Certain dog breeds...I just don't get it.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    At least I am honest and admit that my 3 (100% of people I know personally) cases don't prove anything. Will you be honest and admit that the 460,000 videos that come up when you enter "pit bull attack" in You Tube is an indication that this is more than just a "media bias"?

Wait, you mean if you search for pitbull attacks, you’ll actually find pitbull attacks?! Next you’re gonna tell me if you search for ufo’s you’ll actually find ufo videos, and if you search for poodle attacks, you’ll actually find poodle attacks!

If you search for it of course you’ll find it. That’s how a search works. I have a pitbull, he’s 14 years old. He’s never even growled at another dog. The only time I have to separate him is when he tries mounting them.

When I was 10 I owned a hamster that bit me, my sister, and my dad. Does that mean they’re all aggressive? No, it means we had an a hole, just like some people are a holes.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Wait, you mean if you search for pitbull attacks, you’ll actually find pitbull attacks?! Next you’re gonna tell me if you search for ufo’s you’ll actually find ufo videos, and if you search for poodle attacks, you’ll actually find poodle attacks!

If you search for it of course you’ll find it. That’s how a search works. I have a pitbull, he’s 14 years old. He’s never even growled at another dog. The only time I have to separate him is when he tries mounting them.

When I was 10 I owned a hamster that bit me, my sister, and my dad. Does that mean they’re all aggressive? No, it means we had an a hole, just like some people are a holes.

Did you have the hamster chained up?
    I heard that's what makes them so mean.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    I'd say there's a correlation between attacks on strangers and strangers going places they're not supposed to go.

:dunno:

Blessings,
    Bill

So you are saying if I break into someone's place and their dog bites me, the it is my fault not the dogs? Maybe we need to make dog owners secure their dogs in their homes. Dogs must be kept muzzled and in a kennel. Nobody wants an innocent child injured for something as small as B&E?

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    Our oldest son who is a cop decided about 5 months ago to put their Pit mix down. Took our dog over and it did not go well. Ends up could not be around any dogs other than their other dog they have. Taking the dog to the vet was a chore, had to be muzzled. With a newborn on the way they decided to try to turn the dog in to various organizations. No one would take her. So they made the decision to put her down. About a month ago our son had to go on a call of a child being attacked by their family dog. It was pretty bad. After seeing what that child went through, he told me putting their dog down was the best decision they could of made. Now who knows what the child may have done. But with the aggressive history of their dog, you can't take any chances.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    We had a "bully breed" (I think it was an American Staffordshire) show up outside our fence one time. DoggyMama let it in (it had a collar on, so obviously had gotten away from someone). I fell in love with that dog. She was a big female, and just as sweet as could be, even to our other smaller dogs. I think she had just gotten lost and was trying to find her way back home. I put an ad on craigslist in the lost and found, but she spent the night with us.

At one point in the evening, she jumped up on me, put her paws around my neck and just leaned her head in to mine and let out a heavy sigh. That just made my heart melt. The owners contacted us the next morning and we exchanged phone numbers in case it happened again (it had apparently dug under their fence). I told them it was a good thing they came to get her or else we'd have had another dog. :):

She did actually end up coming over another time but we just called the owners and they came and got her. Her name was Roxy and was a beautiful brindle color. We have a brindle beagle/boston terrier mix (Belle) and Roxy looked like she could have been her mother.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    There are two kinds of pit-nutters in my experience. I have family and friends that occupy both ends of the spectrum. The pit-nutters at one end are the people who think all pits are inherently aggressive and dangerous, that given the opportunity, they'll all turn on their owners; they are the spawn of Satan. At the other end are people who think no pits are aggressive or dangerous, that all instances of aggression are the owners fault and not the dogs, that pits are "nanny dogs" in their breeding, which there's no real evidence that this is true; they are basically angels sent from Jesus to protect the flock. Both cite some truths that tend to agree with their belief. Neither tend to accept information that tends to cast doubt on their absolutist views.

If you are a pit nutter, here's the deal. Not all pits are dangerous. Not even most pits are dangerous. Statistically, of the bazillions of these dogs out there, we're not seeing bazillions of attacks. I know many people with pits who have had many pits over many years and have never had any problems with any of them. But. Some are dangerous, because there are many attacks reported. And it may be that they're the most reported dog attacks because they're very powerful, enough to kill people. I've had little yappers attack me, and, eh, you just drop kick those little ****ers and they kinda squeal and limp off. I'm not gonna report that a little yapper attacked me because I wasn't harmed. But if I were mauled by a powerful dog, I"m going to report that, because if I survive, I'll need medical treatment.

And, of the relatively few ones that are dangerous, not all of those cases are due to bad owners. Some some dogs are just mean and aggressive no matter how they're trained or treated. Sometimes genes just stack up on the wrong side and that can happen with any dog breed. They're rare enough, but because pits are so powerful, and the damage is so horrifying, the bad ones make the reputation for all of them bad.

But I realize this post won't help any real ass pit nutters be not pit nutters. If you are offended by this post, consider if you really fit the criteria for pit nutter: Are pits all bad? Are they all good? Are they all the Spawn of Satan? Are they all sent from Jesus to protect and nanny your precious children? If so, you just might be a pit nutter. However, if you acknowledge the best evidence that most are fine, but some are bad, you're not a pit nutter. I'm not talking about you. If it angers you that someone would dare say any pits are good, or any pits are bad, you're probably a pit nutter, and you should consider that you're ignoring evidence that tends to disprove your absolutist view.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I subscribe to the belief that there are no bad dogs, only bad owners. That being said, I am aware of no other breed where this is a recommended accessory for ownership. The quote is from the Pit Bull Rescue Central website and is not the only organization that makes this recommendation. That gives me pause. Like other protective breeds like GSD, Rottweiler, Doberman etc it is important that the owner establish absolute authority over the dog or consider some other breed if they're not up to it. "A man's got to know his limitations"

What Is a Break Stick?
    A break stick is a device inserted into the mouth of a pit bull (behind the molars) to facilitate the release of its grip on another dog.

