• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • INGunGuy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    Jeffersonville, Indiana
    I dont care if this woman was innocent or guilty and just found not guilty, I dont care, that is not the reason for this post.

The reason for this post is how the government now wants to be reimbursed for attempting to prosecute someone. What the hell is that all about? I mean come on now, you not only have to pay for your own defense, but now you have to pay the tyrants who prosecuted you.

Whether someone believes in their heart-of-hearts that a particular person may or may not be guilty of a heinous crime is not how the judicial system works, the person may have been found not guilty, that is what they are, NOT GUILTY. So because the tyrants didnt get the outcome they were expecting, they decide to go ahead and bill for "Services Rendered". Tyrants, they all are tyrants...

So lets see, you have to pay for your own prosecution, you have to pay the local fire department or they will come out and watch your home burn to the ground because you forgot to pay and work to save your neighbors home. You have to pay if the fire department comes to your home to put out a fire. So we as the citizen have to pay for all of these particular "Services" so where the hell is my tax money going?

Florida Prosecutors Bill $140G for Casey Anthony Case - FoxNews.com

INGunGuy

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Sounds pretty disturbing to me. Not only do you have to worry about your defense, you have to pay the other side to cost you more in said defense. Seems that the thought behind this is going towards the thought that only the rich can stay out of jail. Kinda goes against everything this country was founded on. It will be interesting to see the outcome of this situation.

Gun Bunny

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    Sounds like what you here about China, when they execute you, they bill your family for the cost of the bullets!

This is wrong, totally wrong!!!

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Yep - except bullets are a LOT cheaper than attorneys ....

Hey.... now THAT gives me an idea??!!! :D

I keed, I keed.... CarmelHP, KirkFreeman, and a few of you other legal beagles... watch your six...

radonc73

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    Lowell
    We are in a recession, maybe this will be the norm and we can all count on more arrests and not guilty verdicts as long as they make you pay for your own defence, procecution, airfare for everyone they want to fly in with hotel, the cost of your own meals in jail. Maybe they are on to something, here is what we do. Make prisoners pay for their own incarceration and not let them out until they pay it all off or the prison can have its own loan program so they make interest.

Bond 281

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Broomfield, CO
    We are in a recession, maybe this will be the norm and we can all count on more arrests and not guilty verdicts as long as they make you pay for your own defence, procecution, airfare for everyone they want to fly in with hotel, the cost of your own meals in jail. Maybe they are on to something, here is what we do. Make prisoners pay for their own incarceration and not let them out until they pay it all off or the prison can have its own loan program so they make interest.

I can only hope that this attempt to extort money is swiftly and ruthlessly shut down by higher courts. Imagine a legal system in which all you have to do is accuse somebody for a crime in order to bankrupt them.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Agreed. She was found not guilty and she should not be charged anything from the prosecution. They failed to do their job.

Except that she wasn't found not guilty. She was found not guilty of murder, but guilty of four counts of obstruction of justice. She was sentenced to four consecutive one year terms in prison, and was released after time served plus roughly two weeks.

I can only hope that this attempt to extort money is swiftly and ruthlessly shut down by higher courts. Imagine a legal system in which all you have to do is accuse somebody for a crime in order to bankrupt them.

How exactly is it extortion when a person found guilty of four felony counts is expected to repay the state for its prosecution?

Losers in court cases are often assessed court costs, whether criminal or civil. The only complaint I have is that courts don't award attorney costs to parties found not guilty, not liable, or otherwise prevails. I think it's a crime for the state to bankrupt somone when the state loses.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011

It wont be, they need to keep her in the news so she doesnt fade away too quickly and can sign a 2mil+ book deal

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    My take on this is that the Prosecutor is trying to score local political points so he can try to get re-elected. The Proscution so thouroughly botched the case that they lost and came away with extreme egg on their collective faces. No thye are jsut trying to make up for it. Probably guess that Anthony is going to make some $$$ off of media rights and they are jsut trying to bully their way to a hog trough.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    She, as a tax payer, has already paid for the prosecution as that office is funded by public tax dollars.

One thing that may support their argument is if they are saying that if Casey Anthony had not lied, the trial would not have occurred.

An analogy would be if you report your house on fire, the fire department comes and puts it out. If you falsely report a fire, they may charge you for the unnecessary run.

INGunGuy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    Jeffersonville, Indiana
    She, as a tax payer, has already paid for the prosecution as that office is funded by public tax dollars.

One thing that may support their argument is if they are saying that if Casey Anthony had not lied, the trial would not have occurred.

An analogy would be if you report your house on fire, the fire department comes and puts it out. If you falsely report a fire, they may charge you for the unnecessary run.

Fire departments are already charging people for coming to their homes to put out a fire...

Fire Department Bills for Basic Services Horrify Residents, Insurance Companies - ABC News

They are also allowing a house to burn to the ground because the homeowner forgot to pay the fire protection fee...

Tennessee Fire Fighters Watch Home Burn - NYTimes.com

Tyrannical government is all it is... That is what is country is coming to, tyranny at it's finest. No wonder I HATE THE GOVERNMENT but love my country.

Oh and about the "Fire protection fee" fine let my house burn to the ground, there isnt ANYTHING that cant be replaced, I have insurance, and it would be nice to have a brand new home built on top of the 35 year old place I have now. So I say burn baby burn...

INGunGuy

model67a

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    jasper
    InGunGuy, I wonder what your insurance company would say if the fire department stood and watched your house burn? I would think there would be a lot of legal activity going on. The insurance companies will salivate over a case like that!!

INGunGuy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    Jeffersonville, Indiana
    InGunGuy, I wonder what your insurance company would say if the fire department stood and watched your house burn? I would think there would be a lot of legal activity going on. The insurance companies will salivate over a case like that!!

Honestly I really dont know. I would be willing to bet that whatever insurance company was covering the guys house the fire department let burn to the ground added a provision to the policy that the homeowner MUST ensure the "Fire protection fee" is paid or the policy will not pay in the case of a fire. Just my thoughts though...

INGunGuy

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I love it how government gives it to people from both ends.

That's a hell of a racket.

I mean, you don't even need a good reason to arrest people to make money for the government.

Just snatch them off the street, lose the case, and bill them for your time. Brilliant!!!

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    Except that she wasn't found not guilty. She was found not guilty of murder, but guilty of four counts of obstruction of justice. She was sentenced to four consecutive one year terms in prison, and was released after time served plus roughly two weeks.

How exactly is it extortion when a person found guilty of four felony counts is expected to repay the state for its prosecution?

Losers in court cases are often assessed court costs, whether criminal or civil. The only complaint I have is that courts don't award attorney costs to parties found not guilty, not liable, or otherwise prevails. I think it's a crime for the state to bankrupt somone when the state loses.

midemeanors. she was convicted of four misdemeanors. hence the four consecutive one year terms. by it's definition a felony is a crime punishable by a term of imprisonment of more than one year. Why does everyone keep saying she was found guilty of four felonies? is it just bitter wishful thinking because they wanted to see her fry but she was exonerated of the most heinous charges against her?

And the idea that a person must pay for their own prosecution? That sounds so ridiculously fascist on it's face I'm amazed anyone could even say it out loud and keep a straight face in the "land of the free".

Top Bottom