• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GC Dude

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    I have a chance to buy one of the older Century builds, at least I think it is an older one. It has the wood handguard and buttstock on it. The guy says he has run one mag through it without problems.
    I just need to know what parts to check. I kinda know what to look at. I have done some research, because I was thinking of putting one together myself. What do you think a fair price would be?
    I'm thinking of trading my Longbranch, since I don't reload and .303 isn't easy to find.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Centerfire in Versailles has "new" Century CETMEs for $499. I would no longer give $450 for one from an individual that I hadn't seen run. They don't seem to sell that well currently and Century reputation (never stellar) wasn't aided by some problem runs of Galil and CETMEs.

Still... I do like them. ;)

CETME? Headspacing...

GC Dude

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    I saw those listed in the flier from Centerfire. I know that Century has them listed a little lower too.

Greenmonsta79

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Clay County, IN
    The Century Cetme I picked up looks alright, I took the weapon completely apart and checked the bolt head and nothing was ground down or wore,
    cleaned it all real good I have not shot it yet but have heard good things about the newer builds that's why I bought one plus I always wanted one
    I also bought the Century C93 in .223 the week before I bought the Cetme and It was just as nice quality welds all look good and fires and cycles great.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I don't have anything to add that'll help the OP... I apologize.

But could there be a better looking "main battle rifle" than a CETME with nice wood furniture?

The CETMEs and all their clones are just gorgeous rifles!

-J-

huntall50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    NW Indianapolis
    I think the Cetme's are hit and miss, so if you have a lead on one locally invest in some ammo and watch it run. May be your best option.

I was looking that route CETEME ,Ptr91 but ergonomics did not work for me. Indy_Guy, I think the FAL is the answer your question is looking for. You can start FAL vs. HK91(clones) wars almost anywhere!

IndianasFinest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Salem
    The best advice I can give you would be to look at the build location on the magwell. Older Cetme's that do not have the ground bolt issues will be stamped "St. Albans, VT". These are the cast stainless versions, not the stamped which is what Centerfire Systems is selling. Another way to tell if it is a cast receiver would be to look at the rear sight base. Cast Cetme's have a integral rear sight, and stamped versions are tack welded on all four corners. If it is a cast rifle it is worth picking up, and I would pay around $700 if it is in very good condition. When I bought mine 4 years ago, I paid $550 and it was LNIB, never fired. Let me know if I can be of more help, I have some good pictures that shows the difference of the cast/stamped receivers that I can PM you.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I think the Cetme's are hit and miss, so if you have a lead on one locally invest in some ammo and watch it run. May be your best option.

I was looking that route CETEME ,Ptr91 but ergonomics did not work for me. Indy_Guy, I think the FAL is the answer your question is looking for. You can start FAL vs. HK91(clones) wars almost anywhere!

Yes...the FAL is the originator... Early 50's vs late 50's for the CETME.

r3126

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    Indy westside
    But could there be a better looking "main battle rifle" than a CETME with nice wood furniture?

I have one with the wood furniture. Traded for it with someone who will remain un-named. Knew nothing about the rifle - MISTAKE #1. Took the word of the trader - MISTAKE #2.

After replacing the bolt head and installing oversized rollers correcting a major headspace issue, I now have a VERY reliable shooting battle rifle. I reworked the wood furniture and now it looks almost as good as it shoots.

Do your homework before you buy!

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    You want to check your bolt gap also to see if your rollers would have to be replaced and definitely check your bolt head.

And Cetmes ARE NOT HK91/G3 clones!:nono: Integral parts of these 2 guns are not interchangeable(i.e. bolt head, rollers, extractor, recoil buffer). A HK91/G3 clone would be a Springfield SAR3/8, Port XG3S, or PTR91. Cetmes are a direct descendant of the STG-44. After WWII was over, the makers of the STG-44 relocated to friendly Spain and refined the 44. What they came up with the was Cetme. The Germans then refined the Cetme even more and came up with the G3. Calling the Cetme a clone of the HK91 is like calling a M1 Garand a M14.

huntall50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    NW Indianapolis
    True, I did'nt think I need to offer a history lesson, hope he did his homework as I did. But one did give brainchild birth to the other via out of work German gun designers.

Greenmonsta79

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Clay County, IN
    Everything will swap from a HK91 to a Cetme except the following: Trunions, bolt carrier, locking lever for bolt carrier, bolt head, locking piece, cocking tube, support for cocking handle, Recoil buffer (unless your using a HK buttstock) Individual fire control parts. Everything else will interchange I bought a complete fully auto H&K91 lower with fire control group clipped & pinned (converted to semi) that fits the Cetme, Can't wait to get it!:rockwoot:

45-70

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Cale
    Below is the correct procedure for measuring bolt gap on a CETME

Also make sure to check for clearance between the charging handle carrier and the stop, if it bottoms out it will give a false bolt gap.

Best to take someone with you who knows these rifles and what to look for. They are a great battle rifle when properly assembled.

As far as the history of the CETME, it goes back to the 1940's. Heckler & Koch, obtained a license for the Vorgrimler / CETME rifle design around 1957 which became the G3.

Quote from world.guns.ru

"Initially Germans preferred the Belgian FN FAL rifle, and adopted it circa 1956 under the designation of G1. Due to obvious reasons Germany wanted to manufacture its military rifles, and attempted to buy a manufacturing license for FAL, but Belgium rejected the deal. So, Germany turned to the another design, available from Spanish company CETME"

Last edited:

GC Dude

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    I knew this would be the right place to get some help.
    IndianasFinest.....I had forgot about the cast stainless ones. I'm gonna have to check it out now for sure.
    45-70....thanks for that post. I had watched a video about checking the bolt gap. I think your post has a lot more detail.
    If I do decide to get it I'll be sure to post some pics.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    Everything will swap from a HK91 to a Cetme except the following: Trunions, bolt carrier, locking lever for bolt carrier, bolt head, locking piece, cocking tube, support for cocking handle, Recoil buffer (unless your using a HK buttstock) Individual fire control parts. Everything else will interchange I bought a complete fully auto H&K91 lower with fire control group clipped & pinned (converted to semi) that fits the Cetme, Can't wait to get it!:rockwoot:

That is quite a bit that doesn't swap...hence they are not clones. Point proven. Just be careful in what you buy. Century has a warranty, but only a year after they manufacture it!

IndianasFinest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Salem
    Thought I'd throw these up here for everyone.... Notice the difference in the rear sights.

Cast Version
    pix147290437Small.jpg

pix231409078Small.jpg

Stamped version
    pix125376500Small.jpg

Top Bottom