• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    It was just spraying too dry. Even only a couple inches away. Just need more practice I think. I'll get the hang of it. I'm not ashamed to admit I screwed up, at least I tried and will continue to try until I am happy with it. I blame my father for making me such a perfectionist!

doddsracing

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    Norman,IN
    I have a Badger dual action the piston slik is real thin. I spray my parts while they are warm and spray real lite and keep going over until covered. You can let it flash between coats. It took a while before I could get it done without runs.

Colts

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2011
    Roundabout Circle City
    The alumina grit blast removes any oxide film; without any protective layer oxide will reform (starting in minutes).

Heating and coating (painting) should be done as soon as possible after blasting. 30 min. OK, a few hours maybe; but overnight is too long (oxide will have a chance to return, especially after heating in the oven).

Items must be painted immediately after heating (best while still warm) and humidity matters too (not too much or too little).

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    Contact AllenM and see what he is using. He is also in the auto repair/finish industry and he is now doing Cerakote finish work too. He will be building my Colt frame and stainless Caspian slide into a paper killing 1911 soon and the frame will be getting refinished in Cerakote. He has pics of some of his work in the advertisers/supporters section under Diamond Collision.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Bumping this as there will be fresh pix tonite! Had some things come up that we're a little more important at the moment so this got put on hold. Luckily the owner was completely understanding.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Well she's finally done! It may have taken awhile to sort out the problems, but it does help if you grab the right spray gun and figure out the right air pressure to use. Turned out fantastic. It always could have been better, but with this being my first one I'm very pleased. They will only get better from here on out. The owner has not seen it yet he knows its painted but thats it. On to the pix!

IMG_2406_zps49582b16.jpg

IMG_2407_zps555914ea.jpg

IMG_2408_zps65817d32.jpg

IMG_2409_zpsa72b9638.jpg

I hope you all enjoyed this learning experience with me! Big thanks to AllenM for a little help. Id like to thank my buddy dchiu for giving me the opportunity to ruin his gun for him!

Thanks, Jon

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I just picked up a media blaster gun for my compressor, I'm going to start experimenting with parkerizing small parts...

All of the 'upgrades' I've ordered for my 1911 come blued when my gun is park'd so they don't match. The hard part will be getting the parkerized finish to match but even if it's a little different it won't be a shiny/glossy versus a matte.

Cerakote is a bit more than my skill level allows, I'd defer to AllenM for that :)

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Thanks guys! I appreciate it! Allen the silver is satin aluminum. And mike with the right setup anybody can do it! With a cheap HLVP touch up gun and some patience it can be done.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Thanks guys! I appreciate it! Allen the silver is satin aluminum. And mike with the right setup anybody can do it! With a cheap HLVP touch up gun and some patience it can be done.
    I have absolutely 0 skill at applying a painted product evenly... I've tried plenty of times and it's always obvious it's the work of an amateur :).

ranger2k

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Franklin
    Well she's finally done! It may have taken awhile to sort out the problems, but it does help if you grab the right spray gun and figure out the right air pressure to use. Turned out fantastic. It always could have been better, but with this being my first one I'm very pleased. They will only get better from here on out. The owner has not seen it yet he knows its painted but thats it. On to the pix!

IMG_2406_zps49582b16.jpg

IMG_2407_zps555914ea.jpg

IMG_2408_zps65817d32.jpg

IMG_2409_zpsa72b9638.jpg

I hope you all enjoyed this learning experience with me! Big thanks to AllenM for a little help. Id like to thank my buddy dchiu for giving me the opportunity to ruin his gun for him!

Thanks, Jon

that looks awesome! I might have to try that out on one of my older guns. Congrats :ingo:

Top Bottom