• ...and so much more!
  • 1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Front what I read, the receiver is the registered part. You can change the configuration of that as long as you retain the ability to keep it a SBR its a SBR no matter what the barrel is. But I would not take my word as gosphel.

Steve B

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    KEWANNA
    It's not the receiver that's technically registered, it's the combination or "totallity" of parts. Why would you wish to make a permanent change? The simplest thing to do is simply keep the original barrel and then you are good to go. If not, you would most likely have to re-register your new combination and possibly pay for another stamp as you are technically making a new "totallity".

111NMC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I would definitley CALL and talk to someone at ATF.

I have an SBR AR-15, and my Form 4 states, 5.56 & 6.8.
    I would ask if you can simply amend it to add the new desired caliber, while still retaining the existing caliber.

amafrank

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Calling and talking to ATF will get you no useful information whatsoever. If you want a narrowly defined answer to a specific question your only legally binding (and not even then) avenue is to write a letter to tech branch. No info given over the phone is binding on them or you and is normally just the thoughts of whoever you speak with. That results in a lot of conflicting info and is never really correct.

As for the original posters question, if you want to do a legal and proper permanent change to your NFA firearm the method is simple. Send a letter to NFA branch stating your name, address, the serial number and model of the item in question, and tell them you are or have made a permanent change the the cal, barrel length or whatever you're doing and sign the letter. You may or may not get a reply from them especially now that they are overwhelmed with transfers. If you're really paranoid keep a copy of the change letter with the forms you have for the firearm. Its very simple, works well and sometimes you even get a reply that says, "thanks for helping us keep the NFRTR updated".

I've been around NFA since the 70's, had a license as a manufacturer for 14 years and have done a number of these letters for mods or destruction. Still around and have survived compliance checks without being arrested or even threatened. The FAQ that was pointed out to you has a lot of good info.
    Hope that helps
    Frank

I Love Bourbon

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    If you have an NFA question you can rest easy that the answer that you get from Frank is a correct and knowledgeable response that I would not question.
    He definitely knows his stuff, I've asked him questions at the shows a number of times and his answers always ring true. Thumbs up!

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Calling and talking to ATF will get you no useful information whatsoever. If you want a narrowly defined answer to a specific question your only legally binding (and not even then) avenue is to write a letter to tech branch. No info given over the phone is binding on them or you and is normally just the thoughts of whoever you speak with. That results in a lot of conflicting info and is never really correct.

As for the original posters question, if you want to do a legal and proper permanent change to your NFA firearm the method is simple. Send a letter to NFA branch stating your name, address, the serial number and model of the item in question, and tell them you are or have made a permanent change the the cal, barrel length or whatever you're doing and sign the letter. You may or may not get a reply from them especially now that they are overwhelmed with transfers. If you're really paranoid keep a copy of the change letter with the forms you have for the firearm. Its very simple, works well and sometimes you even get a reply that says, "thanks for helping us keep the NFRTR updated".

I've been around NFA since the 70's, had a license as a manufacturer for 14 years and have done a number of these letters for mods or destruction. Still around and have survived compliance checks without being arrested or even threatened. The FAQ that was pointed out to you has a lot of good info.
    Hope that helps
    Frank

^This.

Plus, I read a post over on arfcom that if you are looking for some sort of confirmation, send another copy of letter and a SASE with your letter and ask them to stamp it received. They will do this and send it back to you. This way, if you are concerned over it, you can at least have proof that you notified ATF.

digitalrebel80

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 97.4%
    38   1   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    New Whiteland
    ^This.

Plus, I read a post over on arfcom that if you are looking for some sort of confirmation, send another copy of letter and a SASE with your letter and ask them to stamp it received. They will do this and send it back to you. This way, if you are concerned over it, you can at least have proof that you notified ATF.
    Great thanks that is just what I needed

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    Wouldn't sending the letter by Registered Mail give the same results? Provided that you kept the paperwork from the Post Office with the rest of the SBR's paperwork? Just a thought that popped into my head as I read through the final posts on here.

amafrank

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Good luck getting registered return receipts from NFA branch. I know a lot of people (including me) who tried this and found that the govt is apparently exempt from signing the forms and getting them sent back. In any case there is no requirement to notify them of changes, they request the changes to help keep the registry updated. For that reason it is pretty obvious that there is no requirement that you do anything when you make changes. The only reason to even think about it other than to help keep the registry updated, is to not have idiot law enforcement asking you why your form says 14" barrel and you have a 12", or why the form says 30 cal when its .22 or .50. In reality you don't have to justify any of that to law enforcement though it may cost you time and money to defend against stupidity. Thats why keeping a copy of your notification may be helpful though not required. On the other hand your return receipt doesn't have any helpful info and gains you nothing.

Hope that explains that.
    Frank

Top Bottom