• ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The problem is... "it's complicated". Complicated by feelings, complicated by hope, complicated by disconnected pricing information, etc.

I'm not arguing one way or the another on "who decides?", just pointing out the points of failure in those negotiations. I would guess that sometimes there must be someone that can look at it impartially.

I guess.

Of course it's complicated. The last part is the part I disagree with. Who's business is it to say there must be someone impartial, and who gets to determine who the impartial party is? And who gets to determine how much power they have? To me, the balance of where that line goes is very close to it's non of their ****ing business except when actual harm is evident. Evident. Not just theoretically possible.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    The parents had come up with money, so they weren't taking any from the "system".
    Even though the treatment was experimental, the docs could have learned some things to maybe help the next kid.
    If you leave it up to the bureaucracies, docs will be "letting the bad blood out".

gopher

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    Zionsville, IN
    The parents had come up with money, so they weren't taking any from the "system".
    Even though the treatment was experimental, the docs could have learned some things to maybe help the next kid.
    If you leave it up to the bureaucracies, docs will be "letting the bad blood out".

Not sure I'm taking your "docs will be letting the bad blood out" comment the way you meant it, but there are pretty strong medical malpractice laws here in the US and I would assume also in the UK.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Not sure I'm taking your "docs will be letting the bad blood out" comment the way you meant it, but there are pretty strong medical malpractice laws here in the US and I would assume also in the UK.

Yes there are (here).
    Name all the medical advances the UK has come up with since WWII.

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County

If they let Charlie leave the system, and the treatment worked, that would not only show the failure of the NHS, but other parents would be clamoring for the treatment from the NHS in the future. Can't have that - there's a reason patient deaths to tend to spike toward the end of their fiscal year.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    [video=youtube;Ch-SgOfQTMY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ch-SgOfQTMY[/video]
    If they let Charlie leave the system, and the treatment worked, that would not only show the failure of the NHS, but other parents would be clamoring for the treatment from the NHS in the future. Can't have that - there's a reason patient deaths to tend to spike toward the end of their fiscal year.

Top Bottom