• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Are you going to play into your sisters game and give her exactly what she wants? Listen, I'd ask my best friend the same damn thing if you were him, so I'm not picking on you. Step back. Look at this situation.
    Your sister could help her out by getting a ****ing job and keep her legs closed.

Man, you are obviously a good person. A good son and a good brother and uncle. But dont let her take advantage of you. If this happens it will just become one more burden trust me, I can see this playing out

This exact thought crossed my mind and then I realized it's not the OP's decision. The Mom must make these decisions. I don't have to agree with the way she does things.
    I wish I could help your family with cheap internet suggestions.

ALQ

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2012
    Fort Wayne area
    One thing I have learned in life is people like your mom and sister end up being worse off when you keep bailing them out. People need to face the tough consequences for their decisions. Your mother chose to spend her money to get her a new car and insurance, etc. Well, then there should be no internet in the house since your mom can't afford it and your sister won't get a job to pay for it. Again, consequences. And in your asking for recommendations you said "no DSL". Why not? People who don't have money or won't work should not have the luxury of high speed service. Beggars can't be choosers.

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    One thing I have learned in life is people like your mom and sister end up being worse off when you keep bailing them out. People need to face the tough consequences for their decisions. Your mother chose to spend her money to get her a new car and insurance, etc. Well, then there should be no internet in the house since your mom can't afford it and your sister won't get a job to pay for it. Again, consequences. And in your asking for recommendations you said "no DSL". Why not? People who don't have money or won't work should not have the luxury of high speed service. Beggars can't be choosers.

I will help bail out, but it is limited to what won't get abused or squandered. I don't think I said no DSL. It is something I would look at. I just don't want dial up.

You know it is bad when my Children want to buy my Mother gifts (Christmas birthday etc) and ask me what to get her, that she will not pass on to my sister.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I can see your mom wanting to give her daughter a place to live for her and her kids. But, why would your mom expect you to worry about it?

The answer may be that your mom raised her daughter to be the way she is - Irresponsible and entitled; and maybe your mom raised you to be the way you are - A doormat.

I firmly believe that parents sometimes raise their kids to fill those roles (ask me how I know). The good news is that you may have been raised to be a doormat, but you are the one who gets to decide whether you continue to be one.

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    I can see your mom wanting to give her daughter a place to live for her and her kids. But, why would your mom expect you to worry about it?

The answer may be that your mom raised her daughter to be the way she is - Irresponsible and entitled; and maybe your mom raised you to be the way you are - A doormat.

I firmly believe that parents sometimes raise their kids to fill those roles (ask me how I know). The good news is that you may have been raised to be a doormat, but you are the one who gets to decide whether you continue to be one.

I guess I am not a doormat, (maybe I am) But I do seem to be good at putting the pieces together.... My mother about lost the house a while back trying to support my sister. So I stepped in and saved it. But I told my Mother that before I do that I get all of her income, all of the bills and a POA. It has been a bit of a mess. But I deal with it for my Mother. I wonder if I shoudl have walked away and let everything fall apart. But I would have hated to do that to my Mother.

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    Ok for the crew that is following.... It is a teeter totter... You can get internet through Comcast or AT&T for about $10 a month. But my Mother needs a landline. Cell service is crap where she lives. Actually all over here. Right now she is paying about $40 for phone and $40 for the net. If the net goes down to $10 the phone will go up to $60 something. I think the best is cut the Direct and let them fight it out with an antenna. AT&T offers a cheap phone, but you need to have the net. Then have to pay expensive long distance. We have a lot of relatives out of state.

Thanks for all the input.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I guess I am not a doormat, (maybe I am) But I do seem to be good at putting the pieces together.... My mother about lost the house a while back trying to support my sister. So I stepped in and saved it. But I told my Mother that before I do that I get all of her income, all of the bills and a POA. It has been a bit of a mess. But I deal with it for my Mother. I wonder if I shoudl have walked away and let everything fall apart. But I would have hated to do that to my Mother.

I was once in a situation similar to yours, except that I have multiple siblings. Without going in to details, I finally came to the conclusion recently that I didn't want to hate anyone after my mom was gone, and that the only way I could see for that to happen was to cut them all loose. I've never been through a real divorce, but I think now I have an idea what it's like. It was pretty stressful for a while, but it's getting easier every day. It would be wrong for my or anyone else to tell you what to do, but the best piece of advice I can give is to try to look at the situation as dispassionately as you can and ask yourself why you are involved and what you hope to accomplish.

I'm sure that things will work out well (I mean with finding cheap internet). ;)

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    I'm sure that things will work out well (I mean with finding cheap internet). ;)

Ha I just talked to my Mother and told her the best would be the antenna and get rid of the dish all together. She seemed to be for it. Surprised me. I think even she thinks it would be the kick to get the pot smoking tv watcher off her ass. Maybe not doing a lot, but get her moving a little more. Gradual steps.

Top Bottom