Remember: pit bulls do not have a special mechanism or enzyme that allows them to "lock” their jaw, nor do they possess a higher than average “bite pressure.” They simply have the determination of a terrier.

Not all pit bulls are aggressive toward other dogs. But because the breed has a somewhat higher tendency for dog aggression, break sticks are useful tools to have in a multi-dog household. Please read the following guidelines before attempting to break up a fight using a break stick.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    There are two kinds of pit-nutters in my experience. I have family and friends that occupy both ends of the spectrum. The pit-nutters at one end are the people who think all pits are inherently aggressive and dangerous, that given the opportunity, they'll all turn on their owners; they are the spawn of Satan. At the other end are people who think no pits are aggressive or dangerous, that all instances of aggression are the owners fault and not the dogs, that pits are "nanny dogs" in their breeding, which there's no real evidence that this is true; they are basically angels sent from Jesus to protect the flock. Both cite some truths that tend to agree with their belief. Neither tend to accept information that tends to cast doubt on their absolutist views.

If you are a pit nutter, here's the deal. Not all pits are dangerous. Not even most pits are dangerous. Statistically, of the bazillions of these dogs out there, we're not seeing bazillions of attacks. I know many people with pits who have had many pits over many years and have never had any problems with any of them. But. Some are dangerous, because there are many attacks reported. And it may be that they're the most reported dog attacks because they're very powerful, enough to kill people. I've had little yappers attack me, and, eh, you just drop kick those little ****ers and they kinda squeal and limp off. I'm not gonna report that a little yapper attacked me because I wasn't harmed. But if I were mauled by a powerful dog, I"m going to report that, because if I survive, I'll need medical treatment.

And, of the relatively few ones that are dangerous, not all of those cases are due to bad owners. Some some dogs are just mean and aggressive no matter how they're trained or treated. Sometimes genes just stack up on the wrong side and that can happen with any dog breed. They're rare enough, but because pits are so powerful, and the damage is so horrifying, the bad ones make the reputation for all of them bad.

But I realize this post won't help any real ass pit nutters be not pit nutters. If you are offended by this post, consider if you really fit the criteria for pit nutter: Are pits all bad? Are they all good? Are they all the Spawn of Satan? Are they all sent from Jesus to protect and nanny your precious children? If so, you just might be a pit nutter. However, if you acknowledge the best evidence that most are fine, but some are bad, you're not a pit nutter. I'm not talking about you. If it angers you that someone would dare say any pits are good, or any pits are bad, you're probably a pit nutter, and you should consider that you're ignoring evidence that tends to disprove your absolutist view.

This ^^^

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I subscribe to the belief that there are no bad dogs, only bad owners. That being said, I am aware of no other breed where this is a recommended accessory for ownership. The quote is from the Pit Bull Rescue Central website and is not the only organization that makes this recommendation. That gives me pause. Like other protective breeds like GSD, Rottweiler, Doberman etc it is important that the owner establish absolute authority over the dog or consider some other breed if they're not up to it. "A man's got to know his limitations"

What Is a Break Stick?
    A break stick is a device inserted into the mouth of a pit bull (behind the molars) to facilitate the release of its grip on another dog.

Remember: pit bulls do not have a special mechanism or enzyme that allows them to "lock” their jaw, nor do they possess a higher than average “bite pressure.” They simply have the determination of a terrier.

Not all pit bulls are aggressive toward other dogs. But because the breed has a somewhat higher tendency for dog aggression, break sticks are useful tools to have in a multi-dog household. Please read the following guidelines before attempting to break up a fight using a break stick.

When we had two female Pitbulls (litter-mates), years ago, I had a break stick that I'd made after reading about it somewhere.

I made the stick after the second time that the two dogs decided, at the flip of a switch, to pile into each other. That second time, I was only able to get them apart by my wife and I dragging them close enough to the hose that I could run the water over their faces and when they started to choke, we were able to pull them apart. I never had to use the break stick, since we mostly kept those two separated after that, with one being relegated to spending most of her time in a kennel run.

Later, I got a male Pitbull, and when I took him to obedience classes, he'd won over even the most anti-Pitbull types by the end of the classes. He was great with people, great with other dogs, and I was devastated when he died prematurely.

I loved my Pitbulls, but I'll probably not have another one, since I just don't have that kind of energy to keep up with one these days.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    We just left the downtown area after leaving a tailgate. A guy walking towards us with a pit thanked us when I patted the dog on the head while waiting for traffic to clear. Said most people recoil in fear at his sight. Dog appeared to be a " big sweetie" in his disposition and was. Being a dog person I read.them pretty well but still.do take extra steps around them on occasion.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Personally I don't care for pits. Not because of their reputation, but I just don't like them. Too slobbery. Short hair makes them ugly. I don't care what you people say, they're ****ing ugly. I'm a fan of hearding dogs. Over the years I've had a lot of them of varying types. But mostly I like the muts. For the past 15 years we've head the pleasure of having a mut with some GS, border collie, and maybe a little Huskie, and he's been the best dog. And he's a dry mouth. So no slobber. Shedding is annoying though.

Top Bottom