• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    My BIL took a day off work today to get some range time in, got to the park office to sign in around 9:30 and found that the range is now closed til 12:00 noon on Mondays and Fridays, can't even sign in til then. Seems the morons who leave garbage on the range have caused the park to have to clean up twice a week.:xmad: so heads up if you shoot there on mon or fri.

ghostpoint

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Well I generally have to work those mornings so doesn't affect me too much unless I get a day off and head out, but sucks that people leave that much out there and not clean up after themselves.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Yup they started that a few weeks back, they said they were doing it because people were leaving to much trash on the range an they needed more time to clean it up

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Bad thing was, my bil and one other guy signed in at noon, and were the only two on the sign in sheet, and when they got to the range, all the tables were full! The lady at the office said they didn't have the money to cite people who don't follow the rules. :dunno:

caverjamie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Dubois Co.
    I used to work at that forest...I couldn't believe how many bullet holes were in the pit toilet at that range. It made me laugh, a laugh of disbelief mainly. I couldn't believe people would shoot in the opposite direction of the backstop to hit that toilet, and of course there were ag fields and who knows what not too far away.

Harry2110

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Bad thing was, my bil and one other guy signed in at noon, and were the only two on the sign in sheet, and when they got to the range, all the tables were full! The lady at the office said they didn't have the money to cite people who don't follow the rules. :dunno:
    Wouldnt citing be a source of income :dunno:

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In

Man I cant tell ya how many times that has happend to me, One of the many reasons I try not to go there much anymore

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I would be willing to try on some sunday's going up there and cleaning up a bit, maybe we local INGO'ers could work a deal with the forestry people to help out?...I'm still confused as to why they don't allow shooting on sunday's? (got a ticket there 2 years ago for that!) By the way welcome to INGO TSL!

Last edited:

Mosineer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Yeah, the trash is what gets me... a couple of months back, I got signed in at 7:30 am, got to the range and there were two TV's, part of a table, misc junk and cardboard spread everwhere on the range, looked like a freak'in tsunomi had hit the place. It is hard to believe that they do not have someone to check on the range often enough to stop that stupidity and check sign ins. Just my opinon of course...I think Sundays are reserved for the LEO's to use the range:dunno:

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I would be willing to try on some sunday's going up there and cleaning up a bit, maybe we local INGO'ers could work a deal with the forestry people to help out?...I'm still confused as to why they don't allow shooting on sunday's? (got a ticket there 2 years ago for that!) By the way welcome to INGO TSL!

You may be onto something! I would be willing to do it.

bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    One of the main reasons shooting ranges get closed is for the lack of use. Maybe the range is full, but if no one sign's in, it's shows up as unused property. Another reason ranges get close is vandalism, those bullet holes in the johns are nails in a coffin for a range.

Think about it if a range shows no use (lack of people signing in) and they are having to repair signs, toilets, etc from bullet holes, what do you think could happen?

I always sign in and heaven forbid I see someone damaging property while I'm there.

ghostpoint

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I think if you asked most people at the range about they sign in they wouldn't know where to go or even know it was suppose to be a rule. Since the office is so far from the range itself most people most likely don't think anything about it.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I like the place, its close to home. And a gorgeous setting. But I agree, if you asked everyone seen there they probably wouldnt even know were to sign in (Even though it says clearly on the big sign when you pull up to park "everyone must sign in"). Yes Sundays are reserved for LEO only, which is cool I understand. The biggest reason I dont go as much, or the big reason I go early enough no one else is there. The last time I was there I was shooting one of my AR's an this old guy at the table next to me came over an just started picking up my brass and taking it! I said politely "bud im keeping my brass" he replied " oh, I didnt know you wanted it" I said thats why you should ask first:dunno:. But for the most part most of the people that go there are more than nice, and have struck up more than one conversation with other shooters. Then there are the ones that really dont know how to properly handle a firearm, which is kind of unnerving.

The thing Im conserned with most about the range is its going to get shut down because not as many people follow the rules as they should. But only time will tell. I just make sure I do what Im suppose to.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    I used to go there, but it started getting crowded, plus people seem to forget common courtesy and the simplist of range rules. Went down to the back and set up some clay pigeons for my son to snipe with his 22, saw people loading and aiming down range during my walk back. Not comforting...

Joined the Clark County Conservation Club in Utica, nice clean private range, covered, hardly anyone around when I go, and when I do run into people, real friendly and courteous. Great little bar and grill down by the river for after shooting, super prices. My wife, two kids and myself had dinner and a couple of beers for under $35.00

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Sounds like a nice place dsol, wish there was something like that a little closer. But I agree Ive seen some real lack of gun safty at that range.

AnonymousOne

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Clark State Forest Gun Range

Anyone interested in this range remaining open needs to sign up at the Clark State Forest office and leave a mailing address. There will most likely be a public meeting regarding the range in the next few months. If some resolutions to some problems are not addressed, the range will most likely be closed. Things to be discussed at this meeting would be the possiblilty of volunteers to help monitor/clean/upkeep the range, application of user fees/donations, possible upgrades and alternatives.
    I would like to state the facts about the range itself, as it now stands, as I see a lot of false information within the comments here.
    -The range is currently free-don't expect first class facilities, do expect some inconveniences such as the range being closed for certain reasons.
    -Starting in Sept., range hrs changed. It is now closed until noon on Mon. and Fri. If a holiday falls on Mon. or Fri., the noon opening time falls on Tues. or Thurs. This change was implemented to simplify things at the maintenance level. As I have seen stated here, the amount of household trash, i.e. propane tanks, recliners, tv's, computers, water heaters etc., has been increasing on the range. What should take a normal hour or two, sometimes turns into several trips to dispose of garbage. Therefore, noon gives maintenance plenty of time to get it done without having pressure from shooters to hurry up because they expect it to be open.
    -The range is closed on Sunday...not for law enforcement, but out of respect for a nearby church...the church is less than a mile away. The range can be heard for several miles, especially on busy days.
    -The range is also closed when law enforcement groups want to use it for qualifications or practice. This generally occurs a couple times a month...again, an inconvenience, but still free to this point.
    -The area is patrolled daily, but enforcement is next to impossible. The state relies on 'self-enforcement', or the threat of possibly being caught by law enforcement being non-compliant. This tactic works for a majority, but the few paint a bad picture for everyone.
    -Sign-in is mandatory and you can be fined for failing to do so. This gives the state usage numbers as well as information in the case of an accident. Again, it's free to this point...if the few miles it takes to sign in and out breaks you, try a private club.
    I am sure of these facts, and hopefully this will clear up some obvious common misconceptions. Overall, nothing with the range has changed much over the years. The biggest issue is the abuse of the area by what I am sure is a select few individuals. If you are interested in keeping the range open, contact Clark State Forest with your name and mailing address.

Top Bottom