• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magnum

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 27, 2011
    North Indy
    INGO does a fantastic job of tracking the positive and (mostly) negative reactions to CC and OC firearms. I think the prevalence of negative encounters that border on absurdity reflect the need for LEO education on citizen rights, and the true statistics on related officer safety.

I am somewhat just creating this post to educate myself on how an attempt at remedying this would go. The problem is twofold- current officers need education, and academies need to better teach this information. That being said, negative officer reactions are the product of one of two things:

1) A genuine (but misguided) concern for their own safety, as a fear of being shot is a natural part of their job, and/or

2) overzealousness in a desire to carry out the enforcement of the law (about which they are underinformed or misinformed).

I am trying to be objective here, so please, no one turn this into a cop bashing thread. I think we need to be as understanding of #1 as we would like them to be of #2. This problem could only be corrected through departments being imbued with the initiative to educate their officers. What motivates organizations? Money. If departments were presented with the reality that misconduct by their officers in dealing with this issue could result in a lawsuit (like Departments X, Y, and Z in IN) maybe that would create some motivation. I don't know if a simple email sent to the chiefs/sheriffs statewide would at least prevent a few episodes? Anyone have thoughts on this? Maybe even a personal visit from a pro-2A attorney would generate more respect and interest. I think citing statistics from our side could be helpful, in terms of "In Indiana in the last 12 months alone, there have been 123 number of reports of harassment by officers that created a dangerous situation and opened the door for charges to be filed against the officer and the department, all over a simple misunderstanding that could be prevented with less than 30 minutes of education. Ironically, the law abiding citizens least likely to pose a threat to an officer are being met with greater criticism than legitimately malicious criminals. While these people are among the most respectful toward law enforcement, they receive considerably lower than normal respect from officers during encounters." Etc. I don't know how you could quantify it, most of what I just said is anecdotal (but true nonetheless).

The other half of the coin is that a lot of these incidents have the recurring theme that it is a young/new officer, meaning that the academies have the opportunity to remedy this as well. The academy already has 1,000,001 liability issues they have to try to cover I am sure, so this is just one more seemingly insignificant thing to them. I have seen people post that guns aren't even in the top 100 things that officers deal with regularly, so I don't expect training institutions to take a huge interest, but you never know- as the saying goes, INGO is everywhere. :shady:

I am trying to read between the lines here, but is anyone actually concerned that pushing for education about this will result in legislation or regulation, like Indiana being turned into a CC state?

Last edited:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    IMO, the best way to remedy the issue, is with money. Someone needs to organize and front the money for trainings focusing on armed citizen interactions.

ILEA is most certainly NOT the place for these trainings to occur. ILEA does a very, very good job in training new officers of the basics, and Charles Braun (the criminal law professor), while quirky, is top notch in every sense of the word in teaching.

The problem, is that things taught at ILEA are regularly trumped by the way a specific department goes about business.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    What i would suggest is petitioning the academy to allow a 1 hour block of instruction in the academy curriculum. There is on going training but i believe you have to be ILEA certified to teach it in order for the officers to get credit. I would suggest contacting ILEA in plainfield and having an attorney on the staff set up a training block for the continuing studies.

Keep in mind, you carry a gun and criminals carry guns. Cops don't know which side you're on. A pink piece of paper that says 10 years ago you were ok is little consolation. Today on the west side an officer was shot at on a traffic stop, that guy had an LTCH. 2 weeks ago the guy that shot at the cop after raping the girl also had his LTCH. Any city cop who has worked for 2 years on the street has been shot at so i think it's understandable that they're leery around guns. More education that there are good people that carry guns is definitely needed. The two outlined suggestions are your best bet. You can also have a group of ingo-ers petition the public safety director to be sure the curriculum is incorporated.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    What i would suggest is petitioning the academy to allow a 1 hour block of instruction in the academy curriculum. There is on going training but i believe you have to be ILEA certified to teach it in order for the officers to get credit. I would suggest contacting ILEA in plainfield and having an attorney on the staff set up a training block for the continuing studies.

