun)

Indiana law is silent on method of carry which means you can carry OC (Open Carry) or CC (Concealed Carry) however you wish as long as you are licensed to do so and it's not a restricted area such as a school (K-12) or a school related function and a few other places.

Another good piece of advice is to do your own research about Indiana Code (IC) concerning firearm related matters and not just take anyone's word as the gospel truth.

Last edited:

JimmyR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Clark County
    Another suggestion is to find a local gun shop that you can browse in, ask questions, and really shop around before making a purchase. Take your time doing your research in choosing a weapon. Additional training and practice is always a good thing.

If possible, try to find someone who is active on the forum that lives in your area. try to schedule time to go to a range together, learn from him or her, and soak up as much advice as possible.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Very good advice. There is a lot of misinformation out there. Here is a link to the main section if the IC related to weapons:
    Indiana Code TITLE 35, Article 47 Table of Contents
    That's a good link with alot of current information that the OP or anyone else not familiar with weapons related IC might wanna take a look at.

I was about to post it but you got it covered. :yesway:

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Another suggestion is to find a local gun shop that you can browse in, ask questions, and really shop around before making a purchase. Take your time doing your research in choosing a weapon. Additional training and practice is always a good thing.

If possible, try to find someone who is active on the forum that lives in your area. try to schedule time to go to a range together, learn from him or her, and soak up as much advice as possible.
    Gun shops are a descent place to learn more, but take what you get in them with a grain of salt. They sell TONS of little snub nose, double action, ultra lightweight 38's to beginning and FIRST time shooters to LEARN the basics with....not sound advice if you've ever watched such a person try to learn to shoot with it.....their intent is to sell, just keep that in mind.

Another good option is to stick around here. Read through as much as you can and ask when you have a question.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    You can also go to the INGO Events section and go to a meet and shoot near you. Everyone is usually willing to answer questions and you can look at a variety of guns, might even shot a couple before you buy.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I'd suggest you check out a local gun instruction course. There are several instructors on this site that can clear your mind.
    Some Sheriff's Dept.'s like Morgan offer classes from time to time that are centered on gun carriers' responsibilities and when and when not to shoot etc.

Don's Guns is not a good choice.

And frankly, a gun shop would be my last resource for finding out information.

Tauler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Gun shops are a descent place to learn more, but take what you get in them with a grain of salt. They sell TONS of little snub nose, double action, ultra lightweight 38's to beginning and FIRST time shooters to LEARN the basics with....not sound advice if you've ever watched such a person try to learn to shoot with it.....their intent is to sell, just keep that in mind.

Too true, that happened with me, they tried to peddle revolvers first, luckily I knew what I needed and stuck to my guns (so to speak). :):

Top Bottom