• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gajones06

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2011
    I have a bersa 380 thunder that has some rust on the slide, not surface rust. I was wondering if anyone has used cerakote an could report on long term durability of it. Also I am looking for somewhere in state that I can have someone apply it rather then doing it myself, would prefer if they would teach me but I know that's more than likely may not going to happen.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I have a bersa 380 thunder that has some rust on the slide, not surface rust. I was wondering if anyone has used cerakote an could report on long term durability of it. Also I am looking for somewhere in state that I can have someone apply it rather then doing it myself, would prefer if they would teach me but I know that's more than likely may not going to happen.

In my very limited experience with Cerakote, I've been less than impressed. The durability seems a bit over hyped. My cerakoted slide showed obvious holster wear just a few days after coating. Full disclosure, one of those days included a pistol class with several draws and reholsters.

The reason I had it coated to begin with was the factory finish had worn and was allowing surface rust to form. The surface rust continued after despite of the coating.

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    If one is looking for a more durable finish, I would suggest hardchrome. I have two pistols that have been hardchromed, and no issues whatsoever.

loony1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Southside Indy
    Cerakote is arguably the most durable gun finish on the market. We have cerakoted a lot of guns with only a couple complaints on the durability. However, just like any finish out there it will show holster wear over a period of time.

Here are some good videos to watch:Cerakote Coatings: Testing

Give us a call if we can help.

Last edited:

Onionsanddragons

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 13, 2014
    Terre Haute
    With something like Cerakote, your results will mostly be based on how skillfully the item is prepped and the coating is applied.

It is good stuff if done well.

I much prefer the Electroless Nickel finishes to a hard chrome. It distributes more evenly and can be better tailored to the use of the weapon with additives.

Top Bottom