Keep in mind, you carry a gun and criminals carry guns. Cops don't know which side you're on. A pink piece of paper that says 10 years ago you were ok is little consolation. Today on the west side an officer was shot at on a traffic stop, that guy had an LTCH. 2 weeks ago the guy that shot at the cop after raping the girl also had his LTCH. Any city cop who has worked for 2 years on the street has been shot at so i think it's understandable that they're leery around guns. More education that there are good people that carry guns is definitely needed. The two outlined suggestions are your best bet. You can also have a group of ingo-ers petition the public safety director to be sure the curriculum is incorporated.

I think that if the academy issues such trainings, they should be outsourced to the respective departments. I'm telling you man, if it's just a part of the curriculum, it won't be taken to heart when officers return to their "home" PDs.

When I first got out of the academy, my FTO literally said, "with the exception of criminal law, forget everything you learned at the academy. We'll teach you our way of doing things" .

Magnum

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 27, 2011
    North Indy
    Thanks for the input guys. I have fortunately had zero interactions myself, but in reading the posts that appear virtually daily I want to do what I can now to contribute to progress. I am neither rich nor particularly influential in LE circles, so there's basically nothing I could do outside of devote time and effort to organization. I never want to log in to INGO and see someone post that they lost their LTCH, were jailed, or physically harmed because of their choice to exercise their rights. This is happening with alarming frequency and it's pathetic how avoidable it is with perhaps an hour long lecture. Wait, is there hope that could be the answer? A DVD or video mailed to every department? They probably wouldn't take it seriously unless a reputable department produced it. We'd need someone to produce and edit the video, and a department to do the talking. They could first outline the law and be very clear as to what it really states. Then, they could suggest a means of dealing with the issue in a professional, respectful, and safe manner. Finally, they could act out a few scenarios that are straight from the INGO boards. I bet you could get a video actually made for a very low price and of course DVD's are dirt cheap. Distribute them statewide with some minor INGO financial backing and BAM, we have changed this issue forever.

The real question is will a department accept training materials coming to them through a channel outside of their usual sources?

Magnum

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 27, 2011
    North Indy
    Just conceal carry.

I do. I still think that there is room for CC'ers to have negative experiences through people seeing their gun and calling the police, automotive situations/traffic stops, and instances of searches.

CC'ers have to worry that as they get their driver's license out during a traffic stop, an officer may see the license or their gun (or related items) during a stop. Officers sometimes ask if you have weapons in the car (that aged dilemma). CCer's have to worry that if they consent to a search the officer may discover they are carrying and become upset they did not disclose it. CCer's have to be concerned that they could decline consenting to a search and have one performed anyway, arousing increased hostility. CCer's have to worry that they could be a the grocery store, drop something, pick it up, and be greeted later by officers at the door who were called by someone who called them in as a lunatic hiding a gun in his pants and acting suspicious. CCer's have to worry about calling the police about needs (vehicle inspection, crime reports, etc) and having an officer show up and spot their weapon or signs of a weapon.

While you clearly reduce the likelihood of negative encounters, there is still PLENTY of room to have a situation that goes like CC'er + LTCH + gun + ignorant LEO = confrontation like we see over and over in this subforum. Something is wrong when you have non-professionalism, scolding/shaming, insulting, harassment, unwarranted seizure of weapons, discharge from property by officers, and so on.

So in short, CC'ing reduces the likelihood of an encounter, but doesn't eliminate it. What everyone wants changed is the nature of the encounters when they do happen. If the routine thing to do was, say, to very respectfully cross my license with my driver's license, check to see I have no felonies, and then MAYBE run my pistol's serial numbers (I'd prefer that precedent not be set for safety reasons), then so be it. But there is no real protocol because no one is teaching or suggesting protocol.

