• chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Here is the bill in question:

House Bill 1415 - Various natural resources matters - Indiana General Assembly, 2017 Session

Text:

Indiana General Assembly, 2017 Session

Like others, I'm not seeing how the changes in THIS bill have impacted the public-vs-private statutory language extant prior to the bill. Perhaps someone can explain?

SECTION 6. IC 14-22-2-8, AS ADDED BY P.L.110-2016, SECTION 1, IS AMENDED TO READ AS FOLLOWS [EFFECTIVE JULY 1, 2017]: Sec. 8. (a) This section applies to a hunting season beginning after June 30, 2016, and ending before January 1, 2020.
    (b) A hunter may use a rifle during the firearms season to hunt deer subject to the following:
    (1) The use of a rifle is permitted only on privately owned land.
    (2) The rifle must have a barrel length of at least sixteen (16) inches.
    (3) The rifle must be chambered for a cartridge that is two hundred forty-three thousandths (.243) of an inch in diameter or larger. one (1) of the following cartridges:
    (A) .243.
    (B) .30-30.
    (C) .300.
    (D) .30-06.
    (E) .308.

(4) The rifle must fire a cartridge that has a minimum case length of one and sixteen-hundredths (1.16) inches.
    (4) (5) A hunter may not possess more than ten (10) cartridges for the rifle while hunting deer under this section.
    (5)(6) The rifle must meet any other requirements established by the department.
    (c) The use of a full metal jacketed bullet to hunt deer is unlawful.
    (d) The department shall report on the impact of the use of rifles to hunt deer under this section to the governor and, in an electronic format under IC 5-14-6, the general assembly before February 15, 2020.
    (e) This section expires June 30, 2020

Bold designates new wording. Red indicates wording to be removed.

gundawg

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2016
    Cedar Lake
    There is no "quick fix" guys.

They would need to reconvene the House and Senate and pass an amendment, then the governor would need to sign it.

Ain't happenin.

They effed up and we get screwed.

The end.

gundawg

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2016
    Cedar Lake
    I'm not sure what is worse, the idea that none of these tools in the state legislature actually read the laws they vote on, or the idea that they do read them and have no idea what the words in plain English mean.

Ithaca45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2014
    United States
    I talked to a CO who works our county (Noble) at the Dept. Wednesday evening and he showed me the email they got from command dated I believe Oct. 3. It clearly states that all rifles are illegal on public land this season. We reviewed the actual law and it's clear also, they really screwed this up.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Ithaca45,
    From what you observed are all rifles illegal or only cartridge rifles?

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Guess it's a good thing a replacement rear barrel band was picked up for the flintlock musket to mount a rear sight. Gosh I wonder what would look nice and be reliably functional.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I'm not sure what is worse, the idea that none of these tools in the state legislature actually read the laws they vote on, or the idea that they do read them and have no idea what the words in plain English mean.

It's not that they failed to read the law. It's that they failed to define "rifle" in that section of code, and the general definition of rifle includes PCRs. They furthermore, failed to realize that this broad definition of rifle overstepped the new code into controlling PCRs that were previously allowed through NRC admin rules. The admin rules were fine until the legislature wrote code that over-rules them...

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Good thing I spent well over $1,000 getting my suppressed .300blk bolt action JUST for this season:rolleyes: The government is useless.

You wouldn't have been able to use it on public land anyway. That hasn't been made legal yet. You can still use it on private land.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Good thing I spent well over $1,000 getting my suppressed .300blk bolt action JUST for this season:rolleyes: The government is useless.

If you ran a business and found out an employee was stealing from you, what would you do?
    Worse than stealing your money these employees are stealing your freedom.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    rzHZnos.png

Copy of the email they are sending out notifying people on the list of the emergency ruling that has been put in place.

Top Bottom