• Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    CAI is a crap shoot.

You may get a decent one, or you may get a P.O.S.

Know EVERYTHING there is to know about the particular model when you go to look at it.

warriorbob

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96%
    24   1   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    If you have the opportunity to inspect the rifle and make sure everything is right go for it and enjoy it.

winchester

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    ive bought 2 cai wasr's and 2 cai vz 58's and all are great but i did get to inspect the ak's before i bought them. :ar15:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    It has been a number of years since I bought a rifle from them. I paid the extra for a hand selected Mauser and it was pretty good. I know they do not have a top reputation, but it worked out ok for me.

gncc600

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Lafayette
    Had a junk SKS and really great CETME. I don't think they really manufacture anything just import guns and put them in their own box.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    It'll likely need work, and by the time you have a functional gun you could have just had an AK built from a parts kit for less money.

I have never encountered a CAI manufactured AK that was even passable for the $200 pricetag they used to go for, and I've sorted through crates worth and even had one for a short while as a project gun. Seeing people pay $400+ for them now days is depressing. The few people who stick up for them ever so vocally aren't understanding that I'm not bashing their gun, I'm saying they could have had 10 times the gun if they hadn't bought the easiest possible to find thing.

At least with regards to their AKs... I know there's other things, like handguns, that they didn't build on rusted out parts kits with out of spec receivers. There's some things they just refinish, stamp a name on and send out the door. It's the stuff they've built from parts kits that's truly horrifying.

Go with:
    Arsenal
    Waffen works
    Converted saigas/veprs
    There were a couple other builders that were in the affordable range, but I've not seen them around for a year or 2.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    My only milled AK is a Century Polish 1960. It is a great rifle. If you want a 74, get a Waffen Werks on an NDS receiver. I would gladly buy a cheap Century if I could inspect it first. If it needs fixing, I can do it but the price must reflect that.

What you buy will depend on what you are looking for. I value simplicity and ubiquitousness. I want all my AKs to behave exactly the same, just like Mother Russia demanded.

YoungMilsurpGuy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    Crown Point
    I bought a Century Polish AKMS underfolder and had no problems with it and am about 1000 rounds in using mostly tulammo.

But then I bought a Century Romanian Tokarev and after dry firing a few times, the firing pin broke on me.

*Shrug* I would research the specific model of what you are buying and see what parts they put into it. Century guns can be solid or a crapshoot, or a roll of the dice

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Also keep in mind:

Their warranty period of 1 year begins when the item leaves THEIR place - not 1 year from when you buy it.

If something sits at a distributor for several months...then spends a few months at a local shop... Your warranty just may not exist.

-J-

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Also keep in mind:

Their warranty period of 1 year begins when the item leaves THEIR place - not 1 year from when you buy it.

If something sits at a distributor for several months...then spends a few months at a local shop... Your warranty just may not exist.

-J-

Really? That's just gay...

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Really? That's just gay...

It might've been MAC (Military Arms Channel) that went a few very public rounds with them and their warranty service. I think the result was that they "did him a favor" and serviced his 5.56-barreled AK74 (supposed to have been 5.45...

This was back when no one wanted an AK-74 and distributors and shops were flush with them.

I honestly doubt you'd find any CAI product that had been sitting somewhere for that long these days. Guess that plays in the end-consumer's favor.

-J-

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    My CETME required me to become a CETME student to fix the rifle so it was safe to shoot.... that kinda pissed me off. it shoots great now, but you shouldn't have to fix something like that. I wouldn't buy anything unless you can handle it first. The risk that you may have to fix it first isn't worth it. For a bit more you can get something that functions better, and is prettier

9x18

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2013
    Central Florida
    its hit or miss, I would inspect it before I buy it. With that said I have a 2 C93s and they been functioning flawlessly. but I did get to inspect them. As far as their AKs I have no clue.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Brandonki
    Top Bottom