• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sht4brnz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Aug 29, 2012
    N.IndNpls
    Does anybody have any experience shooting with this group?
    It appears they shoot F-class, F/TR, and across the range at Camp Atterbury.
    Looks like they have 1000yd and beyond going on this weekend 7/27-7/28.
    I'm new to experience anything at that distance and wondered if anyone could offer some insight on what to bring and be prepared for.

CIHPRS.org

PMY

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2008
    Mishawaka
    I often shoot both across-the-course & long range there. Since it is on the military base you do need to get your information to them by the Tuesday before the match (for the list of authorized visitors that they keep at the main gate), so you might be out-of-luck for this weekend. Might still be worth a try to shoot Jeff an email, just in case, but be prepared to hear "sorry."

There are still a couple of long range matches left this year, so you can get yourself set up now for those.

Everyone is extremely friendly, and eager to help you get on target. The long range matches are pretty informal, so if you need a little coaching the first couple times, it shouldn't be a big deal (especially during your sighters). If you can chronograph your ammo & run it through a calculator like JBM - Calculations so you have an educated guess about your come-up to 1000 yards, you'll have a lot less frustrating start. Otherwise, make a guess on velocity and run it through JBM. The long range target is pretty big, if you've got a good no-wind-zero and a decent guess on the wind speed to start they'll get you there.

As far as what to bring, you really only need your rifle, mat, and ammo. (Bring lots of ammo. In long range you usually get unlimited sighters, and especially the first time at 1000, you never know how many you'll need.) A spotting scope is a necessity if you're shooting irons, and very handy to have to watch the wind, even if you're shooting a scope. Jacket & sling, if you're shooting conventional. Bipod or front rest, and rear bag, if you're shooting F-Class. And of course, you'll be out in the sun (or rain) all day, so sunscreen, rain gear, bug spray, plenty to drink, and something to eat. There's no food or water out on the range.

Having a basic idea of what you need to do in the pits is good too. Sometimes you might be running a target by yourself, so knowing which marker to stick where and remembering to have a paster handy will keep your shooter happy. There's not much to it, most people get the hang of it pretty quickly.

Long range shooting is a lot of fun. When you shoot a 10 (or an X!) at 1000 yards you feel like you've accomplished something!

I won't be there this weekend. I'll be getting ready to go to Camp Perry. But hope to see you this fall!

Mog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Indianapolis
    PMY, Thanks!! Good summary! You- new shootes- are welcome to join us, but as he said, we have to have name, date of birth, address and rifle type, caliber and serial number for our access roster by Tuesday of match weekends to submit to Atterbury Security. In the past we've had leeway but July is MP Training, so they are following protocol TO THE LETTER just now-- I got notice this afternoon *NO MORE ADDITIONS* to the *FINAL* edition of the roster. Yes, we do have matches in September so PM me or send me an email at suemogle@yahoo.com (the email on the website) and I'll be happy to answer any questions and/or add your information to the roster for September.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    200 yd Rapid Fire at Atterbury with the CIHPRS

[video=youtube_share;BQ_3OlG153U]http://youtu.be/BQ_3OlG153U[/video]

Last edited:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    When did they start shooting sitting rapid at 300 yards?

I think John cross fired the "2" button on his key board. Happens to the best of them.

I was at a club level PALMA Match where some wise guy comments were made and two high master level men picked up their rifles and shot 1000 yards off hand. The scoring was not as impressive as prone, but the fact over 1/2 of the shots were making the scoring rings was pretty impressive.

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    Sorry for the necro-post in a thread that is several years old but I didn't feel my post was worthy of a new thread.

Are any INGO folks still actively involved in CIHPRS? I have a couple of questions and would love to pick the brain of someone via PM that might be shooting down there this spring/summer.

Thanks in advance.

Top Bottom