• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    I have a set for the Suburban, had the set ON the diesel, just took them off today, never had to use them.

If you just want one set, put them on the front.

Check the clearance around the front suspensions under full extension and compression, chains will wreck **** quick.

If they're not on real tight, don't drive, get them to fit before you head out.

Keep the speeds low, they tear up fenders fast if the loosen up.

Once you drive on ice with a set, you'll never go without them again, kinda like your first 4wd, or first winch.

I use mine in spring quite a bit pulling logs, they are really nice to have in the slippery spring muck.

Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute
    I have a set for the Suburban, had the set ON the diesel, just took them off today, never had to use them.

If you just want one set, put them on the front.

Check the clearance around the front suspensions under full extension and compression, chains will wreck **** quick.

If they're not on real tight, don't drive, get them to fit before you head out.

Keep the speeds low, they tear up fenders fast if the loosen up.

Once you drive on ice with a set, you'll never go without them again, kinda like your first 4wd, or first winch.

I use mine in spring quite a bit pulling logs, they are really nice to have in the slippery spring muck.

This! Dont need them much if at all around here. When I was up in Alaska used a bunch. Just make sure you have them on properly. Ill fitted chains will subject you to ridicule and property damage. Double whammy.

.40caltrucker

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    I have a set for my Blazer. Haven't used them on the road just in the yard a few times.

My next vehicle will be a 4X4 Silverado and I plan on getting 2 sets for it. I would be able to go anywhere.

oldbikelvr

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Bloomington, IN
    When I lived in Montana I used to be able to push snow over the hood of my Mazda GLC with chains on the front. The are awesome when you need them, however rare that is in Indiana.

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    After this ice--definitely thinking about getting some chains!!!

Me too!
    In my front wheel drive car it took me 40 minutes to go 4 miles today:xmad:. Half of that was gravel, and the other half paved. Under 4" of ice that is...
    I sure wish the county would spend a little bit of money on the roads around here.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    I have a full set for my semi and a set for my pickup. Never needed or used either. IMO, a complete waste of money and a poor excuse for lack of driving skill. If you ever do use them, don't forget to take them off between icy patches, they will destroy your tires and your chains on clean pavement. Also do not exceed 30mph with them. Cables are cheaper and easier to use, but the same rules apply.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Never needed or used either. IMO, a complete waste of money and a poor excuse for lack of driving skill. .

8% grade, ice covered, I'm pullung a gooseneck and a D2 cat and 30 large oak logs for the cabin.

What does traction have to do witrh driving skill. I take it you've never taken your rig out west much.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I have a full set for my semi and a set for my pickup. Never needed or used either. IMO, a complete waste of money and a poor excuse for lack of driving skill.
    Not so much there...
    Chains do have there place I have used them quite a little bit when I lived in Germany and out in the Rockies...
    If you ever do use them, don't forget to take them off between icy patches, they will destroy your tires and your chains on clean pavement. Also do not exceed 30mph with them. Cables are cheaper and easier to use, but the same rules apply.
    Pretty Decent Advice here though... ;)

8% grade, ice covered, I'm pullung a gooseneck and a D2 cat and 30 large oak logs for the cabin.

What does traction have to do witrh driving skill. I take it you've never taken your rig out west much.
    Not very many 8% grades here in North Central Indiana...

Chains for the Most part are not needed in Indiana. I set of WINTER tires on your car, or a good set of off-road tires on a 4wd will do just as well here in Indiana... ;)

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Not so much there...
    Chains do have there place I have used them quite a little bit when I lived in Germany and out in the Rockies...

Pretty Decent Advice here though... ;)

Not very many 8% grades here in North Central Indiana...

Chains for the Most part are not needed in Indiana. I set of WINTER tires on your car, or a good set of off-road tires on a 4wd will do just as well here in Indiana... ;)

Bring your truck then, we can test your traction and driving skill this weekend. :yesway:

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville

Driven out west plenty. If it's that bad either go around it or park. In the situation you describe if one chain breaks, you quite possibly die. Not worth it.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Nah...

I'll pass. Part of acquiring the Skills to drive in this weather is knowing when to and when not to screw around. LOL

I picked up a pair for each vehicle for less than $30 per set, off Amazon in the spring. To me, it isn't about knowing when not to screw around. It is knowing that I CAN get somewhere if it was required for me to do so.

This is the first weather that chains could have been a good idea, if an emergency required evacuation. I consider it cheap insurance.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I picked up a pair for each vehicle for less than $30 per set, off Amazon in the spring. To me, it isn't about knowing when not to screw around. It is knowing that I CAN get somewhere if it was required for me to do so.

This is the first weather that chains could have been a good idea, if an emergency required evacuation. I consider it cheap insurance.

I am not arguing that they are not a good thing, just saying for the largest part they are not needed in North Central Indiana. As long as you have a good set of tires on your vehicle of choice.

I have been responding to Emergencies for the last 3 days in haste, without the need to run Chains, often arriving on scene before the LEA...

Everybodies Mileage will vary though... :dunno:

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I am not arguing that they are not a good thing, just saying for the largest part they are not needed in North Central Indiana. As long as you have a good set of tires on your vehicle of choice.

I have been responding to Emergencies for the last 3 days in haste, without the need to run Chains, often arriving on scene before the LEA...

Everybodies Mileage will vary though... :dunno:

There are some hills near us that I have been in a condition where going up them was not possible, without great driving skills and 4wd. That one 1/8 mile stretch that means the difference between go and no-go is the reason I have them.

Top Bottom