• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TJSieling

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 10, 2010
    Indianapolis - West Side
    I know, sometimes cheap and quality are completely contradictory, but what better place to ask than here.

I'm looking for a katana, well built, that could take a bit of a beating and still not have any loose pieces to it. I'm new to knives and such, and am very unfamiliar with brand names.

Do you know of any good quality swords that could be somewhat affordable without requiring payments or loans? :D

And a select few expensive ones for later on when I've saved a bit?

TJSieling

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 10, 2010
    Indianapolis - West Side
    I don't think I could afford more than $125 right now for a katana, seeing as that's about the average price that I'm seeing, but eventually, I think i could probably put more into one.

Any links to sites for maintenance, seeing as I seem to lack maintenance on everything but my gun (most of the knives I have are covered in dust, and I'd like to clean them, oil for swords, techniques and such?).

TJSieling

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 10, 2010
    Indianapolis - West Side
    Barrett Custom Knives - Home For the ultimate and yes,he is in Indiana!

If you want a beat,slash & hack stuff,go to the gun show and buy one of the Chinese J2 steel swords. If you want a better product...well,there is a Busse for sale on INGO.

I about s*** myself looking at the prices, and just as much so when I was looking at the blades and wiping drool.

Those are amazing! Certainly something to look at when I hit the lottery lol

TJSieling

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 10, 2010
    Indianapolis - West Side
    what are you looking to beat on?

Not so much something to beat on, but I could ask you why you keep them too, and look at your answer. :):

I want to collect, and also learn how to use them. A hobby more or less, but samurais fascinate me, and I've studied them before, though not in any depth to consider me more than a novice, but I would like to get back onto studying again.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    if your just looking at cutting tatami and such then look at the cas hanwei blades.

Japanese Swords - CASHanwei.com

I HAD(and regret selling it) a swamp rat waki and bought it because it was bad ass, I might add that I actually did cut down a tree with it and lent it out to a few others that did the same and when got it back it would still shave my arm.

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    if your just looking at cutting tatami and such then look at the cas hanwei blades.

I HAD(and regret selling it) a swamp rat waki and bought it because it was bad ass, I might add that I actually did cut down a tree with it and lent it out to a few others that did the same and when got it back it would still shave my arm.

Not that it's necessary to mention or anything, but I was one of those "others" who chopped down a 6" diameter tree with Tyler's Swamp Rat Rodent Waki.... I own one myself now, they are truly wicked blades, and cannot be beat at the price point of $350~$400.

TJSieling

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 10, 2010
    Indianapolis - West Side
    Not that it's necessary to mention or anything, but I was one of those "others" who chopped down a 6" diameter tree with Tyler's Swamp Rat Rodent Waki.... I own one myself now, they are truly wicked blades, and cannot be beat at the price point of $350~$400.

Can I get the actual name of it? Searching for it using what I have and can't find it.

EDIT: I just seen the video in the WTS forum, and all I'm going to say is "............whoa". That's some amazing stuff, and makes my 440 swords look like toys. Truly something that I would be scared to hold.

Last edited:

TJSieling

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 10, 2010
    Indianapolis - West Side
    At that price point it's going to be tough to get anything other than a very, very cheap sword.

My recommendation was going to be the lower priced stuff from Cold Steel. For their price they are functional. but they are still more than you are wanting to spend.

Samurai Swords : Katanas, Wakazashi, Tanto, and other Japanese Styled Sword f

The only reason that i had put a number that low was because I apparently was under a rock when it came to sword quality. I'm going to start saving a bit to get a decent one. I can't see myself coming up with $1,500 in the next ten years, but I'll definitely find something decent. Thanks for the links, everyone, anymore are welcome!

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN

I was one of the others. It was a blast but I wish the handle was a little bigger.

Top Bottom