Certain dog breeds...I just don't get it.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    This irrational fear of pitbulls ranks right up there with the anti gun crowd. Just plain uninformed and buying in to the main stream media bull s**t.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    All dogs can have bad blood, or be brought up wrong. I had one friend with a pit bull….only one I was around. Wouldn't bother a smaller dog or people, but a bigger dog it would attack right now. He didn't train it to do that, just in the blood I guess. I had Huskies, and they were pretty good, however one guy that bred them stopped breeding his best male when a litter of pups from him grew up and everyone wanted to fight other dogs, he said he knew to stop breeding him then, didn't want that bad blood to pass on. I had a Rottwieller attack my wife and kids in my yard….Mossberg .12 ga. took care of that, not all dogs fault, owner was beating, hitting it and making it mean, even called the cops about it with no results. I been dog bit so many time as a kid from all kinds of dogs, if it bites, it needs to bleed. Some people are more at fault than the dog, but just what I have seen in different dogs, I wouldn't take the liability of having a pit bull, rottwieller or german shepherd, not sure if its the breed or owners I don't trust, probably both.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    All dogs can have bad blood, or be brought up wrong. I had one friend with a pit bull….only one I was around. Wouldn't bother a smaller dog or people, but a bigger dog it would attack right now. He didn't train it to do that, just in the blood I guess. I had Huskies, and they were pretty good, however one guy that bred them stopped breeding his best male when a litter of pups from him grew up and everyone wanted to fight other dogs, he said he knew to stop breeding him then, didn't want that bad blood to pass on. I had a Rottwieller attack my wife and kids in my yard….Mossberg .12 ga. took care of that, not all dogs fault, owner was beating, hitting it and making it mean, even called the cops about it with no results. I been dog bit so many time as a kid from all kinds of dogs, if it bites, it needs to bleed. Some people are more at fault than the dog, but just what I have seen in different dogs, I wouldn't take the liability of having a pit bull, rottwieller or german shepherd, not sure if its the breed or owners I don't trust, probably both.

I have been put down on my bicycle by a pack (4) of chiwawa's.....how in the hell do you spell that.

2 of them attacked the front wheel. Paper bags were on the handle bars and I went down hard. Killed one of the little rat dogs. The others were biting the hell out of me. I was 14 or so on my Paper route.

I hate ankle biters to this day.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I didnt read the whole thread, I have a rottweiler named Tinkerbell, and a Pit mix named Destiny. Both HATE other dogs, but my 1 year old crawls all over them without concern (I wouldnt suggest yelling at my kids around my dogs)

My sister has a tea cup Chihuahua that has bit lost of people. No one except me thinks its a big deal that the Chihuahua bits people, but no one thinks my Rotty should be around the kids :dunno:

MilliJac

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2014
    The Fort

Sorry, I didn't have time to type out a full post when I posted this link. I just dropped it to facilitate discussion, not make a specific point. However, the line from the story that I found interesting...

Oliver was taken to a hospital for a psychological evaluation before she was arrested on eight counts of assault and two counts of reckless endangerment, Markowski said.

These two dogs will die. The man, who is an artist, will likely never be able to work his craft again. I hope this woman spends a lot of time in jail.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    This irrational fear of pitbulls ranks right up there with the anti gun crowd. Just plain uninformed and buying in to the main stream media bull s**t.

That's interesting, But from my personal experiences with work and home life I have put a few dogs in never never land and everyone of them was either a Bully Breed, dobie and a couple of rotts. All of them in the top 10 dogs to maim, cause disfigurement and death.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    I have been put down on my bicycle by a pack (4) of chiwawa's.....how in the hell do you spell that.

2 of them attacked the front wheel. Paper bags were on the handle bars and I went down hard. Killed one of the little rat dogs. The others were biting the hell out of me. I was 14 or so on my Paper route.

I hate ankle biters to this day.

