• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    I picked up a cheap scope for a AR. It's a no name scope ( FieldSport ) that is a 2.5 - 10. Now the glass is good and clear and it seems to be repeatable. First problem was it has a lever that tightens the scope to a rail. Well I couldn't get it adjusted and think it was bent. So I removed the base and replaced it with one that I bought and adapted it to fit.

Took it out yesterday to zero it in. It took about 25 rounds to get it zeroed with green tips. With what I paid for the barrel I was happy for the 1.5 to 2" groups I was shooting considering it was built to answer bumps in the middle of the night.

After finishing up I reached down and picked up the rifle by the scope and it moved. I took it in the house and checked it out. I replaced the scope with a 2-7 Weaver and went back out and got it zeroed in about 10 rounds using green tips. Much better. Glass between the two the Weaver was clearer. Also the groups wet from 2" being the norm to 1" to 1.5" being the norm. So the scope had to be moving all along.

Not being one to give up on stuff and having more time on my hands than money I took the scope back apart and I used Loctite on the screws that held the base to the scope. I brushed the bottom of the base and the top of the locking base. Having cleaned the two parts I put a thin coat of a product that I have used before ( Lab-metal ). I put a thin coat on the base then screwed the two parts together. Cleaned up the extra that oozed out. After it cures I will try it again on a 10 22 and see if it works. If that works I will move it back to the AR.

I like the power range of the little scope and as I said the glass isn't bad and it seems to be repeatable. Now if it will just not move.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    lab metal is trick stuff....I have used it to rebuild drill jigs,machine tool fixtures,and once I used to hold the sleeves in place on a 700 inch hemi engine.....neat stuff!!!

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    I have used it for a lot of repairs through the years. It seems to have worked well on the scope. It should lock the screws as well as bond the two parts together. So far so good. I put about 150 rounds of cci through the 1022 and everything is good to go. I will be putting it back on the AR and give it a go. After about 20 rounds through the AR I will check if for movement. I think it will be fine now.

Top Bottom