• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dhisle

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2012
    Union County. Indiana
    purchased a 500+ box of winchester .22. so far about 8-10 percent of them have been junk. they do not not go off. a buddy of mine pulled the heads off a couple of the duds with a pair of plyers, and there was NO powder in the round. has anyone else had this issue? would it do anygood to contact manufacturer?

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    I'm suprised to hear that. Winchester super x has always been my choice for 22. I've never had a problem with them. Sorry to hear about that though. Id definitely try contacting them. It may be from ceratin lot # they have or least should recall.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I had similar issues. Read my thread here

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/207146-finicky_sig_mosquito_22lr.html

Basically, I kept having a lot of light strikes out of Winchester Ammo, but not nearly as many out of anything else. That leads me to think that perhaps the rim on these is slightly thinner than other brands. Regardless, I've learned that .22's seem to be somewhat picky anyhow and so I've bought a few different boxes to try out and see what it likes.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I have some Winchester right now. However, it, along with Remington is a last resort for me. I have found Federal Champion to be the most reliable .22 bulk I have tried.

Last edited:

Quad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I have some Winchestrr right now. However, it, along with Remington is a last resort for me. I have found Federal Champion to be the most reliable .22 bulk I have tried.

Federal works well for me also.

The only real problems I've had have been from that Remington bulk .22 junk.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Maybe there was a bad batch put out last year. I bought a bunch of Winchester last year and it would not work in any semi-auto I had. Both the 10/22 and the P22 choked on it. I switched to the Remington bulk and everything works again.

The odd thing is that a buddy of mine swears by the same stuff and says it works fine in everything he runs it through.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    I must be one of the fortunate ones. I've not fired any Winchester .22's recently, but I've gone through a bunch of Remingtion, Federal, and CCI's, and I've had virtually no issues.

pitbull1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I shot a couple hundred rounds of TulAmmo last weekend out of a Hipoint .45....Other than being dirty I had 0 issues. Can't comment on the Winchester however, no 22's for me :(

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I bought a box of Winchester the other day and it is junk! My WM didn't have any Remington in stock, so I took a chance and I certainly regret it.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I would contact Winchester and let them know your issue and the lot # of the ammo. They might replace the ammo and they need to know about problems to fix them. I normally use CCI or Federal in my 22s. Remington is my last choice with Winchester right above that.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I had about 5% Ftf with Winchester bulk in my MP15-22. Federal on the other hand has been great. Only 1or2 in over 600 rds fired.

sidewinder27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    Plainfield
    I fired Winchester .45 until I started having problems with them. I was never very fond of their ammo but it sell for a decent price at Walmart. The problems I had were bad primers, primers seated to deep, lead not seated far enough in brass and lead not seated straight thus bulging out the brass. Now I reload because.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Over the years I have found about 5 duds per box on average in just about every brand of bulk .22 available. I pull the lead to remelt into something else, so it's not a total loss.

kjf40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Lake county
    sheesh, i dont normally buy remington ammo...but walmart had 30/30 - 20 rnds for $15.+, so i grabbed two boxes.....hope they are worthy....lol

Ammo prices at WM dont seem to have moved much in the last few months though.

Top Bottom