Ain't never seen one of those little yiper dogs yet I didn't feel like shooting…..LOL…..wife keeps wanting a chitsu….I say for what reason…..target practice? That ends the discussion cause she knows I'm serious. Best dog I ever had was a black cocker spaniel when I was kid, about 20 lbs. of pure hunting dog, rabbits, quail…never attack anyone and it roamed free. Had 2 big dogs attack me in yard while owner was chasing and yelling at them when a black fur ball race past me and attacked those 2 dogs head on, knocked the one over she hit it so fast, and sent them on their way, she was fearless like that, save me that day….I sure miss that dog.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    :(

'Hero Pit Bull’ Dies After Protecting Kids From Poisonous Coral Snake in Florida'

didlSAe.jpg

https://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/Hero-Pit-Bull-Dies-Protecting-Kids-From-Snake-in-Florida-561544931.html?_osource=taboola-recirc

https://www.foxnews.com/us/florida-pit-bull-snake-bite-children-dies

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    How do they know that it wasn't the snake who died saving the kid from the pitbull?

I was actually kidding when I posted that ^, but doing some research, turns out there has been one person killed in the US by a Coral snake bite since 1967. And THAT guy was trying to kill the snake when he got bit. So, one Coral snake bites and kills some guy, in defense of his own life, in over 50 years, and everyone assumes that the Coral snake in that story must have meant to kill that kid. Talk about bias?

Probably a thousand people out there who could have avoided death or disfigurement if certain other people had owned Coral snakes instead of dogs.

Last edited:

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    At least I am honest and admit that my 3 (100% of people I know personally) cases don't prove anything. Will you be honest and admit that the 460,000 videos that come up when you enter "pit bull attack" in You Tube is an indication that this is more than just a "media bias"?

Pit bull attack....

That's not stacking the deck at all.

How about you look up "crazy gun owner" and cry allbgun owners are crazy bc of all the videos. Or "******* cop"
    Etc etc.

Jeepfanatic

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2018
    Plainfield
    If anyone remembers how "cool" you were to have a GSD in the 70s and the breed got a bad rap.

In the 80s it was the Dobermann.

In the 90s it was the Rottweiler.

In the 2000s it became the Pitbull.

Some people should never be allowed to have children and some should never be allowed to have animals. If you chain a dog up all of the time, never socialize it and treat it like crap it will become a ticking time bomb.

Google search "the nanny dog" and educate yourself.

Wstar425

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2018
    Sandia Park, New Mexico
    Some people are “cool” in the ‘10s!! Haha

Yesterday I went to an American Cancer Society dog walk with Noki. This is our 7th GSD. This dog and one other female is/were more aggressive than the others were, by far. I can not let people march up to me with a purpose and attempt to pet Noki “because they LOVE dogs”! You CAN pet her, but we approach you.

They also had a K9 Officer demonstration of a drug/tracking dog, as well as some friends of ours had an agility dog demo and some obstacles you could play with. The third time thru the tunnel she had it down!!

While Noki is not initially friendly, she will not run to attack something or somebody. As long as you give us 8 feet, all is good. Inside that quickly and unexpectedly, expect hell to break loose. While she has not ever bitten anyone, she has barked at quite a few people’s fingertips who skipped the important step of asking permission to pet a dog on a leash being held by a man open carrying a firearm.

We do a few walks and public events. The DO NOT PET vest is on at arrival, but comes off after some point, depending. By the end of the day and during the agility fun part she was off leash mostly. My leash is 10 inches long so I can just drop it. She does not like to be far from me, she will stay and I can walk as far away as I want, but if someone comes to talk to me she will break her stay, run full speed to me and get between us. No attack, just I’m here. I can’t seem to break this, all other times she will stay for 20 minutes or longer.

If she were to ever bite someone due to their stupidity, I would demand that they be immediately put down.

We have a fenced in back yard, she is on leash on walks other than a few remote areas, and always wears a shock collar. Goes to 10, #3 makes her feet come off the ground. Trained to come on the beep, RARELY use the shock.

Never had a Pit. Our daughter has had a couple rescues, all big babies. Not a fan, but then lots of people don’t like German Shepherds. If every dog in the world was identical, it’d be a pretty boring place. I’m more of the opinion it’s an owner problem than an individual dog problem. But, it might be partly a breed problem. Our town bans pits and 7 other breeds including Rotts, but not Dobermans or GSD.

Attachments

• 9CD0336C-9B79-4606-97BE-4A3F693D4DDB.jpg
      9CD0336C-9B79-4606-97BE-4A3F693D4DDB.jpg
      137.6 KB · Views: 17
    • 22957A28-EC31-481D-B177-1A39DA790993.jpg
      22957A28-EC31-481D-B177-1A39DA790993.jpg
      152.9 KB · Views: 12
    • 9B9FAA41-DF12-4230-89DE-CA1FAA03CEDF.jpg
      9B9FAA41-DF12-4230-89DE-CA1FAA03CEDF.jpg
      71.2 KB · Views: 16
    Last edited:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    When I was a kid, our dogs were always kept chained up out by their dog house. That was what everyone did back then, unless they just let them run loose.
    None of mine ever became mean, an english setter, golden retrieve and a brittany.