I think we have plenty of people here with the connections and the knowledge to make it happen, it's just a matter of desire and initiative. Perhaps funding as well, but I don't think we would have a problem generating funds for that.

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    You have some good points here.
    If an officer does know the law, it seems it would be up to him or her whether they feel like showing respect to citizens who carry. It works the same with the general public to though. Even though it's the law and they may know it is, doesn't mean they'll respect it.
    When this happens, people will just quit supporting it.
    I'm just throwing in a potential roadblock to what could be a good thing. I don't carry but if I'm wrong by supporting it, just let me know. I don't think it's necessary to carry to have a debate but I think some do.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    This is a two way street though. We only hear one side of it and it's always anecdotal. There's never some type of recording to accompany it. I'm not trying to discredit anything, but there's two recurring themes, the officer has an attitude and a superior complex. I say that because a lot of people think the same about me, but once they get to know me they realize it's just how I am. In my opinion, the only way to change this is to get some evidence of this and take it to each department on a case by case basis. You can go to a department and say something, but they're going to claim it doesn't happen in their department.

Josh Ward

Master
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 13, 2008
    Fortville/Greenfield
    Just conceal carry.

You know what, I get sick and damn tired of this response everytime someone brings this subject up. Its OUR DAMN RIGHT to carry how ever we choose. You dont see the active OC'ers bashing and pissing on the active CC'ers....... Why are so many of you anti OC?? It makes no sense what so ever.

For the record, I'm Bi, CC and OC depending on many things....we as supposed pro-gun/pro-carry/pro-rights should support and encourage any legal method of carry.

:twocents::twocents::twocents:

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The negative opinions run both sides of the aisle. In a previous job, I worked closely with a lot of LEO's and court folks. And I had a great respect for all of them. But as my experiences change (and I believe this is true for most of us) and we start seeing and experiencing more of this negative reaction from LEO's.....we become more negative too.

Maybe what we ought to try to do, is foster some camaraderie between ourselves and the local law enforcement folks. Maybe have a cookout....some shooting fun, and invite them to participate. And we could toss in some informational updates about the changes in gun laws...for ALL of us (we shouldn't target it at just them). Call it a local law enforcement appreciation day.

If they know us by face and name....they are far less likely to cause us grief. And us them.

I am fortunate, I know several (including the county sheriff) because our kids play sports together, and have for years. And some from my time in the PGR (not as active as I once was).

Honey always seems to work better than a big stick. Don't get me wrong...sometimes a big stick is the perfect tool. ;)

Josh Ward

Master
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 13, 2008
    Fortville/Greenfield
    As a side note, I suspect rather stongly that for every "negative" encounter we read about on here that there are many many positive or neutral encounters that no one ever mentions.....

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I think that if the academy issues such trainings, they should be outsourced to the respective departments. I'm telling you man, if it's just a part of the curriculum, it won't be taken to heart when officers return to their "home" PDs.

When I first got out of the academy, my FTO literally said, "with the exception of criminal law, forget everything you learned at the academy. We'll teach you our way of doing things" .

And this is exactly why it needs to be approached on a community level. We ALL live together...we all have LEO's as neighbors.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    You know what, I get sick and damn tired of this response everytime someone brings this subject up. Its OUR DAMN RIGHT to carry how ever we choose. You dont see the active OC'ers bashing and pissing on the active CC'ers....... Why are so many of you anti OC?? It makes no sense what so ever.

For the record, I'm Bi, CC and OC depending on many things....we as supposed pro-gun/pro-carry/pro-rights should support and encourage any legal method of carry.

:twocents::twocents::twocents:

I am with you on this. I do both, but when it's warm, I definitely prefer to OC...more comfortable, and no clothing to get in the way of drawing your weapon. And no, I don't OC in a speedo either.....if i wore a speedo, I would FULLY expect and DESERVE to be arrested. :D

Top Bottom