• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • silverspoon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Bloomfield
    Paul, that ethical part is where they legitimately have a say.

LoriW, The landowners do not own the animals, and neither does the state. And for the state to do as they wish, is well... dictatorial.

Repped you on your first reply and tried to on this one too but they seem to think I need to spread a little around before I rep you again....

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    It appears t me that the DNR will have to go back to dribbling in the centerfires rather than a Full Monty. History has shown that they have been piece mealing them in a little at time. They want them just are afraid to do the whole thing for now...

My guess it will be back for the southern part of the sate.. then after a few years it will be back for the whole state.. Yes, it is stupid, but it is what it is.

Take what you can get and then go back for more...

sonovasailor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    southport
    To me, it really doesn't matter. I'm very fond of my Ruger .44 Mag Carbine. It will do everything I want it to do. I dropped a buck at 128 yards, last year, in the deep woods of Hoosier National Forest.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    To me, it really doesn't matter. I'm very fond of my Ruger .44 Mag Carbine. It will do everything I want it to do. I dropped a buck at 128 yards, last year, in the deep woods of Hoosier National Forest.

Basically the same here, but mine is a .45 Colt Marlin.
    I still want the option of my .30-06, because I'm tired of it being relegated exclusively to coyotes and smaller.
    btw...those Ruger carbines are really nice guns with some collector value, depending on condition, even though yours is surely a working rifle.
    Parenthetically, didn't they label them "Deerstalker" at some point in their production?

ART338WM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 2, 2013
    My biggest complaint is with sabot ammo cost and performance limitations. I have a safe full of 100% honest no BS tack driving rifles, that for no lagitimate reason what so ever I can't use to deer hunt in my own state, when I can use them all to hunt varmints, and unless I'm mistaken on how the law reads, even squirrels with any rifle (even my 338wm) I so choose that I own, but not deer?

Only a government agency can make such a flat out idiotic rules.

I'm also utterly surprised at the complete ignorance of so many hunters (some of my closest friends included) when it comes to the fact that not a nickles worth of hard data shows HP rifles are any more dangerous than sabot slug guns or modern in line ML's. But then again after this country elected then re-elected our current president, I will never again make the mistake of underestimating peoples capacity for stupidity.

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    I'm also utterly surprised at the complete ignorance of so many hunters (some of my closest friends included) when it comes to the fact that not a nickles worth of hard data shows HP rifles are any more dangerous than sabot slug guns or modern in line ML's. But then again after this country elected then re-elected our current president, I will never again make the mistake of underestimating peoples capacity for stupidity.

The scary part, is those who are against it are probably very dangerous hunters. A guy I worked with was discussing the topic once with me and claimed a rifle would travel much farther and possibly hit someone. I told him that the basic rules of shooting at anything is that you must be sure of your backstop, in other words it should not matter what you are shooting if you know an over penetration or a miss would result in the bullet being stopped by whatever is behind it so it doesn't harm someone. In other words, if you are hunting and a deer walks over a hill, you simply don't take the shot because you don't know what or who is beyond that hill. His response was "well, you can't always wait for a perfect shot with something behind the deer to stop the bullet when you are deer hunting".
    You would think the guy would understand when he himself told me the story of his ignorant neighbors who were shooting a .44 magnum at cans up against a pile of brush for a backstop. He knew this because his wife was outside and came in complaining to him that the bullets kept wizzing by her. He had to go have a talk with the neighbors. Yea, stupid people are out there, and if they are worried about a center fire rifle going too far, then they are likely not certain of their backstops. I personally would feel safer if that were all we could use. Center fire ammo from a deer stand will be more likely to punch into the ground and stay rather than skip like a shotgun slug.

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    ^^^^^^
    Yes, my decision to build a 458 AR was a good move! I was beginning to think it was gonna be a bad deal. Now if I could just find some ammo for it!

You guys do know that thousands of people build .458 SOCOM's for reasons other than hunting, don't you? There's a big difference between a .458 SOCOM and one of the Indiana wildcats when it comes to resale value.

ChrisK1977

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    The .458 and .450 is a heck of a round whether other rounds that should be legal are not. Even if we would of been able to use other calibers I would not get rid of my .450. It is a great round. Just stinks that we can use this but can't use a .45-70 unless the case is cut down. One of these days I think most of us will be able to use what ever we want to use during the firearm season if we are not on State property. I am sure it will be tweaked a bit and pass eventually.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Glad it didn't pass. Real bone heads out there. Keep them armed with stick and string or dum dum shot gun slugs. We all know no one pays any attention to the rules anyways. Opening day was a folly of fire in all directions from 22 long rifle to all out magnum boom sticks.

I saw a guy with a 22-250 muzzle loader.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Glad it didn't pass. Real bone heads out there. Keep them armed with stick and string or dum dum shot gun slugs. We all know no one pays any attention to the rules anyways. Opening day was a folly of fire in all directions from 22 long rifle to all out magnum boom sticks.

I saw a guy with a 22-250 muzzle loader.

Arrogant much? Real bone heads around this forum too. Accusations like this are usually the result of projecting one's short comings on others.

Top Bottom