• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I’ll admit to not reading the entire thread so I’ll apologize if opinions similar to mine have already been stated.
    I love charcoal grilling. I hate the taste and smell of most methods of getting charcoal going. I am on my second Weber Performer grill. First was lost in house fire. This second was purchased soon after. It uses one of the small propane bottles to get the coals going. Pile up the charcoal over the burner and fire it up. 5-10 minutes of propane heat is usually enough to get them started and another 5 or 10 and you’re ready to cook. No nasty taste or smell of lighter fluid or burnt newspaper. For general grilling, I wouldn’t want anything else.

Matt

We'll probably be scouting for a Performer later in the year or get ourselves one for Christmas. I like having the option of charcoaling vs propane but admit there are a lot of days my lazy bone just hits the igniter on the Genesis. I've found that it takes about 10 minutes to even get a propane grill ready to throw the meat to so it's not so much a time issue as it is a lazy issue.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    We'll probably be scouting for a Performer later in the year or get ourselves one for Christmas. I like having the option of charcoaling vs propane but admit there are a lot of days my lazy bone just hits the igniter on the Genesis. I've found that it takes about 10 minutes to even get a propane grill ready to throw the meat to so it's not so much a time issue as it is a lazy issue.

Idk, if I'm using a gas grill, my train of thought says i might as well use my gas stove.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside

Im not sure if it’s the way I’m reading this or I may have misled you a bit, the performer grill only cooks with charcoal and the propane is only for getting the charcoal lit.

Matt

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Oh now, you know it's better on the grill even if it's gas. Besides the grill is easier to clean up!

I've found that the time it takes to get the charcoal ready to cook on closely correlates to the amount of time that it takes to drink a beer... or two. So it encourages multi-tasking. :)

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Lots of lessons learnt today with the ribs. Not enough time on a weekday after work. Tweaking the rub ingredients ratios.

The temp control is easy if you keep an eye on it.

Also, grilling in ther rain is kinda fun.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I've found that the time it takes to get the charcoal ready to cook on closely correlates to the amount of time that it takes to drink a beer... or two. So it encourages multi-tasking. :)

Beets were had, and by the time diver was done, dishes were cleaned up.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder

See what looking at a problem from a different perspective brings you? I hadn't even considered the "opportunity" that waiting for the coals to ready offered!:cheers: Gotta watch out for beet divers though.

Top Bottom