• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    So I have a cdl (b) that I haven't used for about 5 years now and it is time to visit the physical again to keep it for another 2 years.

I've come to realize I hate driving, won't go back to driving a bus, and if I kill myself at work I could always go to the service side of things...

I was paid to get my cdl so I am out nothing. Can anyone think of a reason to really keep it?

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    If all it costs you is a physical, I'm be looking for reasons not to keep it. More tools in the arsenal of money makin' is always a good thing.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    In my line of work a CDL is a big selling point for new hires.
    Even to drive a company pickup you need a med card. I hardly ever drive the dump trucks anymore but I keep my CDL

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    So I have a cdl (b) that I haven't used for about 5 years now and it is time to visit the physical again to keep it for another 2 years.

I've come to realize I hate driving, won't go back to driving a bus, and if I kill myself at work I could always go to the service side of things...

I was paid to get my cdl so I am out nothing. Can anyone think of a reason to really keep it?
    Always keep your options open in the workforce. Its just another feather in the cap.. you could be a manager and someone doesn't show up and you could be the only one with the skills.to save the day.. jmo..

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Working on getting my class b through the railroad. With the lay offs still going on would make sense to get something I can use immediately and not try to rely on my diesel education from 10yrs ago that I have not used since school.

yepthatsme

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Right Here
    I have had a CDL since it was first created and had a chauffeur's license before that. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe if you allow it to expire, you will need to retest to reinstate it. I believe that would include the driving test. So, it would probably be easier just to keep your CDL and pay for the classifications just in case you may need it in the future. That is what I have done. Just my :twocents:.

Edit: I did allow my hazmat endorsement to expire when they began to require a background check. I rarely handled hazmat loads.

Last edited:

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I have had a CDL since it was first created and had a chauffeur's license before that. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe if you allow it to expire, you will need to retest to reinstate it. I believe that would include the driving test. So, it would probably be easier just to keep your CDL and pay for the classifications just in case you may need it in the future. That is what I have done. Just my :twocents:.

Edit: I did allow my hazmat endorsement to expire when they began to require a background check. I rarely handled hazmat loads.

If I let it go of it, I can get it back in the first 365 days by getting the physical. After that is all over again.

Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    It pains me a little to see "voluntary surrender" on DL returns. As stated above, its just another option in the box. I will never know why someone would voluntarily eliminate a potential income source.

I've only needed mine once in the last decade, but it sure was handy that one time.

The DOT physical checks the required medical evaluation box for my current job, so that's another plus.

I wouldn't, and that's coming from someone who is as locked in to a non-cdl career as is modernly possible.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    ... I will never know why someone would voluntarily eliminate a potential income source...

I surrendered a Class A because maintaining the other INDOT requirement of physical was a PITA and my new lifetime income source has restriction on other income in transportation.

Michigan law allows one to retain an idle CDL without also maintaining the physical, but that's neither here, but there.

Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I surrendered a Class A because maintaining the other INDOT requirement of physical was a PITA and my new lifetime income source has restriction on other income in transportation.

Michigan law allows one to retain an idle CDL without also maintaining the physical, but that's neither here, but there.
    I still don't understand it, mainly because a bi-annual, 30 minute doctor visit isn't that big of a PITA to me and I don't know what you mean by "lifetime income source". Maybe I'm ignorant. :dunno:

Top Bottom