• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I have an old stihl 026 that is giving up the ghost. The kill switch is broken and it seems like a cylinder might be going bad (it pops every other compression). Instead of sinking money into it, I'm going to get a new one. So here's what I'm looking for...

I want something with a little more power that uses the same chains. I've got two sixteen inch chains and two twenty inch chains so I don't want them to go to waste. Is the MS290 more powerful than the 026? Any other suggestions?

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I bought a new Stihl MS460 Magnum a few years ago, and it's been a GREAT saw!
    With a 20" bar it's handy for smaller jobs, and will take up to a 26" bar for bigger jobs.
    With various bars it's filled my all needs in a chainsaw.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I have an old stihl 026 that is giving up the ghost. The kill switch is broken and it seems like a cylinder might be going bad (it pops every other compression). Instead of sinking money into it, I'm going to get a new one. So here's what I'm looking for...

I want something with a little more power that uses the same chains. I've got two sixteen inch chains and two twenty inch chains so I don't want them to go to waste. Is the MS290 more powerful than the 026? Any other suggestions?

If that 026 needs a new loving home I will offer it one :)

I still use my AV31 more than any other saw,I do not know to much about the MS model line though sorry.

Also here is a site that can answer any chainsaw question you have(from rebuilding to models ect..) http://arboristsite.com/

Last edited:

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Do you think it's worth rebuilding? It seems like it's a dog, but I really don't have experience to base that off of.

KingWeb50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    I have the 291 which is pretty comparable and it does everything I need it to do but I mostly use it for property trimming and fire wood. What kinds of things are you planning on using it for mostly? if its fire wood then yes there is plenty of power for that.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN

Isn't the 026 a pro saw? It sounds like it can be repaired, and if it's a pro saw it's worth repairing.

The 290 is a very popular saw, however it's not really any more powerful than the saw you have and it would be a downgrade. You would be going from a pro saw down to a mid-range use saw. A good upgrade in the pro saw category would be the MS362, that is probably the most popular pro-saw, and it has a very good reputation. The MS361 or 360 would be even better if you can find one of those (less emissions crap on them to suck power down). If you're fine downgrading saw class then you'd be looking at the MS311 or MS391 to really increase your power over what you have.

The 460 Mag recommended above is an entirely different animal. Consider that purchase very closely regarding how much you plan to use this. A 026 to 460 Mag upgrade is quite the jump (60% more power and 3 extra pounds of weight comparing existing similar model specs). The 460 is probably going to run you $1k+ new.

BTW, what are your intended uses?

The mid-range use saws are very good, but they just dont' stand up to being run every day (or so "they" say). I've run my modded MS170 into the ground and it still keeps ticking. But my definition of running it into the ground is using once per week on average. It was my first saw (it was cheap) and I used it to cut my first 5 years of firewood and it's still going strong.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Right now my 026 has no power. I can literally stop the chain at the beginning of a cut at full throttle
    Have you taken the muffler off to check the piston for scoring? That would be the first thing to check. If the piston doesn't look scored you may still want to put a compression gauge on it.

If it's not compression then there may be a few other things. Could be a bad base gasket. That can be as extreme as the saw not running at all, or it just won't run right because its not getting the proper AFR. I'm not sure how you would check the base gasket without pulling the P&C so that would be the last place I check.

Another cause could simply be the tuning. If it's too rich or lean it won't have much power at all and could possible die in the cut. Do you know how to properly tune a chainsaw? If not, either learn how, or take it to somebody that can just to make sure it's just not out of tune.

The kill switch is probably an easy fix. There is just a metal contact inside there that controls it. It's either the contact or the wire. Both should be easy fixes.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Right now my 026 has no power. I can literally stop the chain at the beginning of a cut at full throttle

Find your local dealer for stihl.They can either fix it or send it off to have it fixed.The most I have ever spent to have one fixed by them was around $150(new piston and rings).You have a nice saw,it is worth saving.If you still do not want it my offer to give it a new home still stands :)

Top Bottom