• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    apparently I'm lucky because someone from the U.S. dept. of commerce came by today when I was gone and left a note saying I need to complete the american community survey covering topics such as education, employment, and housing. it also says I'm required by law to complete this survey(title 13 united states code 141,193, and 221)

my questions, is this the same as the census last year or something different. also what if any questions do I have to legally answer?

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    The ACS is not the same as the Census. It is an ongoing survey. As to answering it, well, we've covered it before here on INGO. All I ever gave them was the number of people who lived at my address and showed them the door. They will not even attempt to prosecute anyone for refusal to cooperate, the number is just too high. I refused to be intimidated when they came snooping and they've left me alone ever since. Answer as you want, the questions are highly invasive and really no-ones business, especially the government.
    Just do a search for American Community Survey here on INGO and you'll get a good return.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    The ACS is not the same as the Census. It is an ongoing survey. As to answering it, well, we've covered it before here on INGO. All I ever gave them was the number of people who lived at my address and showed them the door. They will not even attempt to prosecute anyone for refusal to cooperate, the number is just too high. I refused to be intimidated when they came snooping and they've left me alone ever since. Answer as you want, the questions are highly invasive and really no-ones business, especially the government.
    Just do a search for American Community Survey here on INGO and you'll get a good return.

Prosecute, no. Harass? Absolutely. The local morning radio program had a woman from the Indy(?) area who received one of these. She didn't comply and had all sorts of "reminders" directed her way.

But I gotta agree: refuse to be intimidated because they is what they are counting on.

And invasive doesn't even begin to describe the questions. A criminal couldn't get such good information casing your house, tapping your phones, and going through your mail for a month.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington

last time they came I to refused to be intimidated and got the cops called on me for carrying in my house and property.(you would think they would have marked my place a do not go location or something) I don't have an issue in that regard, really just wondering if this was an extension of the census or something different and if there were new or different regulations I needed to be aware of.

old thread: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...on/104714-a_census_worker_is_stalking_me.html

nailknocker

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    I wonder if you nicely tell them no, and then politely ask them to leave and not come back, are they not trespassing at that point. The way I see it my porch, my rules. Would the weight of law be on my side?

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    I wonder if you nicely tell them no, and then politely ask them to leave and not come back, are they not trespassing at that point. The way I see it my porch, my rules. Would the weight of law be on my side?

from what I've found they apparently have the "right" as a gov. worker to enter your property for at least the initial visit. if you tell them to leave and not return I'm unsure if its trespassing for them to come back.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    The ACS is what they say they've replaced the Census long form with. So, instead of getting the long form info once every 10 years, they've decided to do it regularly. Unfortunately, the ACS asks things the actual Census never would.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Well, as we discussed here a year or two ago, there was the case of a census worker in Hawaii getting arrested for trespassing when he wouldn't leave. The cops sided with the property owner against the fed employee in this case. I think the charges were later dropped, but it ended that attempt to get info. Not sure how it would work in Indiana. Lots of fed love going on in the lower 48.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    from what I've found they apparently have the "right" as a gov. worker to enter your property for at least the initial visit. if you tell them to leave and not return I'm unsure if its trespassing for them to come back.

Wait... What? I am a gov worker, does that mean I have the "right" to enter anyone's home I choose?

Seems a bit ridiculous to me. I really hope they don't come by here and try to tell me that because they work for the Government that they have the right to enter my home. They will be met with the fact that I too work for the government and my .40 cal.

nailknocker

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Well if they show up at my door, I will let you know how that scene plays out for me.
    I have been getting follow up questions from the census for over a year,and I filled out they're form, but they seem to always have a few more questions. It's been a month or so since I have heard from them, I guess we're not speaking

Lead Head

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Northeast Indiana
    They will keep coming back just like the US Census. I'm still pissed off about being hounded on the last census.

I pay taxes. Any more than that and I feel like I'm being invaded. Argggg !

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    They will keep coming back just like the US Census. I'm still pissed off about being hounded on the last census.

I pay taxes. Any more than that and I feel like I'm being invaded. Argggg !
    Just say no. That's what I've done every time. Even the Census guy only got the number of people at my house. No names, ages or anything else. I flat out told him I wasn't comfortable with those questions and went about cutting my grass.

jp828108

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    Clermont
    during the time of the census i was living no where, i had turned over the apartment i lived in, and wouldn't close on the house i was purchasing for like 10 days. I was happy to tell them that, they didn't ask me anything that i felt was to prying, nor did they want to come in, just name, age, and residence. anyway it was interesting because they had to get a supervisor to call me to figure out what to list me as. since technically at the particular date in question i had no residence. they approached me at my house, i had only been living there for a week or so. but, what drives me crazy is the solicititors that come out trying to sell stuff and the telemarketing company that has somehow gotten my home phone number which i don't use, and only 4 people have been given the number by me.

Top Bottom