• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TNLongShot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2015
    Charlestown
    Earlier this year I had my G17 cerakoted by a local shop. They did a great job and turn around time was super fast (4 days) compared to what I expected. This is the first handgun I've had cerakoted, having my done my McRee stock on my long rifle by a shop down in TN a couple years ago. That rifle still looks as good as the day that it was picked up, even though I've had it out at the range and in the fields not babying it at all.

When I picked up the G17 (I took it there in the factory case) the guy said to not holster it for at least a few days. I brought it home and took it out of the case and put it in the safe and left it for nearly a week. I took it out and carried it for a few hours IWB in my trusty galco leather holster. Here's the part where I wonder if I screwed it up. The last time I carried it when I got home I pulled holster and gun out and put it in the safe (still in the holster). There it stayed for a few weeks while I carried others. Next time I took it out I drew the pistol and noticed some of the finish at the front bottom of the trigger guard and along the bottom of the sides of the rail had rubbed off. When I touched it there was a tacky feel and I easily rubbed more off in those areas. This was not the case on the slide or the grip. My concern is by leaving it in the holster in the safe after carrying it did I trap moisture there and did that break down the finish, or was there a problem with the application and that's why the other areas that were in contact with the holster are not affected.

I'm going to take it back to the shop to let them look at it, but I just wanted to see if there were any similar experiences out there. A search didn't turn up anything for me. Regardless of my fault or product/application failure, I will definitely stop storing my handguns holstered.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    It doesn't sound like you did anything wrong, but it appears they didn't do a good job. When I had my gun coated, there was no mention of a waiting period to do anything and it's still good five years later. of course there are a few marks, but the coating hasn't come off.

TNLongShot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2015
    Charlestown
    I should also say that its been several weeks since I first noticed the problem. The pistol has not been holstered since and the problem areas are still tacky to touch.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    Sounds like the paint wasn't cured for the proper amount of time at the correct temperature or the surface prep was contaminated. Cerakote should not rub off like that.

TNLongShot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2015
    Charlestown
    Did they say if they used the oven cure or air cure version?

I didn't ask, but will. I took it by there today and the guy is out till Monday but the owner of the shop assured me they'd take care of it at no charge.

Should I worry about general use of that particular holster at all?

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    I didn't ask, but will. I took it by there today and the guy is out till Monday but the owner of the shop assured me they'd take care of it at no charge.

Should I worry about general use of that particular holster at all?
    I wouldn't. Leather, kydex, etc. It doesn't matter. If it was properly coated it would not rub off like that.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Never leave a gun in the holster when you are not carrying it. Various chemicals like chromium salts are used in the tanning of the leather that may react with a painted finish (baked or not). Plus most holsters will absorb and retain moisture from the air when the humidity goes above 50%. It's just like placing your gun in a plastic bag with a wet rag. I cannot see any possible reason whatsoever to Cerakote a polymer gun unless you just desire a different color. Why did you choose to Cerakote a Glock? (not slamming you - just curious)

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    After having Cerakote, hydro dipping, etc. Cerakote is relegated to my Oakleys, hydro dip to toys, and good ole Krylon for guns!

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Was it Cerakoted or Duracoated?

I'm thinking about getting a SBH and having the frame cerakoted to look like brass (or if I find a well holster worn new odel, have the whole thing done in OD green and run black horn grips w old style medallions).

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    I have never had that done to any firearms, nor have tried it, but the very nature of having it "coated" is to protect what is underneath. It sounds like they did not do the job properly, knew it, so told you to let it set for a while in the hopes that their work would actually "work". :dunno:

Top Bottom