Jeepfanatic

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2018
    Plainfield
    Yesterday I went to an American Cancer Society dog walk with Noki. This is our 7th GSD. This dog and one other female are/were more aggressive than the others were, by far. I can not let people march up to me with a purpose and attempt to pet Noki “because they LOVE dogs”! You CAN pet her, but we approach you.

They also had a K9 Officer demonstration of a drug/tracking dog, as well as some friends of ours had an agility dog demo and some obstacles you could play with. The third time thru the tunnel she had it down!!

While Noki is not initially friendly, she will not run to attack something or somebody. As long as you give us 8 feet, all is good. Inside that quickly and unexpectedly, expect hell to break loose. While she has not ever bitten anyone, she has barked at quite a few people’s fingertips who skipped the step of asking permission to pet a dog on a leash being held by a man open carrying a firearm.

We do a few walks and public events. The DO NOT PET vest is in at arrival, but comes off after some point, depending. By the end of the day and during the agility fun part she was off leash mostly. My leash is 10 inches long so I can just drop it. She does not like to be far from me, she will stay and I can walk as far away as I want, but if someone comes to talk to me she will break her stay, run full speed to me and get between us. No attack, just I’m here. I can’t seem to break this, all other times she will stay for 20 minutes or longer.

If she were to ever bite someone due their stupidity, I would demand that they be immediately put down.

Never had a Pit. Our daughter has had a couple rescues, all big babies. Not a fan, but then lots of people don’t like German Shepherd. If every dog in the world was identical, it’d be a boring place. I’m more of the opinion it’s an owner problem than an individual dog problem. But, it might be partly agreed problem. Our town bans pits and 7 other breeds including Rotts, but not Dobermans or GSD.

I had an AmStaff that was the epitome of a nanny dog. I had him in a store and a little girl about 3 or 4 came running up behind us and before I could see what was happening she gave him a hug around the neck. He calmly turned and licked her on her cheek. It never phased him.

His trigger was dogs larger than him. They had to stay away or there would be a fight especially if they tried to be dominant.

We were on a dog walk in Indy when a woman came with a Golden Retriever that was walking her. The dog was totally in control and unbalanced. It kept trying to come after the other dogs on the walk. After multiple diversions on my part it finally ended when he latched onto that Golden's head and pinned it to the ground. He never shook, never went for another bite, he just pinned it. The woman started sobbing hysterically and apologizing to the dog for putting it in that situation. She then demanded for my information so that she could come after me for any vet bills they would incur. Keep in mind that no skin was even broken.

Wstar425

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2018
    Sandia Park, New Mexico
    I had an AmStaff that was the epitome of a nanny dog. I had him in a store and a little girl about 3 or 4 came running up behind us and before I could see what was happening she gave him a hug around the neck. He calmly turned and licked her on her cheek. It never phased him.

His trigger was dogs larger than him. They had to stay away or there would be a fight especially if they tried to be dominant.

We were on a dog walk in Indy when a woman came with a Golden Retriever that was walking her. The dog was totally in control and unbalanced. It kept trying to come after the other dogs on the walk. After multiple diversions on my part it finally ended when he latched onto that Golden's head and pinned it to the ground. He never shook, never went for another bite, he just pinned it. The woman started sobbing hysterically and apologizing to the dog for putting it in that situation. She then demanded for my information so that she could come after me for any vet bills they would incur. Keep in mind that no skin was even broken.

I was on a ROTC fundraiser walk, I might have posted about it. There was a woman with a German Shorthair Pointer walking (being drug) around with it on a 25 retractable at full extension, meeting all the other dogs. I heard her say several times “he’s friendly”. Wherever you heard barking and growling, there she was, being stupid. When she headed my way, I put my hand up and kind of shouted, probably a little too loudly, “Your dog will get bit, and likely killed!”

Everybody mostly kept their distance the rest of the day. Not sure why? One lady without a dog did come up to me and asked about my dog, and ended up petting her and giving her some lovin’. All good, it’s not that difficult. Respect people, ask permission. Say thank you.

Top Bottom