• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • xdmstu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Lower NE Indy
    Dunham's has (at least in the flyer I see online)
    64 SEMI-AUTO COMBO
    * Semi-auto 10 rd. .22 lr, 4 x 15 mm scope and rings included.

and also

MARLIN 795 SEMI AUTO 22 COMBO
    * 18" barrel, 10 shot clip magazine, adjustable sights with swivel studs. * Bonus scope included.
    SAVE $55 YOUR FINAL PRICE!!! Reg. $160 129.99 -25.00 MFG MAIL IN REBATE

Weekly Circular – Dunham's Sports

THIS +1... Take the $ you save and buy lots of ammo and some metal plinking targets. Marlin is reliable and accurate without needing to upgrade. I bought the 795 w/o scope last week at G Mtn for $99 after rebate. Dunham deal is even better.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    Ruger 10/22...while you don't need to upgrade, once you have one, you will soon be wanting to add this, add that, etc. Soon, you're $200 10/22 is now a $400 rifle. Go ahead and get one and get the itch.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    reliable?......hands down Henry Lever action...your kids there kids will still be shootin' it...a little more than 200 though..

ragnar

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    West side of Indy
    honestly, I would go to you local gun shop, and find an old beat up mossberg 22. my first rifle purchase was a 151k. It was $75 OTD and shoots laser beam groups at 50 yds

Calvin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Bloomington, IN
    As Hamster said, the 10/22 does have a lot of upgrades available for it. You can easily drop a grand + in a 10/22.

...and if you do drop that kind of cash into one you can kick yourself because you could have spent 2/3 the money on a 30 or 40 year old world class target rifle that your $1000.00 10/22 will never be able to match in terms of accuracy.

If you want real accuracy, buy a target rifle. If you want a plinker, buy a 10/22. If you want a more accurate plinker, buy a 10/22 and dump a bunch of cash into it.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    ...and if you do drop that kind of cash into one you can kick yourself because you could have spent 2/3 the money on a 30 or 40 year old world class target rifle that your $1000.00 10/22 will never be able to match in terms of accuracy.

If you want real accuracy, buy a target rifle. If you want a plinker, buy a 10/22. If you want a more accurate plinker, buy a 10/22 and dump a bunch of cash into it.

i would put this against any 1k 22lr target rifle.....less than 600 in it....come on down and try it:D

2je5ykh.jpg

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    .22's are not likely to be worn out from shooting, A model 60 might require a buffer change if someone used brake cleaner spray. Most all will function fine used.

I started off shooting a Stevens model 15 single shot bolt as a bird/dirt clod/tin can and tree rat rifle. I bought it for 30 dollars at a garage sale. Just a non scoped single shot rifle but I still have it and use it as a trapping gun. Setup now for cb shorts at point blank range. Best 30 dollars I ever spent. I think it was made in the late 1930's

Keep looking used, 1986 and before birth date. Im my opinion give you the build quality over all. A piece of maybe walnut/birch stock instead of plastic, Most makers were kicking them out in large numbers and lots of them used to pick from.
    10-22 the standard plinker
    Marlin 60 and tube feed on the old ones gives you twice the shots before reloading as a 10-22,
    Stevens made little and big auto's back then,
    Remington speedmaster lets you shoot shorts longs and long rifles which many cannot.
    Norinco's adt-22 is a copy of the browning sa-22 can be purchased around 250.
    Henry makes the model h001 for a little more plus you have to buy some metal parts but neat little lever actions.
    Now if you open up to Also look at wards, sears, ted williams, glenfield, or wester auto they had many makers like win, marlin and high standard make they rifles they rebranded. They get past over alot as no one seems to care that the Winchester company made that ted williams rimfire.

Calvin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Bloomington, IN
    i would put this against any 1k 22lr target rifle.....less than 600 in it....come on down and try it

I would, but your and my shooting abilities are probably not equal. A better test would be for you to produce match results in which a 10/22 like yours has bested a field of dedicated match rifles. I have read alot of match results, and haven't seen such a thing. Come to think of it, I haven't seen alot of 10/22s on those lists at all.

I'm not some big benchrest and silhouette shooter, but I have been spending a lot of time on various rimfire forums. It would appear to be an established fact that 10/22s cannot compete in those divisions. You should head over to rimfirecentral.com and post your pic and your challenge there. I'm sure there would be many eager takers waiting in the wings.

As the OP pointed out, he is getting a rifle for target shooting. I am simply pointing out that better shooting rifles are to be had. The OP also pointed out that he is looking for a $200.00 semi, which would indicate that a stock 10/22 might just be the best rifle for him. If he elects to change his purchase parameters to get a more expensive rifle solely for accuracy sake, I think it would be misinformation to state that $600-1000.00 worth of 10/22 and upgrades would garner the best results.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    You should head over to rimfirecentral.com and post your pic and your challenge there. I'm sure there would be many eager takers waiting in the wings.
    ...i belong there.....i'm just saying that a good match rifle can be semi auto....

kriggo15

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Southern IN
    Thanks for all the replies. I ended up picking up a new 10/22 for 200. Just wanted something to plink with and have fun with and possibly upgrade when the time comes.

Looks like this is thread is heading towards "My gun can beat up your gun"...

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    I bought a Kel Tec su-22 at Bradis for 189.00 on a special. Light weight and runs like a champ. Thank you Bradis. They're on the other side from Indy from me, but always worth the trip.

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    central IN
    My Marlin 795 (think magazine fed model 60) is more accurate than my stock Ruger 10/22. I have a custom Ruger 10/22 that is slightly more accurate, but it costs and weighs much more than the Marlin. The Mossberg is a fine rifle too.

If you like peep sights, there are excellent aftermarket ones available for all three. Great for Appleseed shoots and informal competition.

other guy

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    Peru Indiana
    YOU CAN BUY THE MARLIN OR SAVAGE A LITTLE CHEAPER BUT AFTER ALL IS SAID AND DONE YOU WILL REGRET NOT SPENDING A LITTLE MORE AND GETTING THE RUGER 10/22. other guy

btgarner0

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 20, 2010
    Southern IN
    Bottom line is that you will get what you pay for. I understand that you are on a budget, alot of us are as well. Marlins ,Rugers Savages, all those are great rifles and very reliable. If you are not in a hurry to get a .22 and are willing to save, I recommend the Ruger 10-22. IF I may suggest, also try local pawn shops, Every once in awhile you will find an excellent deal on a used one.

Top Bottom