• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Patrolman1981

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2010
    Richmond, In
    I have cut wood for 15 years. I have a Stihl Farmboss and cut enough wood to heat my home and my parents home as well. I have always used a standard Stihl chain, but wondered is there something better? I am looking for the best chains out there. Please give me some opinions on what is the best for all round cutting, trimming, and cutting logs 12" to 24" in diameter.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    I have never been able to tell much difference in longevity between Stihl and Orgeon chains. Don't remember having used any other makes.

I do prefer a skip pattern chain, like Stihl's RSF and RSLF. They help keep the saw's speed up around its torque peak.

If you know how to run a saw safely, avoid anything labeled 'low kickback' or 'compliance'...too slow.

tmkr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    full chisel cuts fastest,butnot very resistant to accidents,chain in dirt ect.semi chisel is a bit more durable.:twocents:

one more

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I prefer Stihl but over the years have run them all. Carlton, Windsor, Oregon, Homelite (years ago on my XL12's-more then likely Oregon with a H on it?)
    The yellow code Stihl chains will cut faster. I like to run Full Chisel in the summer and semi-chisel in the winter. With snow on the ground it can be a little harder to stay out of the dirt when you can not see it.
    And like the guys have all ready said, running skip will keep your RPM's up where you want them.
    I am with ghitch75 here skip on the longer bars for sure. :yesway:

one more

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    On a similar note, we had this same conversation about chains recently at our local Stihl shop. Even with a new chain, my friends saw was just not running right. We asked, there has to be a better chain then the one he had just bought. My Stihl has no issues.

As it turns out the chain was not the problem.

The new trick we learned was every time you sharpen your chain, flip your bar. His saw is maybe 15 years old? It has seen plenty of use and been pushed to its limits. Over time, the bar wears unevenly to one side so you start to get a tilt with your chain. There comes a point were it is just too much tilt.

Neither of us had ever heard of this but we are believers now.

Top Bottom