• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    I'm sure some of you will recognize the picture, but I'm just wondering about this...no offense to anyone.
    picture.php

Porting off the chamber; how does it affect round performance?
    I've never seen porting that wasn't at the end of the barrel, and it seems like a lot of energy would be lost before the bullet had begun spinning, instead of just venting as it leave the muzzle...thoughts?

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I'm sure some of you will recognize the picture, but I'm just wondering about this...no offense to anyone.
    picture.php

Porting off the chamber; how does it affect round performance?
    I've never seen porting that wasn't at the end of the barrel, and it seems like a lot of energy would be lost before the bullet had begun spinning, instead of just venting as it leave the muzzle...thoughts?

this is just opinion NOT fact. i would think the bullet would still spin and stabolize. you might have to shoot diffrent wieght bullet. might be good for makeing rounds sub sonic for use with a suppressor?

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Anytime you are leaking gas pressure, you are loosing the speed of the projectile. The closer the ports are to the muzzle, the less you loose and vice a versa. Plain and simple. That is physics

Will a gun shoot with less projectile velocity? within parameters it will. I have a magna ported O/U shotgun that I won awards with, but it does shoot slower over the chronograph. I wish I hadn't had it done, because of the extra noise and trash being thrown out of the ports. The little velocity lost in those 32 inch barrels does not affect things very much.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    They are not for surpressors as the gun would expel to much gas before the baffles to be silent. Gas = noise.

I believe it is a offhand bulleye setup. Reduces muzzle flip and slows the bullet down for 25 yard shots.It is very strange with it looks to be 3 different sizes of holes. (could be 2 but it is a picture)

What platform is it on??????????

Porting back that far will tame muzzle flip and decrease FPS very quickly. I can tell you that it will spit out lots of gas flash that far back. I would like to see it fired at night. Like a fire breathing dragon......

Top Bottom